Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

StL, she was in all honesty taken out of context, in above her tweet is NOT presented properly, it was not honest to suggest otherwise, it was shown out of sequence. I get it, this is a LV board and SC fans need to just shut up here, it’s a no win, and on a rival board I should not be posting this here either, I Get it. this Board is LV all the way and y’all can post it anyway you want. That’s how it should be, we have some ignorant fans to be sure, embarrassed by some Of them, all fan bases have some and yeah, this isn’t the place to say that. Truly am sad about the whole state of affairs.
It was not taken out of context. I read the entire thread. As a black woman, I’m really disappointed. I was rooting for her and her success (except against us) I’m disappointed she aligned herself with this group. You can’t tell me she doesn’t see what they tweet when they’re actively conversing. It pisses me off because now she’s given the racists a moment to point to, to discredit the good she and other Black women have done.
You know darn well if UT fans said something like Darkies for Dawn and Kellie was joking and interacting with those fans she wouldn’t get a pass at all. Additionally, it hurts any of Black person in WBB who might experience racism, when her voice will be needed, this will always comeback to bite her. She is working against the very group she claims to uplift.

Everyone, from an outsider here, please stop on the Dawn stuff, it’s fun for some but tbh, and I have always been honest on this board, she doesn’t feed those trolls in spite of all the machinations folks keep posting, listen, she is a great gal, a great ambassador for WBB and let’s leave it there, I apologize for the ignorant tweeters, Lord knows they should be banned.
Why didn’t she apologize for Hootie Rucker? My understanding is that was an official usc WBB event and DS made no apology for the vulgarity directed towards us. Just so you know I am not a hypocrite the UT baseball player who flipped a bird at opposing fans should have been suspended for multiple games.

Why didn’t she apologize for Hootie Rucker? My understanding is that was an official usc WBB event and DS made no apology for the vulgarity directed towards us. Just so you know I am not a hypocrite the UT baseball player who flipped a bird at opposing fans should have been suspended for multiple games.
Well, if you enlarge the photo of Beck, you’ll see it’s his index finger. But yeah, Dawn associates with some SC fans who cross the line with their comments about Pat.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Well, if you enlarge the photo of Beck, you’ll see it’s his index finger. But yeah, Dawn associates with some SC fans who cross the line with their comments about Pat.
Ah, I stand corrected on the young man. I wondered why there wasn’t a disciplinary action. Our BB coach kind of drove the bus into the ditch at the end of the season IMO. There is getting your team fired up, us against the world and then there is overwrought meltdown. He’s a young head coach, he’ll figure it out I hope.

Ah, I stand corrected on the young man. I wondered why there wasn’t a disciplinary action. Our BB coach kind of drove the bus into the ditch at the end of the season IMO. There is getting your team fired up, us against the world and then there is overwrought meltdown. He’s a young head coach, he’ll figure it out I hope.
So, I think most fans really want it to be the bird. I know I do 🙂 But the myth has been written. I’m just going to enjoy it. 😏

Reactions: chuckiepoo
So, I think most fans really want it to be the bird. I know I do 🙂 But the myth has been written. I’m just going to enjoy it. 😏

It sure looks like the middle finger to me. IMO, it is clearly the second knuckle beneath the extended finger, not the first. If it were above the first (index finger) knuckle it would be further to the left and with no bent knuckle on the left side. But there is.

With that big hit, Beck was ending a brutal slump. He would NOT be signaling "I'm No. 1!" in that situation. He was giving the finger to opposing fans and, yes, maybe even his own self-doubt. But it was definitely a middle finger, and given the team's well-documented "Us Against the World" persona, it's hard to believe folks are trying to convince others he was just being excited to give the No.1 symbol. 😂

Reactions: LV renaissance
Sorry, but it’s not his index finger. Everybody knows what it was. Don’t try to make up something. He did what he did. That’s all I will say on the matter.

Reactions: lvocd
Really surprised to see no chatter here about the outstanding ESPN 30 for 30 covering the 96 Women's Olympic team -- the greatest team ever assembled and the spark that launched the WNBA. If you haven't seen it yet, I would highly recommend it. Former Lady Vol Carla McGhee gets quite a bit of airtime, including an in-depth look back at the car accident at Tennessee that almost killed her and her miraculous recovery from that. Nikki McCray was also on the team.

It was also heartbreaking to see Venus Lacy now. I remembered she had a serious car accident herself soon after those Olympic games but I had no idea she was in such rough shape all these years later...

Really surprised to see no chatter here about the outstanding ESPN 30 for 30 covering the 96 Women's Olympic team -- the greatest team ever assembled and the spark that launched the WNBA. If you haven't seen it yet, I would highly recommend it. Former Lady Vol Carla McGhee gets quite a bit of airtime, including an in-depth look back at the car accident at Tennessee that almost killed her and her miraculous recovery from that. Nikki McCray was also on the team.
It was also heartbreaking to see Venus Lacy now. I remembered she had a serious car accident herself soon after those Olympic games but I had no idea she was in such rough shape all these years later...
I watched it Darth and I thought it was awesome! I have a whole new respect for Tara. Wow. She was definitely the woman for the job. Also found it interesting how they tried to feminize all of the women. I still disagree with that strategy. I think that really hurt the WNBA.

I watched it Darth and I thought it was awesome! I have a whole new respect for Tara. Wow. She was definitely the woman for the job. Also found it interesting how they tried to feminize all of the women. I still disagree with that strategy. I think that really hurt the WNBA.

Lots of cringe-worthy moments, from that to attitudes toward lesbianism in women's sports at the time to the NBA "only able to afford" paying 50,000 to the players when they could earn several times that overseas. It will really give fans a new appreciation for what they went through to help make women's basketball what it is today...

Lots of cringe-worthy moments, from that to attitudes toward lesbianism in women's sports at the time to the NBA "only able to afford" paying 50,000 to the players when they could earn several times that overseas. It will really give fans a new appreciation for what they went through to help make women's basketball what it is today...
Yeah. When they said 50k, I was like, WHAT?!?! They sacrificed so much. I will forever be grateful.

Yeah. When they said 50k, I was like, WHAT?!?! They sacrificed so much. I will forever be grateful.
I wouldn’t call 50k for 3 to 4 months a sacrifice. It’s the same for all new sports. It has to build over time. Pro players in all sports used to have to work in the off season. It takes time.

I wouldn’t call 50k for 3 to 4 months a sacrifice. It’s the same for all new sports. It has to build over time. Pro players in all sports used to have to work in the off season. It takes time.

Uh no. Being a part of that 96 Olympic team was a 14 month commitment which included 52 exhibition games before the Olympics all over the country and the world. The WNBA didn't even exist yet, but came to fruition because of that team...

Uh no. Being a part of that 96 Olympic team was a 14 month commitment which included 52 exhibition games before the Olympics all over the country and the world. The WNBA didn't even exist yet, but came to fruition because of that team...
My mistake then. I thought the discussion was about the beginning of the WNBA.

I respect the committment these ladies made to women's basketball. But let's not get carried away. The present value of $50,000 in 1996 is over $93,000.00 in 2022 dollars. This is above and beyond room and board (which I assume) is provided by the U.S. Olynpics committee. Of course... no one got rich. But it wasn't free labor either. The 52 game schedule over 14 months sounds like Sunday on the farm... to be honest.

Last edited:
I respect the committment these ladies made to women's basketball. But let's not get carried away. The present value of $50,000 in 1996 is over $93,000.00 in 2022 dollars. This is above and beyond room and board (which I assume) is provided by the U.S. Olynpics committee. Of course... no one got rich. But it wasn't free labor either. The 52 game schedule over 14 months sounds like Sunday on the farm... to be honest.

To be honest, I would suggest actually watching the documentary before opining on their "Sunday on the farm"...

Reactions: stlvolsfan
To be honest, I would suggest actually watching the documentary before opining on their "Sunday on the farm"...

Another good source of information is a book called "Venus to the Hoop." It was written by a reporter (Sara Corbett) who was with the team from the tryouts through the year of traveling and exhibition games up to the Gold Medal game. It covers more of the personal side of the team and also brings up the start of the ABL.

The sacrifice was they turned down much bigger salaries in Europe and Asia to do this. Katrina McClain said she was giving up 3-400k. If you respect their commitment, why are you trying to diminish it?

Another good source of information is a book called "Venus to the Hoop." It was written by a reporter (Sara Corbett) who was with the team from the tryouts through the year of traveling and exhibition games up to the Gold Medal game. It covers more of the personal side of the team and also brings up the start of the ABL.

It has been many years since I read it but I do remember it was a great book. Corbett also provides insight in the documentary...

VN Store

Back