Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

We didn't exactly take care of business to even be able to get the opportunity to face Baylor that year. The LVs didn't get to the championship game because they gave up a 16 point lead they built in the 2nd half.

While I do think our chances at winning a Natty that year are much better with CP3, not having her in that game wasn't the biggest issue, imo.

Huh ? While my post should have said "Wasn't out her freshman year" Tennessee made the Final Four (not the sweet 16) CP3s freshman season that she sat out with the Knee injury? Her redshirt freshman year she played and then her "sophomore" and "junior" years she played and won two titles back to back. Hence, why I said with hypotheticals if we had her that year they could hang another banner.

So in short we got to a final four with Annosicke, Hornbuckle being true freshman and no Candace Parker. I believe she would have put us over the top to win the national championship...

I thought the same. When Holly Rowe did the in-game interview with her, she seemed very nonchalant and in fact not very concerned at all. I was left wondering if she was just shell shocked or over confident they’d ultimately win the game?

Yes! I had forgotten about that! She was very nonchalant and before heading off to the locker room she said, “We’re okay.” It was strange!

Huh ? While my post should have said "Wasn't out her freshman year" Tennessee made the Final Four (not the sweet 16) CP3s freshman season that she sat out with the Knee injury? Her redshirt freshman year she played and then her "sophomore" and "junior" years she played and won two titles back to back. Hence, why I said with hypotheticals if we had her that year they could hang another banner.

So in short we got to a final four with Annosicke, Hornbuckle being true freshman and no Candace Parker. I believe she would have put us over the top to win the national championship...

I agree. Her defense and rebounding alone would have been worth quite a few points.

And UT was the frontrunner CP's first season playing until Wiley-Gatewood defected mid-season. Fully-healed CP could possibly have been part of four consecutive national championshipc

Last edited:
I wonder if we'll get any media followup to Staley's shout-out to the police who ushered the team around. Was that just an innocuous, random thanks (I'm sure there were lots of other professionals assisting the team in various ways at the venue) or a vague allusion to some perceived threat?

At any rate, Staley made some curious remarks at the post-game presser and said that she had planned to bring up some issues whether they had won or lost.

"We're not bar fighters. We're not thugs. We're not monkeys. We're not street fighters." And then she went to allude to some hurtful comments allegedly made during the week overheard at some press/media gathering that were got back to her from some of her media friends. She didn't say who made the remarks or if it was supposed to have come from one person or several. The "bar fight" reference seemed to be a response to an earlier comment from Lisa Bluder, but the rest...? If there was any doubt that she was complaining about racism, she continued with more comments defending the team style of play by beginning, "Don't judge us by the color of our skin."

Don't quite know what to make of this. She's publicly defended her coaching style before in response to Auriemma complaining about how physical it is. She's no stranger to public sports-related racial controversy (the BYU incident, her defamation lawsuit against Missouri A.D. after being accused of encouraging SC fans to spit on Mizzou players and to heckle them with racist barbs).

You'd think there would be some follow up from such Final Four comments.

Monkeys?

Re: sartorial styles, Staley was very fashionably turned out Friday night. Really chic look.

I did get a chuckle at the scowling coach who exudes aggressiveness in her ninja & letter-jacket syles getting outcoached by someone who looks like the stereotypical elementary school librarian.

Re: sartorial styles, Staley was very fashionaby turned out Friday night. Really chic look.

I did get a chuckle at the scowling coach who exudes aggressiveness in her ninja & letter-jacket syles getting outcoached by someone who looks like the stereotypical elementary school librarian.

Lisa does, in fact, look identical to my elementary school librarian 🤣

I never thought we were in serious running for Reese last year, as I thought I heard here that the visit didn't go well in some way. In any case, it was interesting to hear Reese say her two finalists were UT and Sout Carolina last year until Poole encouraged her to visit LSU. Even the Baton Rouge paper admitted that it would likely have been UT in the Final 4 had Reese came to UT. I don't think that would have been automatic given that her personality may have not jibed as well with our players and staff than it does with LSU, though not saying it wouldn't have been worth a try.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I wonder if we'll get any media followup to Staley's shout-out to the police who ushered the team around. Was that just an innocuous, random thanks (I'm sure there were lots of other professionals assisting the team in various ways at the venue) or a vague allusion to some perceived threat?

At any rate, Staley made some curious remarks at the post-game presser and said that she had planned to bring up some issues whether they had won or lost.

"We're not bar fighters. We're not thugs. We're not monkeys. We're not street fighters." And then she went to allude to some hurtful comments allegedly made during the week overheard at some press/media gathering that were got back to her from some of her media friends. She didn't say who made the remarks or if it was supposed to have come from one person or several. The "bar fight" reference seemed to be a response to an earlier comment from Lisa Bluder, but the rest...? If there was any doubt that she was complaining about racism, she continued with more comments defending the team style of play by beginning, "Don't judge us by the color of our skin."

Don't quite know what to make of this. She's publicly defended her coaching style before in response to Auriemma complaining about how physical it is. She's no stranger to public sports-related racial controversy (the BYU incident, her defamation lawsuit against Missouri A.D. after being accused of encouraging SC fans to spit on Mizzou players and to heckle them with racist barbs).

Monkeys?
I had a similar reaction. She should not throw aspersions on all of the national reporters. Name names. Let them respond. If they used that description, they should be fired.
Her behavior during and after the game seemed off somehow.

Monkeys?
She doesn’t have to follow up. She said what she said. The people who she claimed said those things, know she’s referring to them and that’s all that matters.

If you think you’re owed a follow up, message or write her and ask for one.

Reactions: lvocd and DueTail
I never thought we were in serious running for Reese last year, as I thought I heard here that the visit didn't go well in some way. In any case, it was interesting to hear Reese say her two finalists were UT and Sout Carolina last year until Poole encouraged her to visit LSU. Even the Baton Rouge paper admitted that it would likely have been UT in the Final 4 had Reese came to UT. I don't think that would have been automatic given that her personality may have not jibed as well with our players and staff than it does with LSU, though not saying it wouldn't have been worth a try.
That would have been automatic because her personality is just fine, trust me her players love her and if she was here they would have loved her as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: LadyVol1908
That would have been automatic because her personality is just fine, trust me her players live her and if she was here they would have loved her as well.
It’s only one set of people who don’t like Angel’s personality…..go figure.

I wish I could find the link to the study someone put together of media reactions to “Angel’s personality” compared to Clark’s and Van Lilth’s.

Can you guess which one was pegged as “excessive” and “uncalled for”, and which two were pegged as “passionate” and “competitiveness”? 🥴

No, Staley doesn't "owe" anyone any follow up. She can get up during her presser and describe her favorite recipes for etouffe or her favorite brand of toilet paper or the dog that barks all night outside her condo. If she wants to go off on a rant whining about some hearsay from some media friend who claims to have overheard some unspecified offensive thing allegedly said by some unnamed media source, well, that's why she gets paid $3.3 million.

Some people might prefer to hear an actual analysis of the game, but those outliers are just oddballs and kooks.

Last edited:
Case in point…. LSU had 7 turnovers against VaTech. 7. TN had 18 with seniors as primary playmakers.

Ifs and buts. Fans can play the "what if" game all day, but trying to take away from what Mulkey has done at LSU because Utah couldn't make the plays they needed to is absurd. Bottom line is there are two teams still playing, LSU is one of them...

Reactions: 1reVOLver
To me, it really feels like comparing apples to oranges. Only one of these players are constantly t’d for mouthing off to refs and the other team, only one of these players finished a game and argued with an opposing team on social media immediately afterwards. Angel Reese is very cocky and seemingly enjoys attention instead of letting her team do the talking, which is why I feel like she and Mulkey were a match made in heaven. That wouldn‘t fly with Dawn, Geno, Tara, etc.

A’ja Wilson, Candace Parker are examples of passion.
Diana Taurasi, Marina Mabrey and Sophie Cunningham are examples of arrogance.

Reese would easily be grouped with the latter.
Where would u put Clark?

Where would u put Clark?
I’d say she’s cockier than A’ja and Candace was, but not as arrogant as DT, Marina and Sophie. I’ve never seen her get t’d for getting in an opponents face. If I had to compare her to a player, it’d probably be like Chelsea Gray or Arike.

It’s only one set of people who don’t like Angel’s personality…..go figure.

I wish I could find the link to the study someone put together of media reactions to “Angel’s personality” compared to Clark’s and Van Lilth’s.

Can you guess which one was pegged as “excessive” and “uncalled for”, and which two were pegged as “passionate” and “competitiveness”? 🥴
I think Clark is a punk.

See I think people too what she said and ran with it. I think she was referring to the present and not the past.

And honestly she’s not lying, her and Clark have increased interest in the game that I haven’t seen in YEARS! People on my Facebook talk about and post stuff about Angel and LSU, that I’ve never seen post a lick about Women’s College Basketball! I love it cause they’re definitely growing the game we all love. I love it and hate it at the same time because the country needs to know about Rickea Jackson and the way she plays ball! I just think they enjoy her brand of basketball and appreciate her looks more than Angel!
Put WBB on the map seems more like all time than present to me. Why don’t we call it youthful hyperbole and chuckle and let it go. I just spent spring break with a 17 year old who has managed to learn everything there is to know about everything in those few years! Amazing!

What an average three pointer from an average player. I don't know what people see in her.

VN Store

Back