Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Unlike our “bests,” Wilson made the almost mind-blowing (at the time) decision to turn down ALL of the top programs who greatly coveted her in order to stay home and try to get South Carolina out of the perpetual cellar of the SEC.

South Carolina finished first in the SEC prior to Wilson's first season. Nothing like a little revisionist history...

Jesus. That’s quite a leap you made there. lol

I’ll be blunt: Why in the hell do you or anyone else care whether South Carolina is so super proud of one of their own who brought so much glory to their state’s biggest university that they gave her a statue?

Why can’t people just be happy that another male sports/football-dominated SEC school actually bothered to recognize the contributions of a FEMALE athlete? Why do you feel so offended by their pride in Aja Wilson?
I’m definitely not offended. More like bemused eye rolling. It is like going to dinner with the guy who insists on telling you how much his Rolex cost when you are wearing a Phillipe Patek.

I’m definitely not offended. More like bemused eye rolling. It is like going to dinner with the guy who insists on telling you how much his Rolex cost when you are wearing a Phillipe Patek.

They misspelled mine, it says "RowLex"
Sigh
Wasted $69.95

Reactions: Bret178

I’ll be blunt: Why in the hell do you or anyone else care whether South Carolina is so super proud of one of their own who brought so much glory to their state’s biggest university that they gave her a statue?

Why can’t people just be happy that another male sports/football-dominated SEC school actually bothered to recognize the contributions of a FEMALE athlete? Why do you feel so offended by their pride in Aja Wilson?
The irony is that UConn and Tennessee fans are the most vocal about it. Baylor fans didn't make much of a deal about it but Kim Mulkey has been criticized by some UConn fans for making Big 12 championship rings for her players.

Last edited:
The irony is that UConn and Tennessee fans are the most vocal about it. Baylor fans didn't make much of a deal about it but Kim Mulkey has been criticized by some UConn fans for making Big 12 championship rings for her players.

Conference Championship rings? those are common in college... why would anybody get mad over a conference championship ring? were they upset over conf. tourney rings ?

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Conference Championship rings? those are common in college... why would anybody get mad over a conference championship ring? were they upset over conf. tourney rings ?
They were Conference tournament championship rings. Their opinion is that rings should be reserved for just national championships.

What is false about the banner? It does not claim a National Championship. SC ended the season as the consensus #1 team in the country when the college season ended abruptly. I believe the banner should have said "consensus" instead of "unanimous" due to the fact a minority of the voters voted Oregon number one. So they should be the only team/fan base with an issue with it. The banner was put up for her players and the fans as a reward for the season they had.

They weren’t the consensus #1. But if the banner makes them happy then so be it

Not everyone Colley-Matrix, one of the official rankings used by the NCAA to determine its champions, named UCF as national champions. That is why they claimed the title. No one said Dawn was national champions even after she appealed to the NCAA to name SCAR as national champions.

Someone is feeling threatened by Staley and SC.

They weren’t the consensus #1. But if the banner makes them happy then so be it

Oh? Who was the consensus #1 then? I kinda remember SC being the consensus #1 in every poll, and were 32-1 and riding a 26 game win streak. Maybe we don't understand the word consensus?

Oh? Who was the consensus #1 then? I kinda remember SC being the consensus #1 in every poll, and were 32-1 and riding a 26 game win streak. Maybe we don't understand the word consensus?
So this last season, UCONN was ranked number 1 at the end of the season. Would you think it was an act of class if they raised a banner to everyone that they were the true number one team. They weren't even in the final 2.

If we'd like to get into the semantics, they technically were the consensus number one at the end of the season. The bigger issue in my head is that they claim to be the unanimous number one.

In the final AP poll, SC got 26 votes and Oregon got 4.
In the coaches' poll, it was 26 for SC and 6 for Oregon.

Those 10 Oregon voters make their unanimous claim null and void.

I feel like someone who gets paid a lot more money than me should have caught that before it went to the banner maker, but what do I really know?

COL_banner_20201231_TracyGlantz002.jpg

It means nothing to be number one at the end of the season except you get the supposedly best draw in the tournament. You win nothing by being number one in a poll. This has been talked about way to much and in the final analysis it means nothing to anybody and counts for nothing to anybody other than I guess some of their most gullible fans. Enough about the banner if they want the humiliation of every other team and fan thinking they are a little Narcissistic leave them alone and let it happen. They can put up a fake banner and we can laugh about it that the way it is going to go.

Since Indiana beat them, should they also raise a banner that they beat the number one team? Then Indiana lost to 8 teams that year, should those teams raise a banner stating they beat the team that beat SC the team with the "unanimous" end of year banner?... If we keep going, we should have everyone putting up a banner 😁😁

It means nothing to be number one at the end of the season except you get the supposedly best draw in the tournament. You win nothing by being number one in a poll. This has been talked about way to much and in the final analysis it means nothing to anybody and counts for nothing to anybody other than I guess some of their most gullible fans. Enough about the banner if they want the humiliation of every other team and fan thinking they are a little Narcissistic leave them alone and let it happen. They can put up a fake banner and we can laugh about it that the way it is going to go.

not sure I can find this so easily for the women's NCAA tourney, but for the men's:...

In the 16 years the selection committee has announced an overall No. 1 seed, that team has failed to make it past the first weekend more often (four times) than it has won the championship (three times).

for the womenm I found this:

Since the women's tournament began in 1982, 17 teams have entered the tournament ranked #1 in at least 1 poll and gone on to win the tournament:...so in 38 tournaments 17 have done it

Last edited:

Perhaps, but I am very regular on the UConn outlets and never heard Baylor rings, any other rings, mentioned. You win something on the floor then celebrate. Conference title, District final, Regional final; give rings , hang banners.

not sure I can find this so easily for the women's NCAA tourney, but for the men's:...

In the 16 years the selection committee has announced an overall No. 1 seed, that team has failed to make it past the first weekend more often (four times) than it has won the championship (three times).

for the womenm I found this:

Since the women's tournament began in 1982, 17 teams have entered the tournament ranked #1 in at least 1 poll and gone on to win the tournament:...so in 38 tournaments 17 have done it

The one year that should be noted in the discussion is 2017 when UConn went into the tourney ranked #1, ND was #2, and SCAR was #3.

Reactions: Coach Jumper

Because we're uber sports fans on a team forum and are therefore allowed to hyperventilate over the tiniest miscues of our rivals, especially those who whip our arse regularly. We allow ourselves to be jealous bitter biotches bc this is sports, not real life.

Why can’t people just be happy that another male sports/football-dominated SEC school actually bothered to recognize the contributions of a FEMALE athlete?
I'm sure most people are over the moon happy about all that stuff. But they don't post on fan forums.

Lighten up. It's all in fun. Of course it's none of our biz but that never stops us. To be honest, I just think the statue is tacky, kind of like Kim Mulky's wardrobe. Overreach, tried too hard, turned out gaudy. Ditto for the banner. At least wait five years or something. See if Wilson accomplishes more.

Last edited:
Unlike our “bests,” Wilson made the almost mind-blowing (at the time) decision to turn down ALL of the top programs who greatly coveted her in order to stay home and try to get South Carolina out of the perpetual cellar of the SEC.

Your memory seems a little foggy on the details. It wasn't mind-blowing. She had been thought to have been a SC lean for quite a while before committing -- despite, for no reason other than she wanted more attention, dragging out her recruitment into the late signing period. Also, SC won the SEC and was a 1 seed in the NCAAT the year before she got to campus.

VN Store

Back