Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

LSU is the gold standard school when it comes to female athlete NIL

no other school has made this many NIL millionaires

If you think Mulkey’s recruiting is annoying now, you ain’t seen nothin’ yet

LSU is the gold standard school when it comes to female athlete NIL

no other school has made this many NIL millionaires

If you think Mulkey’s recruiting is annoying now, you ain’t seen nothin’ yet

They have had good luck too having several players and the gymnast Dunn who nurtured large social media followings already before LSU nurtured it. I also think the financial
benefits for the players for winning the championship has never been higher. People who aren't big fans of WBB now know who Reese and Clark are even though Reese provokes some negative reactions. Dunn's photos in the swimsuit issue of SI is about all you need to know about why she is so popular despite not being a top 5 gymnast on LSU's team.

Reese gets mostly positive reactions, otherwise they would have asked Clark to be in the issue, if they thought it would sell more.

They have had good luck too having several players and the gymnast Dunn who nurtured large social media followings already before LSU nurtured it. I also think the financial
benefits for the players for winning the championship has never been higher. People who aren't big fans of WBB now know who Reese and Clark are even though Reese provokes some negative reactions. Dunn's photos in the swimsuit issue of SI is about all you need to know about why she is so popular despite not being a top 5 gymnast on LSU's team.

This. I think many don't realize that a lot of athletes are getting these huge NIL deals no matter where they go to school. The very top athletes in most sports are getting the deals direct from businesses no matter where they choose to go. Juju Watkins and other athletes are signing those deals and getting their mega dollars before they commit and still have them even if they sign with Dallas Baptist University. Then if you are like the gymnast Dunn or another athlete that can sell on your looks and social media following, the deals are falling in your lap and coming from everywhere. Social media and followers is where a lot of the real money is. It doesn't matter what school you choose or how good you are. Then you have kids and families who could care less about it. It plays a lot into a great deal of athletes choices, but if you don't think there are still kids picking where they want to go based on coaches, their dream school, legacy, facilities, how they mesh with potential teammates on visits then you are kidding yourselves and delusional.

This. I think many don't realize that a lot of athletes are getting these huge NIL deals no matter where they go to school. The very top athletes in most sports are getting the deals direct from businesses no matter where they choose to go. Juju Watkins and other athletes are signing those deals and getting their mega dollars before they commit and still have them even if they sign with Dallas Baptist University. Then if you are like the gymnast Dunn or another athlete that can sell on your looks and social media following, the deals are falling in your lap and coming from everywhere. Social media and followers is where a lot of the real money is. It doesn't matter what school you choose or how good you are. Then you have kids and families who could care less about it. It plays a lot into a great deal of athletes choices, but if you don't think there are still kids picking where they want to go based on coaches, their dream school, legacy, facilities, how they mesh with potential teammates on visits then you are kidding yourselves and delusional.
The school NIL deals are the "small potatoes" ones that are given to players that don't have the mass appeal of a Cavinder, Reese, Clark or Bueckers. Maybe there are some players that will jump for $25k like what SC is offering, but I would guess those are probably not the high profile players. Like you said, they're gonna get paid anyway.

The school NIL deals are the "small potatoes" ones that are given to players that don't have the mass appeal of a Cavinder, Reese, Clark or Bueckers. Maybe there are some players that will jump for $25k like what SC is offering, but I would guess those are probably not the high profile players. Like you said, they're gonna get paid anyway.

Yes, that was my point.

Reactions: 1reVOLver
He sure is stacking them up if they do the acc vs sec challenge they better play Lsu😂

Louisville just taking everyone. Either going to be really good or really bad.

I thought they were one of the teams that managed transfers the worst. They finally started to come along at the right time (which is really all that matters). But they really took a long time to work in their new pieces.

This season will be even more of a challenge losing their leader and working in 6 or so transfers and some young players.

Louisville just taking everyone. Either going to be really good or really bad.

I thought they were one of the teams that managed transfers the worst. They finally started to come along at the right time (which is really all that matters). But they really took a long time to work in their new pieces.

This season will be even more of a challenge losing their leader and working in 6 or so transfers and some young players.

Maryland just called.

I saw an activewear ad with Dunn on TV. Usually, actors have been making all these ads in the past, but now it was strange to see someone I have actually heard of. About the ad, she sold me, wow she is gorgeous.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Reese gets mostly positive reactions, otherwise they would have asked Clark to be in the issue, if they thought it would sell more.
She got into that issue because of her body, because that girl is a butterface. Her brother got all the looks in that family. And Clark ain't got no body at all.

I'm probably wrong here (as usual), but I thought the original impetus for NIL compensation was to take athletes whose name, image, or likeness was already being exploited by the NCAA and member schools through theur use in advertising, tv promotions, merchandise, clothing, video games, etc. and give them a cut of the proceeds. Wasn't that what the original lawsuit(s) was about?

I never knew that it was intended to open the doors to professionalism by allowing the athletes to market their own names, images, and likenesses for all products imaginable whether basketball-related or not.

I'm probably wrong here (as usual), but I thought the original impetus for NIL compensation was to take athletes whose name, image, or likeness was already being exploited by the NCAA and member schools through theur use in advertising, tv promotions, merchandise, clothing, video games, etc. and give them a cut of the proceeds. Wasn't that what the original lawsuit(s) was about?

I never knew that it was intended to open the doors to professionalism by allowing the athletes to market their own names, images, and likenesses for all products imaginable whether basketball-related or not.

The previous case did deal with education-related benefits, but two things happened with the Supreme Court's ruling in that case -

(1) The court signaled its absolute hostility to both the NCAA and the concept of amateurism with that 9-0 ruling.
(2) Specific Justices made very clear and encouraging remarks to future plaintiffs. Kavanaugh in particular took a blowtorch to everything about the NCAA, and more or less said he was looking forward to the eventual case that would let them blow the doors off the entire model of college athletics.

Because of those conditions, and because there's another case moving through the courts specifically about the NIL situations we're seeing right now, the NCAA has more or less capitulated in advance. They know these next lawsuits are going to rip a lot of the system apart. So they're basically throwing their hands up and saying "fine, if you don't want us regulating this, then you're on your own." And rightly so, I think. They've spent decades building a model that promoted a semi-competitive framework for college athletics, and the court ruling, the state laws, and the ongoing lawsuits have knocked that all down. Fine. You want it to be pay for play, big money, no rules? Then you get pay for play, big money, no rules.

At least, that's the impression I get. The NCAA Isn't trying to fight anymore, they're trying to survive and protect what they can of their work and their operations.

VN Store

Back