Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Except EDD left no impact on Delaware. They won nothing and quickly returned to oblivion. Lobo had an impact because she changed a program from cow town (literally the most famous thing about UConn was the ice cream they made from their own dairy herd) to perennial contender.

Lobo was a good collegiate player. But UConn actually made the Final Four in 1991 BEFORE she was on the team. The team with Lobo had fair success for her first three years but never made the Final Four. Lobo had her best year in 1993 – 94, UConn won 30 games, and signed their highest rated recruit up to that point, Nykesha Sales. In '95 three underclassmen who had developed into very good players each averaged double digits in scoring – Elliott, Rizzotti, and Wolters – and the NCAA Freshman of the Year Sales who also averaged double digits, made a huge difference and the team went undefeated. Sales then helped lead the team to several Elite Eights, Geno landed recruits Shea Ralph and Svetlana Abosimova, and they were established as an elite program.

Lobo tends to get all the credit for UConn's rise, but there were some other factors and players who made their ascent possible. The 91 team, Sales, Rizzotti, Wolters, Elliott, and some good coaching, two large venues, good press coverage, etc.

Except EDD left no impact on Delaware. They won nothing and quickly returned to oblivion. Lobo had an impact because she changed a program from cow town (literally the most famous thing about UConn was the ice cream they made from their own dairy herd) to perennial contender.

Nobody cares. Take this elsewhere. Again, this is the Lady Vol 2021 recruiting thread. Anytime something remotely related to UCONN is mentioned is not an invitation for you to post a bunch of nonsense about them. Respect the board, thread topics and the Vols or GTFO.

And for the record, EDD changed women’s basketball. And proved she didn’t need Geno to do it at the same time.

Lobo was a good collegiate player. But UConn actually made the Final Four in 1991 BEFORE she was on the team. The team with Lobo had fair success for her first three years but never made the Final Four. Lobo had her best year in 1993 – 94, UConn won 30 games, and signed their highest rated recruit up to that point, Nykesha Sales. In '95 three underclassmen who had developed into very good players each averaged double digits in scoring – Elliott, Rizzotti, and Wolters – and the NCAA Freshman of the Year Sales who also averaged double digits, made a huge difference and the team went undefeated. Sales then helped lead the team to several Elite Eights, Geno landed recruits Shea Ralph and Svetlana Abosimova, and they were established as an elite program.

Lobo tends to get all the credit for UConn's rise, but there were some other factors and players who made their ascent possible. The 91 team, Sales, Rizzotti, Wolters, Elliott, and some good coaching, two large venues, good press coverage, etc.
A little research would help you out. Here's a little video for you

He's deliberately posting in the wrong thread just to provoke. Moderators are more than likely going to tire of moving needorange posts to this thread.

Reactions: VolBall09
Lady Vols....59
Rutgers......46

NCAA-SCARLET-KNIGHTS-LADY-VOLS.jpg

Last edited:
Need Orange needs a transfusion
I need to see some real games played. Just frustrated with all this nothing.

And @Rickster, I typically only post here and on the 2021 recruiting post. sometimes I'll see something. somewhere else but mostly here and 2021. I don't think I have brought up UConn unless someone else does except to use them as an example of the good that is going on in KJH's program. I have never (to the best of my recollection at this time) posted a derogatory comment about any LV player or coach.

@Lucy, it obvious that you are a fervent LV fan and have a bit of angst towards UConn. I respect you and enjoy your enthusiasm.

Reactions: mcannon1
I need to see some real games played. Just frustrated with all this nothing.

And @Rickster, I typically only post here and on the 2021 recruiting post. sometimes I'll see something. somewhere else but mostly here and 2021. I don't think I have brought up UConn unless someone else does except to use them as an example of the good that is going on in KJH's program. I have never (to the best of my recollection at this time) posted a derogatory comment about any LV player or coach.

@Lucy, it obvious that you are a fervent LV fan and have a bit of angst towards UConn. I respect you and enjoy your enthusiasm.

....just sick of seeing the connie posts on Lady Vol sites.
No matter what the thread.
I'll be glad when the momentum swings back to here so we can shut the connie-lovers up.
Enough is enough.
We get it....This is how they felt before the new millennium

Reactions: Rickster
....just sick of seeing the connie posts on Lady Vol sites.
No matter what the thread.
I'll be glad when the momentum swings back to here so we can shut the connie-lovers up.
Enough is enough.
We get it....This is how they felt before the new millennium

@Jumper, This is where I may be different from some of you. I love basketball. Specifically the Women's NCAA version because it is a pure game where you one player can't dominate all the time. Where a team must come together to meet mutual goals. I want the LV's to be great and KJH to be the worthy heir to CPS. Also I want Niele Ivey to do fantastic at ND and I think the arrival of the west coast teams is wonderful And Kim Mulkey is just so passionate how can you cheer against them. I'm really interested to see what happens at Texas since their coach change. They have unlimited potential. I don't really get the myopic view of the game where you can support only one team. I understand the passion of the moment and things that are said in the heat of battle, but you can't carry those things in your soul. All that said, I will leave you all to your passion and I will go on and enjoy the game.

@Jumper, This is where I may be different from some of you. I love basketball. Specifically the Women's NCAA version because it is a pure game where you one player can't dominate all the time. Where a team must come together to meet mutual goals. I want the LV's to be great and KJH to be the worthy heir to CPS. Also I want Niele Ivey to do fantastic at ND and I think the arrival of the west coast teams is wonderful And Kim Mulkey is just so passionate how can you cheer against them. I'm really interested to see what happens at Texas since their coach change. They have unlimited potential. I don't really get the myopic view of the game where you can support only one team. I understand the passion of the moment and things that are said in the heat of battle, but you can't carry those things in your soul. All that said, I will leave you all to your passion and I will go on and enjoy the game.
All I am saying is keep the connies on this thread. It is for such a post, but I see them hijacking every thread and that is where I draw the line. I am cool with connie discussions here on a non-lady vol thread, But when I see them on recruiting, player specific, and game threads this pisses me off.

All I am saying is keep the connies on this thread. It is for such a post, but I see them hijacking every thread and that is where I draw the line. I am cool with connie discussions here on a non-lady vol thread, But when I see them on recruiting, player specific, and game threads this pisses me off.
It wasn’t Needsorange that mentioned UConn first. It is usually a Tennessee fan.

Great post, please don't go. I enjoy fun, challenging discussion from various viewpoints, even when they poke, perplex, or piss off at times. Thank you for your passion for WCBB, there are so few of us and I wish we valued each other more. I ain't scared of you varmit Connie!
that is where I draw the line.
Oh it's your line. OK, didn't know. I'll try to adhere more strictly to your rules. Didn't realize staying on thread topic was so necessary right now with so few of us posting and in a sports desert. Discussion kind of naturally roams and rambles.

I think the season is definitely happening in some form and I'm excited. Interesting coaching changes (even more former LVs!), player shuffling, and emerging young players, the SEC is going to be strong next year.

I, for one, am glad you’re here and the rest of the folks from other programs are always welcome on any thread if it’s up to lil ole me. As long as everyone is respectful, that’s all I care about. I read and post (occasionally) on the BY and for the most part feel welcomed there. They have, of course, a few that just spew hatred towards the LVs but I over look them.

I, for one, am glad you’re here and the rest of the folks from other programs are always welcome on any thread if it’s up to lil ole me. As long as everyone is respectful, that’s all I care about. I read and post (occasionally) on the BY and for the most part feel welcomed there. They have, of course, a few that just spew hatred towards the LVs but I over look them.

That is key, it is when a thread gets hijacked into a Yay!_____ or into an attack of a player or coach that get my dander up

As long as it is discussional and topical, I am cool with it

That is key, it is when a thread gets hijacked into a Yay!_____ or into an attack of a player or coach that get my dander up

As long as it is discussional and topical, I am cool with it
Just my opinion but I think a lot of posters start to get agitated because some posters are very passive aggressive in their post. lol It falls into the what not to do in the respectful category...That's just my take but I am someone who believes you can achieve more success with words and the philosophy of "always act never react. " Then again it is a message board...lol

Hey, keep me out of this :p This whole conversation started because I said that "generational" and "transformative" is an overrated description for HS prospects. No idea how it turned into UConn...
It was Gametime that posted the first mention specifically about UConn.

“When UConn signs Azzi....Conn!” With a Bill Shatner picture.

You did bring up Stewart as well.

And what I believe is a Tennessee fan posted a long post about UConn ’95.

That gave NeedOrange a chance to post the ‘95 video. That wasn’t necessary.

Reactions: Lucy
Raina Perez is now listed as a grad transfer and would be eligible immediately. 5’4” guard would enter as a RS Junior and reining Big West Player of The Year. Averaged 19.8 PPG, 5.4 RPG, 4.2 APG. IMO we would be an perfect fit for her. We have availability at the position she’s likely looking for and a great roster to compliment her skill set.

The potential to have her for two seasons is very appealing as well.

[QUOTE="NeedOrange, post: 18238557, member: 74097] All that said, I will leave you all to your passion and I will go on and enjoy the game.[/QUOTE]

I love your posts, and hope you are not leaving the board. I too am a fan of the game. In awe of the great women's coaches from other schools, and surely hoping TN has one now also. Hope you continue to post here. Don't let the whiners stop your posts.

I'm not a whiner.

The only issue I have is the UConn discussion (Video) in our recruiting thread. If he wants to post that stuff, this is the thread to do it in. You would think having a moderator move his posts (fully intact no less) to this thread, on at least two different occasions, would clarify things.

VN Store

Back