Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

To me they are banking off the injury she had while playing for the LV even though she came back and played.its not a guarantee they will grant the Sparks the suspension but they are filing for it according to the moderator and she's good at giving good info in the group.by the way Atwell has impressed with her 3pt shooting which besides Katie Lou the Sparks have no threat so she's looking good for a 3rd round pick
It seems like preseason performance isn't counting for as much as one would think, given that Davis and Westbrook were cut while Lexie Hull is still on a roster. I'd be shocked if Atwell made the final cut. Carter, Sykes, and Toliver are all good enough three point threats that they've got that covered, along with Katie Lou.

I think part of it was the relatively weak draft. Howard, Austin, Smith and Engstler were the only players going into the draft that I felt certain would make a roster. The first round overall was less than impressive with a lot of fringe players...good-to-great college players, but likely not good enough to have a sustained WNBA career (players like Hillmon, Burrell, Burton, Henderson, Hull, etc.). My guess is that a lot of the first round picks this year will find themselves on the outside looking in come next season.

It really has to hurt for players like Davis or MHH who were first round picks and barely had an opportunity to play because of injuries or other (pregnancy), let alone someone like Dangerfield who was ROY just 2 seasons ago.

If you think this year is bad, wait until next year with the strong draft class coming in.

Well, THAT was depressing. :oops: But you're right. It's only going to get worse, which brings me back to my post from yesterday when I said young women really need to start getting serious about choosing a college major which will result in them having a solid career in something else besides basketball, because a basketball career is looking like a very, verrrrrrry long shot anymore.

That's a lovely thought. And who will foot the bill for this?

Did these players not think about the ripple effect on future players when they were busy demanding more money for themselves? I guess you really can't have it both ways...

That's exactly what I thought when I read that.

Well, THAT was depressing. :oops: But you're right. It's only going to get worse, which brings me back to my post from yesterday when I said young women really need to start getting serious about choosing a college major which will result in them having a solid career in something else besides basketball, because a basketball career is looking like a very, verrrrrrry long shot anymore.

Overseas can provide a nice option, maybe a path into the collegiate coaching ranks or media. Also leveraging college team connections for career opportunities. But really...unless you are an ELITE elite player (Boston, Jones, R. Jackson next season come to mind)...don't think that it's in the leaves that you are guaranteed a spot on a WNBA team. For every player that wants in, someone has to leave...and they ain't leaving fast enough at this point.

Reactions: Voltopia and lvocd
That's exactly what I thought when I read that.
The WNBA needs a growth strategy that involves something other than, "Hey NBA! Give us more money!" It's getting ridiculous.

I'm disappointed in these players. It's almost like Econ 101 wasn't part of their collegiate curriculum...unless it was "How to go to Russia and get PAY-ED". What are the current/past players doing to grow the league, other than complaining to the media or on Twitter?

Exactly. Coaches are talking about it. Players get cut because there is a player that takes up too much cash. It is an issue.
Overall for the WNBA, I agree it's an issue. Some of the teams will have to take only 11 players for that reason. However, that wasn't the case with the Sparks. They could take any 12 players that were on their roster and still fall under the salary cap.

Probably not. Such is life as a Training Camp signee.

LA Sparks should be making their cuts soon. They have 17 players on their roster now. I think the following players are pretty much a given (in order of safety):
  1. Nneka Ogwumike
  2. Liz Cambage
  3. Chennedy Carter
  4. Brittney Sykes
  5. Amanda Zahui B
  6. Kristi Tolliver
  7. Chiney Ogwumike
  8. Te'a Cooper
So that leaves the following competing for 3-4 roster spots (order below is my prediction of safe to not so safe)
  • Jordin Canada
  • Katie Lou Samuelson
  • Jasmine Walker
  • Rae Burrell
  • Lexie Brown
  • Arella Guirantes
  • Olivia Nelson Ododa
  • Kianna Smith
  • Amy Atwell
Rae is right on the cusp IMO. This is gonna be a tight race until Friday...

👀 did u revisit this after the moves today? I was shocked to say the least

👀 did u revisit this after the moves today? I was shocked to say the least
I did. Seems like Rae will sit out the year and Sparks will retain her rights for next. I'm surprised about Cooper tbh. I don't think she's one of the 8 best players on the team, but I thought she was good enough and would get a roster spot because of her social media presence. Literally more people talking about her being cut than any other player in the league this far. Sure, it's 99-100% because of her looks, but still...

I did. Seems like Rae will sit out the year and Sparks will retain her rights for next. I'm surprised about Cooper tbh. I don't think she's one of the 8 best players on the team, but I thought she was good enough and would get a roster spot because of her social media presence. Literally more people talking about her being cut than any other player in the league this far. Sure, it's 99-100% because of her looks, but still...
Another Rennia Situation ;(

Crystal Dangerfield was signed by the Fever and yes I'm so happy for her
I say this every season, but this year I actually believe Indiana can make it out of the gutter. Young squad with alot of talent and discipline. I'll need to see how Rhyne does but I think NaLyssa Smith will get ROY.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Yea read that... also read she knows what she wants in a team environment in her quote just wasn't a fit. Like i said she is a baller and she will want to prove she was good enough o play there is/when she gets the chance.

Thanks though 😊
She will probably go to NCSU or UNC…..Duke might have a chance.

Reactions: Bret178

VN Store

Back