Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

If it works and Kellie is forced to go with Emily, she will pick up 3 fouls the first 3 times she has to defend Boston. Aliyah will go right at her every time. There was a game vs. MSST a few years back where Jessika Carter got into foul trouble, and Yemiyah Morris and Promise Taylor were brought off the bench and taking turns fouling Boston until the quarter ended. She practically fouled out MSST's 3 6'5-6'6 post players in three quarters...and all of them are much, MUCH better than Emily will be on her best day. I'd rather see Keyen try to use her big body to hold her ground or roll the dice with Karoline.

Fortunately, Kellie has until Feb. 20 to get a plan together for South Carolina. Of course, SC is only going to improve between now and then -- yikes! -- but hopefully we'll have more bodies to throw at Boston & Co. by then, too.

I have to say, yesterday I was reminded of the fact that Key plays way stronger against players closer to her size than she does against the smaller players who end up sticking their hands in her face and holding her arms because that's the only thing they can do. And unfortunately, the officials let the smaller players maul Tamari, but they seem to call it more evenly when the opponents are bigger.

Fortunately, Kellie has until Feb. 20 to get a plan together for South Carolina. Of course, SC is only going to improve between now and then -- yikes! -- but hopefully we'll have more bodies to throw at Boston & Co. by then, too.

I have to say, yesterday I was reminded of the fact that Key plays way stronger against players closer to her size than she does against the smaller players who end up sticking their hands in her face and holding her arms because that's the only thing they can do. And unfortunately, the officials let the smaller players maul Tamari, but they seem to call it more evenly when the opponents are bigger.

Yes! The posters who stop in to say she needs to be “more physical” are so confused lol.

Tamari is extremely physical. If you watch her rebounds from Sunday that’s obvious. She was aggressive both in pursuing the ball and clearing space after she got it. Blocked 10 shots and altered probably 20+. Passive players don’t have 18 boards and 10 blocks.

She always struggles in games against very small players because normal movement for her looks excessive. She’s not even allowed to occupy space without being called for a foul. It’s very frustrating. You can tell she relishes the chance to play against another true big.

I don't dispute that Tamari will live up to her end of the deal. It's a matter of who comes in behind her. I don't see a single reason it should be Emily, unless every one else (Tamari, Keyen, Karoline) are already in foul trouble.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Is hard to talk about Emily because she's just sweet.. I wish she could help a little.
A big wish of mine would be to see Emily get more playing time. She is a good player. Tops in her state. If she had a few more minutes she might gain some confidence. I know the coaches would like to see her on the court more.

A big wish of mine would be to see Emily get more playing time. She is a good player. Tops in her state. If she had a few more minutes she might gain some confidence. I know the coaches would like to see her on the court more.

I do think Emily can carve out some minutes for herself. Truly needs to get serious about nutrition and conditioning though.

She is my current fav Lady Vol because she has been such a positive player from day #1. She loves the lady vols so much and it’s so obvious. Always the first off the bench after a good play, even a couple seasons ago as a freshman when things were very uncertain. She’s a fan first and loves the program.

To get on the floor more her game speed needs to improve though. There is really only one way to do that, and it takes lots of work in the weight room and the kitchen. She has superior length and historically finishes shots well. She would be a huge asset on the floor if she could play both ends at SEC speed. Defensively she’s too much of a liability though because she is often not able to get back in time to be in good defensive position. Tends to give up looks at the bucket and pick up fouls coming in late.

Really believe she has it in her, would love to see her earn some time later this season or next for her senior year. Coach Harper doesn’t seem to be the type that’s going to give anyone anything, you’ve got to earn it.

I watched the game of UCONN and SC on youtube its early in the season but that Fudd dynamic isn't going to work this year atleast I don't see it.No way is she accepting coming off the bench I believe she's just disguising her real feelings and being a team player and the way parents are involved now I don't think it's sitting well with them either. Paige was everything as a freshman and Fudd had to think I'm coming in as the next big freshman thing and right now it's off script.I will just see how this plays out.

I watched the game of UCONN and SC on youtube its early in the season but that Fudd dynamic isn't going to work this year atleast I don't see it.No way is she accepting coming off the bench I believe she's just disguising her real feelings and being a team player and the way parents are involved now I don't think it's sitting well with them either. Paige was everything as a freshman and Fudd had to think I'm coming in as the next big freshman thing and right now it's off script.I will just see how this plays out.
Too early to say. Most of the highly ranked freshmen aren't making huge impacts for their teams yet.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
I hope the bus he threw them under was not one of those huge touring class buses.

He throws them under the bus when they win. That's why these ladies play for him. They want someone who will drive them to be their very best. He can't tell the press they tried hard and just lost to a better team and then rip them in the film session. That's disingenuous. He's perturbed at the way they played and they will hear about it and and expect to change. Tomorrow is a beach day and swimming with the dolphins. CD is in charge. They won't see Geno until they go to dinner Tuesday or get on the plane Wednesday. He'll be playing golf and going shopping with his wife. Film will probably be Wednesday night and then they will get an ear full.

An imagination is a wonderful thing. Hold these thoughts and then check back in March.

As much as I know folks will roll their eyes because it’s UConn, but you have to love when a kid has been invested in a dream for that long and works hard enough to make it happen.
Do little girls not dream of growing up and being lady Vols anymore?

Big respect for USF team
I agree; they are very good and a very tough out. But just to be accurate--and to defend my team a bit without, I hope, being overly homerish--Oregon has been playing 3 games in three days with a roster of 8, which--more to the point--does not include 3 starters (Paopao, Rogers, Sabally), all of them all conference last year and the 3 best players on the team, + a reserve guard, who looked very good in the one game she has played, and a grad transfer who hasn't been cleared by the NCAA. I realize Burrell is a very big loss for Tennessee, but imagine adding to that loss Horston, Key, and a reserve and then ask, how would that team look playing 3 games in 3 days, one against the best team currently, another against a very good team, and a third against an experienced team that isn't exactly a pushover? Injury-wise, the Ducks have not gotten a lot of help from the basketball gods since the cancellation of the 2019-20 tournament cost the best team in program history a chance at winning a title (despite Dawn's banner).

Last edited:
He throws them under the bus when they win. That's why these ladies play for him. They want someone who will drive them to be their very best. He can't tell the press they tried hard and just lost to a better team and then rip them in the film session. That's disingenuous. He's perturbed at the way they played and they will hear about it and and expect to change. Tomorrow is a beach day and swimming with the dolphins. CD is in charge. They won't see Geno until they go to dinner Tuesday or get on the plane Wednesday. He'll be playing golf and going shopping with his wife. Film will probably be Wednesday night and then they will get an ear full.

That's really sad.

I will make the conn fans happy, I think they might go undefeated in the regular season, maybe one loss. I think Geno still does not win it all though, conn has lost the mystique, it’s been what, 5-6 years?
Well, we know that didn’t happen. Ha don’t faith in your team!

Looking forward to the rematch with UConn on Jan 27 at the friendly confines of Columbia's CLA. Wouldn't expect a slow start for SC as we remember UConn's last trip there.

Big game for the fowls with #3 Maryland on Dec 12.

Oregon going to be a lot better than they are showing now. Two key players are injured and one is their main point guard. SC beat them by 19 got to play everybody. USF wins by nine after leading by 15.
So many early great games so fun to see teams playing competition early it can only make those teams better. Will be a fun tourney come March.

VN Store

Back