Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Said it was a lane violation, but on replay, looked like UConn player stepped in the lane first. If so, and it had nothing to do with the hesitation shot, UCF got screwed.
Players from both teams stepped into the lane too soon. A held ball should have been called. I don't know which team had the arrow. The UConn player did not step in first. UCF did not get screwed.

All UCF had to do was hit around 63% of their free throws. 8-18 while CONN shot 16-21.

Credit to COnn for good defense & making FT and loads of credit to UCF for shutting down CONN's offense even while under foul trouble most of the game. But what a missed opportunity.

I just enjoyed watching all of Geno’s top ten recruits and those #1 picks finally have to play hard to compete with a good team ! They are used to beating opponents by 30 to 40 points and cruising around the court doing anything they want ….. Fun to watch Geno have to get after his players to perform! Getting on the court and crying at officials that usually give them all the breaks that they can !!! This just shows you what could be if they played good competition and what would Geno do if he didn’t have all of those AA PLAYERS? Just Saying 😈

I just enjoyed watching all of Geno’s top ten recruits and those #1 picks finally have to play hard to compete with a good team ! They are used to beating opponents by 30 to 40 points and cruising around the court doing anything they want ….. Fun to watch Geno have to get after his players to perform! Getting on the court and crying at officials that usually give them all the breaks that they can !!! This just shows you what could be if they played good competition and what would Geno do if he didn’t have all of those AA PLAYERS? Just Saying 😈

I say this all the time. If UCONN were in the SEC or the PAC-12 they would be just another team as far as their record goes. They would have had 10+ losses this season if they played in a league that’s tough from top to bottom. There are 3 maybe 4 teams that can compete in that league. Drops off sharply after that.

In the SEC the level of talent from top to bottom makes it tough. Don’t show up for 10 minutes any given game and it’s an L.

The thing most of you are missing is there’s a difference between HS rankings vs. College Basketball. Teams like Oregon, UCLA, Duke, etc always sign highly ranked players year after year. How does that translate to their success?
Tennessee started the year 18-1 and got hit with injuries. Just as UConn. Tennessee loss games, just as UConn. Tennessee also beat Texas who advanced to the Sweet 16.
UCF nearly made it to the Sweet 16 another team that Tennessee defeated early this season. UConn is fully healthy now, but Tennessee still isn’t. There’s no denying that a healthy Tennessee team still has just as good a chance if not better than UConn to win this years Nat’l Championship. It kills some of the critics on this forum to accept that reality. The very thought of it contradicts their agenda.
All you hear is gloating about UConn and HS rankings, but constant bashing of how Tennessee got here. They traveled the same road … now lets dance 🕺 babe!

Referees really helping UCONN out right now.
Really, the refs sucked for both teams. Coach Abe mentioned that two of the refs never did an AAC or BE game. Probably low level refs that never experienced physical big time teams. Bad calls on each side, with good players on both teams with time on the bench. WBB officials are pretty bad overall, but some don't deserve to do tournament games.

Really, the refs sucked for both teams. Coach Abe mentioned that two of the refs never did an AAC or BE game. Probably low level refs that never experienced physical big time teams. Bad calls on each side, with good players on both teams with time on the bench. WBB officials are pretty bad overall, but some don't deserve to do tournament games.

I didn't see the entire game, but the fouls seemed fairly even (at least, those resulting in free throws). Don't know that things like the mysterious lane violation call would have made any big difference.

I would say that your team got lucky, but shooting 16-21 vs. 8-18 requires skill and focus, not luck. Didn't hurt to play in front of 10,000 fans, but that didn't seem to faze UCF. I'd think that objective CONN fans would feel relieved to escape with a win just as objective TENN fans feel after last night.

The refs were a mixed back. the Lady ref has high grades. One ref was a floater and clearly outmatched and the other ref was PAC-12 which is known for being soft. The calls were consistent if if the only got 1 in 10.

I didn't see the entire game, but the fouls seemed fairly even (at least, those resulting in free throws). Don't know that things like the mysterious lane violation call would have made any big difference.

I would say that your team got lucky, but shooting 16-21 vs. 8-18 requires skill and focus, not luck. Didn't hurt to play in front of 10,000 fans, but that didn't seem to faze UCF. I'd think that objective CONN fans would feel relieved to escape with a win just as objective TENN fans feel after last night.

I watched the majority of the game and did not think it was called evenly. UCONN was allowed to be way more physical.

UCF came to play and brought the defensive energy. They got called for a bunch of loose ball fouls playing tougher than UCONN.

Meanwhile UCONN was hammering their bigs in the paint with no call.

UCF sealed their fate not making their Free Throws but I did not think it was a fair whistle. UCF style of play was punished and it took the fun out of watching the game. They turned UCONN over several times on what would have been breakaway layups but phantom fouls were called.

Reactions: LadyVol1908
If UConn had made just half of their uncontested layups, they would have won by double figures. Missed free throws and missed layups have been hindering UConn all season just like turnovers have been hindering Tennessee.

If UConn had made just half of their uncontested layups, they would have won by double figures. Missed free throws and missed layups have been hindering UConn all season just like turnovers have been hindering Tennessee.

I wonder, as I watch the tournament, every team misses its layups. Sure, aggressive defense has something to do with that. But, I think the ball the NCAA is using is "juiced". Note: very good form is being used by the player, but the ball just bounces around and off the rim. I see the guards bringing the ball up the court with very little effort, and the ball is bouncing up to their waist. JMHO....

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK

VN Store

Back