Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

I wonder if Missouri is going to be better than expected this year. They have not played anyone tough yet so it is quite hard to tell how good they really are. They were picked to finish 12th in the SEC in preseason.

Their next game against VaTech on Wednesday will tell us a lot. If they are competitive in that game they should have a pretty good year. They've looked pretty good in their 6-0 start. Pingeton is a good coach and her teams play hard for her.

Recent recruits like R. Johnson, Fulwiley, Hall, Kitts, Cooper, Jah and Tessa Johnson show she has a good recruiting handle on guards and wings. She can beat teams many ways, but as long as Boston, Cardoso, Feagin, Amihere, Watkins and Saxton are around it is smart to play offense through the frontline.
Looking forward to those guys vs. Fudd and Muhl…Cardozo and Boston are always the problem.

You still don't have any guards that are at Azzi Fudd's level this year, and it makes it harder for that frontline. When Boston graduates, I think that will become more noticeable.
Fudd is a special talent. There aren't many like her in the game right now. She was a #1 recruit. Even that UConn guard Williams who recently graduated was a #1 recruit but she couldn't shoot half as good as Fudd can. I don't know if SC will ever have a shooter like her.

By the way I enjoy reading your posts Amb

I can't think of one single thing fans can do to change anything that happens on the court outside of cheer really loud when they are in the arena to maybe give the players encouragement.

That is totally a joke right? Of course I control what happens on the court. I wear my lucky jersey, sit in a particular spot on the couch, I never talk about consecutive free throws made, I have a host of rituals that I follow faithfully, and any variance from these rituals is completely to blame when my team loses. Of course I am responsible for what happens on the court. Saying otherwise would be completely absurd. I still blame the fact that I used Hellmann’s instead of Dukes on my pregame sandwich for Mississippi State hitting that shot in overtime. Practically needed counseling over my guilty feelings. Well, at least I got to shave after 111 games.

Last edited:
Women's Basketball

I'll be interested as to how this plays out as far as seedings in NCAA Tourney at the end of the season. Looks like they will have to beat either Tennessee or SC to have a quality win and Tennessee may not be considered a quality win by the time we play. So how could they get even a four seed if they win all their non conference games and go something like even 13 and 3 in the SEC. I wouldn't consider them higher than a six seed even if they win those games cause a lot of SEC teams are not that good this season. If they get a high seed with this then why isn't everyone scheduling like this will be the question to ask not a challenge on their non conference schedule not even one.

Fudd is a special talent. There aren't many like her in the game right now. She was a #1 recruit. Even that UConn guard Williams who recently graduated was a #1 recruit but she couldn't shoot half as good as Fudd can. I don't know if SC will ever have a shooter like her.

By the way I enjoy reading your posts Amb
JC…..watch out for Kitts coming in next season. Her mid range shot is something, she shoots around 45% from there and has a good post game as well for a wing. Tessa Johnson from that class is a pure shooter as well.

JC…..watch out for Kitts coming in next season. Her mid range shot is something, she shoots around 45% from there and has a good post game as well for a wing. Tessa Johnson from that class is a pure shooter as well.

I have not seen Tessa play yet but she might be the best shooter in the 2023. I`m seeing a lot of post on twitter with others saying the same thing. From what i have see on film this young lady can flat out shoot the rock and create off the bounce. Kitts is the real deal and will be a problem.

FiLvGlFWIAEMYcl

The three highest regular season games in that span were SC/Uconn, SC/UT and SC/Stanford if I am not mistaken. The SC/Uconn NCAA championship drew 5 million.
It was impressive the Stanford game drew over 1 million at peak for a regular season game on an NFL Sunday. The women’s game is growing by leaps and bounds.

Last edited:
I feel that’s why UCONN fans are so salty with South Carolina fans these days, South Carolina is THE program right now and UCONN used to be. Their fanbase is is becoming huge.

I cannot say that is true for me. I like good rivalries. There was a stretch were Baylor was dominant, but it only lasted a few years. There was a stretch were Notre Dame was dominant, but it only lasted a few years. Now we have South Carolina, and they’re at the top of their game. Boston will be gone next year and we will have to wait and see if they continue to be as successful. Schools tend to have bigger fan bases while winning. UConn, on the other hand, has had sustained excellence for quite a long period of time. Women’s basketball has considerably more parity now than ever before, and it will be difficult for any one school to dominate as in the past. UConn fans are spoiled, but it’s really difficult to win national championships in this era, but I am confident they will continue to be successful. I have a completely different reason for my dislike of the coach of SC, and it is not basketball related, and for the sake of not, “getting into it” here on a basketball message board, I will just say that I thought she was extremely wrong.

One reason UConn fans are "salty" about Lower Carolina is that they expected to get Boston, and not entirely without reason. When she was in high school, she attended a number of UConn home games, sitting right behind UConn's bench.

Reactions: VA_VOLFAN

VN Store

Back