Non-Lady Vol news 2018-19

Only problem with that is that I really don't think she has the talent. This year 2.5 mpg averaging 0.3 ppg. Last year 3.9 mpg averaging 0.4 ppg. UConn has a very short bench and if she had anything to offer she would get PT. The other bench players are averaging over 10 ppg. I might catch crap for saying this, but I think she was a big recruiting mistake. I doubt very much that she'll end up on a ranked team.

Yeah I have a feeling she'll end up in Texas, somewhere like TCU or Rice. It is hard to say whether she has the talent or not with so little playing time. You do see players leave UCONN occasionally who got no playing time but end up being stars elsewhere. Appears most of their playing time is determined by practice and how you fit into their system. If you will not play within Geno's system you aren't playing.

Having watched Espinoza-Hunter play a few times now, it seems that was the case for her. She appears very talented but she is a loose cannon on the floor sometimes. She averages fewer than 1 assist per game, she isn't in the game to pass, and if that was the case while she was at UCONN she wasn't going to see the floor. Just the wrong style of play for that school.

Last edited:
#3 Oregon go down to Michigan ST 88-82

He probably wishes he used one of his two game suspensions on this game. This may b the game to get his team focused and make it to a final four.

The thing I never figured out is if it’s a punishment how does the coach get to pick which two games he/she misses lol

Braxton Miller of Oklahoma State who had 29 and a career day against the LV, went 0 for 8 the following game and didnt even score. Just an observation.

Rewatching the Oregon/Michigan State game. A tale of two defenses. Michigan State was locked in and played straight up. I thought there was a foul disparity watching live, but I think it was a well called game. Oregon was slow on defense, not moving their feet and reaching.

Boley from Oregon can shoot the ball, but her defense is BAD. Michigan State went by her like she was standing still. They ran some iso plays at her as well and it was effective.

Big teaching game for Oregon, lots of very obvious issues to solve on the defensive end.

Last edited:
Rewatching the Oregon/Michigan State game. A tale of two defenses. Michigan State was locked in and played straight up. I thought there was a foul disparity watching live, but I think it was a well called game. Oregon was slow on defense, not moving their feet and reaching.

Boley from Oregon can shoot the ball, but her defense is BAD. Michigan State went by her like she was standing still. They ran some iso plays at her as well and it was effective.

Big teaching game for Oregon, lots of very obvious issues to solve on the defensive end.

Oregon’s poor defense is a yearly issue (similar to the Lady Vols’ offense) and the main reason I don’t see them making the FF. They can score, but teams can outscore them. They’ll have to really buckle down if they want to make it to Tampa.

Reactions: VolBall09
Oregon’s poor defense is a yearly issue (similar to the Lady Vols’ offense) and the main reason I don’t see them making the FF. They can score, but teams can outscore them. They’ll have to really buckle down if they want to make it to Tampa.

I agree, they could have a tough time in this next game with South Dakota State, they play very tough defense and can hit the 3. They gave Baylor a fit earlier this season with their defense. Boley is a liability, no way she should be taking more shots than Ionescu or Hebard. For every point she scores she gives up 2 on the defensive end. Oregon is missing their bench from last season something bad.

Reactions: NoBackBoard
A player we were recruiting that chose Baylor Anquira DeCosta has played in only one game and only for 9 minutes all season. She may have been injured or she may be all the way down the depth chart. There is a lot more to playing at the college level than just impressing a recruiting service seen a lot of five stars not doing much this season.

Reactions: Pat4life
Boley from Oregon can shoot the ball, but her defense is BAD. Michigan State went by her like she was standing still. They ran some iso plays at her as well and it was effective./QUOTE]

Does our staff ever run isolation plays at weak defenders? I've never heard anyone talking about it if they do.

Reactions: NoBackBoard
A player we were recruiting that chose Baylor Anquira DeCosta has played in only one game and only for 9 minutes all season. She may have been injured or she may be all the way down the depth chart. There is a lot more to playing at the college level than just impressing a recruiting service seen a lot of five stars not doing much this season.

She was playing behind a very good freshmen NaLyssa Smith 6-2

Reactions: BUBear

Normally we are facing a zone but in the Texas game they were playing us man. That is why Joyner Holmes didn't play much, she is still slow on her feet and Evina was forcing her to defend in the pick and roll anytime she was in. Once Evina was called for a push-off, otherwise it was going to be a layup and a foul. We aren't necessarily calling plays specifically to go at poor defenders, but we now have a PG who understands how to take advantage of those situations.

Texas did try to zone us a couple times but Evina busted it with a 3 at the top of the key once and Meme with a 3 on the wing the second time I saw it. Makes a huge difference for our offensive attack when we're able to hit outside shots and force teams to defend us by doing more than just packing it in the paint.

Last edited:
what an interesting thread top to bottom, the sharing of information on teams and players strengths and weaknesses in a helpful manner.

Reactions: VolBall09
Could Stanford be on the verge of losing 3 straight!?

12/2 - vs Gonzaga -Lost 79-73
12/15 - vs Baylor
12/18 - vs LadyVols

Only problem with that is that I really don't think she has the talent. This year 2.5 mpg averaging 0.3 ppg. Last year 3.9 mpg averaging 0.4 ppg. UConn has a very short bench and if she had anything to offer she would get PT. The other bench players are averaging over 10 mpg. I might catch crap for saying this, but I think she was a big recruiting mistake. I doubt very much that she'll end up on a ranked team.

Talking about a big recruiting mistake, have anyone mentioned lady vols Harris? she is wow I've ever seen in division 1 school.

Talking about a big recruiting mistake, have anyone mentioned lady vols Harris? she is wow I've ever seen in division 1 school.
It isn’t a mistake, she has given us solid minutes the last couple of games and was very vital against Texas. It didn’t show on the stat sheet but she did a good job on Collier and White defensively, her and MiMi Collins definitely kept us afloat in the post when Green and Davis picked up early fouls.

I get that we wanted higher ranked players and we didn’t land them in that class unfortunately but Harris has grown every year and have not once complained about not playing and she is being rewarded for her loyalty, she’ll forever be a Lady Vol which extends far behind basketball and in an era where kids are so quick to jump ship when they don’t get their way, I truly commend her! Some folk said the same about Nia Moore and KD and they gave us what we need when we needed them to and it wasn’t just basketball

After watching the replay of the game a few>7 times, I have re-evaluated the content that Harris brought to the court. She only played about 7 minutes, had maybe 1 tipped pass, a rebound and helped out in the zone on defense. She completely missed her only shot attempt from 3 feet away, didn't even hit the rim. And she was out of gas and looking to the bench 4 minutes into her stint of play.
imho, that is not enough for a 3rd year player to give. I was also disappointed with C Green's play.

VN Store

Back