Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

...plus you get to play in a conference full of patsies, so you'll have fresh legs and a high seed for the Big Dance.

Gabby was a McD AA who was ranked in the top 15 by ESPN. She was pretty highly acclaimed coming in.

Agree that UConn's success is probably the greatest recruiting tool Geno can ask for. He knows that if kids want to play in the Final Four, then UConn's on the short list of schools with the track record to get them there

Shea Ralph to Vandy is picking up steam.

Did anybody here knew that Shea's husband Tom Garrick was apart of former Melanie Balcomb's staff?

Last edited:
A lot of coaches saying they like the neutral court system for all NCAA games. I am personally against it I like the two home games for the top 16 format better. I hope the NCAA keeps it that way.

The NCAA made statements today citing the latest anti LGBT legislation in several states and indicating that they would not hold regional or national events in states that supported discriminatory practices. This could prevent schools such as Arkansas, NC State and Tennessee from hosting in future Tourneys.

If it happens she still has a lot to prove. His other former players/assistants haven’t exactly set the world on fire.

A significant number of vocal Connecticut fans have, for years, speculated that Ralph should be a top candidate to eventually take over for Auriemma when he retires, so the Vanderbilt job would be the perfect audition. Even though many Huskies fans don’t appear to believe she necessarily needs to have head coach experience before taking over for Auriemma, for those few who aren’t so sure about that, this will be an ideal proving ground for her.

She’d be in a situation similar to current “It Girl” Coach Adia Barnes, only whomever takes over at Vandy actually DOES have some decent history in WCBB to point to. Arizona, except for Adia Barnes as a player herself, hasn’t had a tremendous amount of historical success. At least Vandy had, until the last few miserable-for-them years, been a relatively consistent fixture in postseason play.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
I’ll add that Ralph’s first hire should be former Commodore (and former Huskies assistant) Jasmine Lister. If she doesn’t make that happen there should instantly be questions about her ability to recruit to Vanderbilt.

SMu gets a big; Amirah Abdur-Rahim
Ey0AcXtXMAMmAoA

I think it’s a dumb hire on Vandy’s part. Who in their right mind doesn’t think Shea will be priority number one for UCONN when Geno steps down??? Vandy gonna be looking for another head coach in a few years.
The way things have been going at Vandy if they could get two or three good years it is a take for them.

I’ll add that Ralph’s first hire should be former Commodore (and former Huskies assistant) Jasmine Lister. If she doesn’t make that happen there should instantly be questions about her ability to recruit to Vanderbilt.
Jaz has been out of basketball for a while. But another possibility is The former HC at GW.

She’ll get the UConn overflow. One Twitter ‘expert’ is saying a post and a wing are going to transfer with her. Strange because she coached the guards.
Guessing it will be Mir and Piath. Maybe Griffin too, since it looks like she's getting pushed further down the rotation with the newcomers.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
If it happens she still has a lot to prove. His other former players/assistants haven’t exactly set the world on fire.
Recruiting at Vandy is a far different task than recruiting at UConn. Getting them competitive in the SEC has to be the first goal. Nationally maybe someday going to take a lot of work and some really outstanding recruiting.

Recruiting at Vandy is a far different task than recruiting at UConn. Getting them competitive in the SEC has to be the first goal. Nationally maybe someday going to take a lot of work and some really outstanding recruiting.
I think this is a great hire for Vanderbilt and am not certain that Ralph will head for UCONN should she ever be offered that job. She is from North Carolina, I believe, and her husband (also a coach) was an assistant at Vanderbilt from, I think, 2009-15, so she should be reasonably informed about the school and what it's like to compete in the SEC. She is also very intense, even by Auriemma standards.

VN Store

Back