Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

We're gonna need Kaiya and BK to be ready to bring some stellar defense off the bench. I think Belmont is a good matchup for Karoline in particular. Gonna need Dye to keep up her play. Hoping we can use our size to our advantage. We'll have to play a heckuva lot better to get the win vs Belmont, but I like this matchup. We shall see.

Everybody saying how thankful they are than Belmont won today. Be careful what you wish for going to be a tough one I think. I thought just watching the game we were a better matchup for Oregon they are slow and big like we are. Belmont a lot quicker will be hard to guard. Key should dominate inside, but will she?

Everybody saying how thankful they are than Belmont won today. Be careful what you wish for going to be a tough one I think. I thought just watching the game we were a better matchup for Oregon they are slow and big like we are. Belmont a lot quicker will be hard to guard. Key should dominate inside, but will she?

Belmont is no quicker than Buffalo or most of the teams we face in the SEC. We’re much better defensively and on the boards than Oregon. Don’t overlook them but definitely is a winnable game.

Belmont is no quicker than Buffalo or most of the teams we face in the SEC. We’re much better defensively and on the boards than Oregon. Don’t overlook them but definitely is a winnable game.
We should win but will we Monday will tell us. A lot of teams should be winning a lot of them are losing.

I agree it'll be a tough game for sure. However, I'd rather not contend with Oregon's size in the event that Tamari's on the bench in foul trouble. The same could happen vs Belmont, but I feel better about Karoline and Sara mixing it up against their bigs. We may have to go small for stretches anyway. I could totally be off here - we'll see.

If we can make a few threes then it will be an easy win. They are going to swarm Tamari and we'll get some open looks. Oregon made like 4 of 25 and is why they lost the game today. Belmont really clogs the paint they give you a lot of looks from the perimeter. I expect to win something like the same score we won by today.

We should win but will we Monday will tell us. A lot of teams should be winning a lot of them are losing.
This isn't 20 or even 10 years ago. Teams across the board have gotten so much better. There is now better coaching and better athletes across the country. 6 double-digit seeded teams have already won in this first round. That is becoming the new norm it seems.

Belmont doesn't have one of the nation leading scorers on its team like Buffalo did today, either. Belmont is also gonna need a lot of recovery before Monday. That was a physical game for them and a few of their players were cramping up. Definitely a winnable game.....

Looking at the graphic that showed Carla Berube's record at every place she's coached ought to make some people rethink their belief that Shea Ralph is, or will be, Geno's designated successor!

Jim
Just about every UConn fan knows the job Carla (aka Coach Berube) has done. She never gave an indication of wanting to go to D1 even though she had a ton of chances. It was a surprise to me when she accepted Princeton. I think Princeton is a unique place for a unique person and I doubt she will move on from there. She will set Ivy league records that will not be broken.

Reactions: chuckiepoo and Lucy
If we can make a few threes then it will be an easy win. They are going to swarm Tamari and we'll get some open looks. Oregon made like 4 of 25 and is why they lost the game today. Belmont really clogs the paint they give you a lot of looks from the perimeter. I expect to win something like the same score we won by today.

Yep. The fact that their game plan won't have to change that much makes them a tough matchup for us.

Reactions: chuckiepoo and Lucy
I, and lots of others, think Ralph will stay at Vandy and Carla Berube would be Genos replacement. At least, I would like to see that. I'm sure nobody remembers that in that 1995 NC game, Berube was the player that sank the two free throws to ice the game. Sorry
I believe the replacement in the year 2032 will be someone we don't know yet. If he leaves in 5 years, I believe it will be Jemelle Elliott.

Belmont doesn't have one of the nation leading scorers on its team like Buffalo did today, either. Belmont is also gonna need a lot of recovery before Monday. That was a physical game for them and a few of their players were cramping up. Definitely a winnable game.....
Of course it’s winnable
Tennessee is favored by 10pts..

Yep. The fact that their game plan won't have to change that much makes them a tough matchup for us.
Certainly some similarities like size but I feel like we are more athletic at every position than Oregon.
Still, a challenging game. I’m just glad we won’t have to play that little guard from Buffalo again! Good lord! Did she ever miss?!?

Parity is a nice word for mediocrity.
Just because you don't see the best teams loaded with McDonald's All Americans beating their opponents by 50 every game doesn't mean mediocrity. It means the gap is closing. Heck, South Carolina, Stanford, North Carolina State, and Louisville have been in some close battles and won albeit, not by much, but they have lost some as well. If South Carolina falls to Iowa, which I think they may, does that make their play this season medicore? Not really, but they better not sleep on Miami tomorrow either, because they are playing really well right now too.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back