Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Responding to your post in the game thread over here since we are off topic lolol.

But that’s exactly what I imagine. Have a feeling Rae will be back in the starting lineup and we will go man when she’s in as long as it’s working.

When Tess subs in I think we have to go zone some. Sarah/Keyen may actually get the bulk of the reserve minutes in that game. I imagine it will be really physical and we’re going to need players who can guard in the paint on the floor.

Tess has been improving game by game so she may be totally capable by that point.

Oh snap! thanks ... good catch! i agree she is improving and i'm liking what we see. She is def now on the scouting report and you can tell how the defense tries to get out to defend her

Ranking 10 best freshmen in women's college basketball

I'm glad that they recognized Depaul's Aneesha Morrow at #1, even if she wasn't a high profile recruit and plays for an unranked team. At this point, I see little justification for why the NFOY should go to anyone but her...but have a sneaking suspicion that Olivia Miles will come away with it.

Surprisingly, not a single SEC freshman on this list...which I suppose is the pitfall of coming onto a team where your minutes will be limited due to the depth chart. I might have thrown Denae Carter a bone, though. She's doing work for MSST, even if she is an offensively challenged 6-footer being asked to play C in the SEC and bang it out with a bunch of 6'4-6'6 players.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK

I'm glad that they recognized Depaul's Aneesha Morrow at #1, even if she wasn't a high profile recruit and plays for an unranked team. At this point, I see little justification for why the NFOY should go to anyone but her...but have a sneaking suspicion that Olivia Miles will come away with it.

Surprisingly, not a single SEC freshman on this list...which I suppose is the pitfall of coming onto a team where your minutes will be limited due to the depth chart. I might have thrown Denae Carter a bone, though. She's doing work for MSST, even if she is an offensively challenged 6-footer being asked to play C in the SEC and bang it out with a bunch of 6'4-6'6 players.

Moore from Vandy and Puckett could have easily been on the list. A lot of these girls are not playing on competitive teams. So of course they’re getting more minutes/stats.

It's just ESPN doing ESPN type of things. I love Morrow and felt she would definitely should be number one but this is where I get annoyed by them and their rankings. Miles is good but shouldn't go on this list because she kind of had a head start playing some last season. Also they had to find a way to include a UConn player, has she played well these past couple of games yes, but with the small sample size in the amount of games she's played, she should not have made this list.

Call it being a homer but if they (ESPN) looked at all the freshman playing and felt Brooklyn nor Sarah play and feel at least one of them aren't worthy to be mention after ending the statement with they may not been rated in the Top 100 coming out of high school only to list Top 10 kids is crazy to me, but then when I noticed who wrote the article, it made sense.

I don't about any of the other girls on the list but Puckett is averaging 13.6 points and 5.3 rebounds per forty minutes played. She also has an efficiency rating of 14 per forty minutes played. She is hitting 49 percent from the field 35 percent from the three and 78 from the free throw line. Evidently all these players had better numbers than that per forty minutes of playing time.

It's just ESPN doing ESPN type of things. I love Morrow and felt she would definitely should be number one but this is where I get annoyed by them and their rankings. Miles is good but shouldn't go on this list because she kind of had a head start playing some last season. Also they had to find a way to include a UConn player, has she played well these past couple of games yes, but with the small sample size in the amount of games she's played, she should not have made this list.

Call it being a homer but if they (ESPN) looked at all the freshman playing and felt Brooklyn nor Sarah play and feel at least one of them aren't worthy to be mention after ending the statement with they may not been rated in the Top 100 coming out of high school only to list Top 10 kids is crazy to me, but then when I noticed who wrote the article, it made sense.

I'm not sure if Olivia and Talia are classified as freshmen or sophomores. If not for Morrow, I would have assumed that Olivia would be the runaway winner (I didn't even know about Aneesha until a few days ago).

I think it's being a homer to think Brooklyn belongs anywhere near this list. She's providing valuable minutes, but she's not on the same level as these players. An argument can be made for Puckett, but with Rae back, I can see her minutes (and numbers) going down. Not sure why you think it's a stretch that Ducharme made the list. She's played in every game except vs. SC, and is averaging 16.4 pts over the last 8 games, and is very much one of the frontrunners for NFOY if she continues to play at the level she's at.

I don't about any of the other girls on the list but Puckett is averaging 13.6 points and 5.3 rebounds per forty minutes played. She also has an efficiency rating of 14 per forty minutes played. She is hitting 49 percent from the field 35 percent from the three and 78 from the free throw line. Evidently all these players had better numbers than that per forty minutes of playing time.

Per 40 minutes played is a fairly meaningless metric when you're comparing against players that actually are routinely playing 25-35 min per game.

Reactions: Bballnut1952
Moore from Vandy and Puckett could have easily been on the list. A lot of these girls are not playing on competitive teams. So of course they’re getting more minutes/stats.
Not sure what you mean by "not competitive" teams. Only Curry is playing for a team that is a bottom feeder.

If Aneesha continues at her pace, do you think she deserves the award?

I'm not sure if Olivia and Talia are classified as freshmen or sophomores. If not for Morrow, I would have assumed that Olivia would be the runaway winner (I didn't even know about Aneesha until a few days ago).

I think it's being a homer to think Brooklyn belongs anywhere near this list. She's providing valuable minutes, but she's not on the same level as these players. An argument can be made for Puckett, but with Rae back, I can see her minutes (and numbers) going down. Not sure why you think it's a stretch that Ducharme made the list. She's played in every game except vs. SC, and is averaging 16.4 pts over the last 8 games, and is very much one of the frontrunners for NFOY if she continues to play at the level she's at.
Miles isn’t eligible in the ACC for freshman of the week

Aneesah Morrow per 40 --> 27.6 points and 17.8 rebounds.

She is number one on the list what about everybody else.
I didn't check everyone. After doing the top I decided to save time and check out the bottom 2 DuCharme and Sellers. You have an argument comparing her to Sellers on a 40 minute basis 12.4 ppg and 5.4 rpg.

Not sure what you mean by "not competitive" teams. Only Curry is playing for a team that is a bottom feeder.

If Aneesha continues at her pace, do you think she deserves the award?

I mean teams where they are not having to compete for minutes.

All of the players listed are only listed based on their current offensive stats. They only have the current stats they have because their teams have no other option so they are getting a lot of minutes. Think Ducharme would be on there if Bueckers, Fudd and Griffin were out?

They never account for other factors either. I truly believe Miles is a top 10 freshman in the nation for the defensive contributions she has made to the #1 FG% defense in the country.

She almost always has one of the best +\- on the team but often doesn’t even score a point.

VN Store

Back