Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

I think she has to be headed for a Mid Major stats not really making me think a Power five will be looking to take her.

I would agree. Her numbers were down last year. Her shooting percentage ranked for some reason. Went from about a 40% 3 pt. shooter to 25%.

Holly, at first, was considered an extension of Pat, who was the REAL star of Tennessee recruiting -- even after she'd passed. But Holly's problem was -- and recruits didn't know it until it was too late -- that she wasn't head coach material. Only after they'd each heard the phrase "I don't know" 20 times did they finally start to realize that, well, she actually DIDN'T. It was plain to see reality set in for each of those highly-ranked players as, one by one, the excitement of playing at Tennessee drained right out of them.

I'll always believe that recruits deeply wanted to believe that playing for Holly would be the next-best-thing to playing for Pat, everyone's actual reason at that time for wanting to come to Tennessee -- to breathe that air that, for a while, still was in the program. But over time they were each disillusioned enough to check out nearly altogether toward the ends of their careers. It was the saddest thing to watch, over and over again, that I've ever seen sports-wise.

But now we have Kellie, and I sure would like to see everyone give her a chance to build confidence with recruits. Holly inherited a program that was hurting and struggling to get back to Final Fours, but Kellie inherited a program that was struggling to reach the NCAA Tournament, period.

It's apples to oranges, and so Kellie deserves way more time to prove her mettle before giving up on her. I fully believe she has it in her.
I want to see it, I really do. I PRAY she has it in her. I grew up watching her, I love her heart, I love her passion. I’m not giving up on her or wishing anything bad to happen, as a matter of fact I hope she’s extremely successful. If she’s successful, the program is successful.
With that being said, I have never seen her land a big recruit, so until that happens, I will have my doubts.

It's amazing how quick she's getting it done on the recruiting trail. Vic, I understand. He's probably been in these players' ears all year, but Ivey was out of the college game for a year and has picked right back up as if she never left. Impressive!

Kellie stans: "It takes years to build relationships in recruiting blah blah blah..."

Niele Ivey: "Hold my beer..."

Kellie stans: "It takes years to build relationships in recruiting blah blah blah..."

Niele Ivey: "Hold my beer..."

Darth,

I know you like pulling people's chains, but are you really going to try to suggest that Niele Ivey is essentially starting from scratch as a recruiter at Notre Dame? And don't bother telling me that Kellie has been recruiting players for years, because you would be the first with the biggest yowl if Kellie were to focus on the players that she had been recruiting at MO ST for her Lady Vols team, proclaiming them unworthy of playing in the SEC!

Jim

Holly, at first, was considered an extension of Pat, who was the REAL star of Tennessee recruiting -- even after she'd passed. But Holly's problem was -- and recruits didn't know it until it was too late -- that she wasn't head coach material. Only after they'd each heard the phrase "I don't know" 20 times did they finally start to realize that, well, she actually DIDN'T. It was plain to see reality set in for each of those highly-ranked players as, one by one, the excitement of playing at Tennessee drained right out of them.

I'll always believe that recruits deeply wanted to believe that playing for Holly would be the next-best-thing to playing for Pat, everyone's actual reason at that time for wanting to come to Tennessee -- to breathe that air that, for a while, still was in the program. But over time they were each disillusioned enough to check out nearly altogether toward the ends of their careers. It was the saddest thing to watch, over and over again, that I've ever seen sports-wise.

But now we have Kellie, and I sure would like to see everyone give her a chance to build confidence with recruits. Holly inherited a program that was hurting and struggling to get back to Final Fours, but Kellie inherited a program that was struggling to reach the NCAA Tournament, period.

It's apples to oranges, and so Kellie deserves way more time to prove her mettle before giving up on her. I fully believe she has it in her.
Good post lvocd.

Reactions: JohnnyPayne
Darth,

I know you like pulling people's chains, but are you really going to try to suggest that Niele Ivey is essentially starting from scratch as a recruiter at Notre Dame? And don't bother telling me that Kellie has been recruiting players for years, because you would be the first with the biggest yowl if Kellie were to focus on the players that she had been recruiting at MO ST for her Lady Vols team, proclaiming them unworthy of playing in the SEC!

Jim
Great post! It baffles me how people aren’t considering that Ivey has only been away from the ND program for 1 year (less than a year actually). High school basketball players are recruited FOR YEARS. Those not acknowledging that Ivey had already established relationships with these recruits are just kidding themselves. She isn’t starting from scratch as Jim indicates here!!

Darth,

Jim

Bing to the 'O'

Reactions: krichunaka
I see Darth is back....
giphy.gif

Great post! It baffles me how people aren’t considering that Ivey has only been away from the ND program for 1 year (less than a year actually). High school basketball players are recruited FOR YEARS. Those not acknowledging that Ivey had already established relationships with these recruits are just kidding themselves. She isn’t starting from scratch as Jim indicates here!!
Nah, you don't have to get baffled. People are considering that Ivey had a primrose path all laid out for her. Never was a transition so preordained and seamless. It's just Darth pretending he doesn't see that in order to yank chain.

Wow...2020 rankings and Ole Miss leads SEC at #13...and UK at #14 only other top 20 program...this conference losing a lot of luster

Wow...2020 rankings and Ole Miss leads SEC at #13...and UK at #14 only other top 20 program...this conference losing a lot of luster
Not necessarily. SC and MSST both had big classes last year with a lot of top players, so it's no surprise that they went smaller this year (although MSST also got hurt by the coaching change)

Reactions: superfly
I want to see it, I really do. I PRAY she has it in her. I grew up watching her, I love her heart, I love her passion. I’m not giving up on her or wishing anything bad to happen, as a matter of fact I hope she’s extremely successful. If she’s successful, the program is successful.
With that being said, I have never seen her land a big recruit, so until that happens, I will have my doubts.
The main problem is that, the Lady Vol fan base has experienced so much success for so many years that they may now be too inpatient with Kellie. Holly was given a long rope and that does not benefit Kellie's opportunity to turn it around in a fair amount of time. I think she was a great choice.....even if she was not the most popular one. I was always wary of bringing back former players to coach their old schools team because emotions can get in the way. I hope it doesn't happen here and Kellie has already been a coach long enough to maybe get some of that emotion out of her system. She has to be given a fair chance and that should be year 3. If she increases her SEC win total each year and has good recruiting classes...then the sky is the limit. It's still more competitive now than ever though.

The main problem is that, the Lady Vol fan base has experienced so much success for so many years that they may now be too inpatient with Kellie. Holly was given a long rope and that does not benefit Kellie's opportunity to turn it around in a fair amount of time. I think she was a great choice.....even if she was not the most popular one. I was always wary of bringing back former players to coach their old schools team because emotions can get in the way. I hope it doesn't happen here and Kellie has already been a coach long enough to maybe get some of that emotion out of her system. She has to be given a fair chance and that should be year 3. If she increases her SEC win total each year and has good recruiting classes...then the sky is the limit. It's still more competitive now than ever though.

I agree to an extent....Bringing back an ex-player with no HC coaching experience is a dumb move,no matter what her name is. But bringing back an ex-player with recent HC success and that was on one of the most dominant teams in LV history is a very smart move.,,,in theory

The proof will be in the next year or two...Will they correct and reinforce exposed inadequacies, or duplicate them continually...That will determine if it is the right move. Year one will not. Year one is all about erasing the memory of the prior campaign and starting the characteristics of the new one.

Good post Superfly.....Holly definitely stayed too long, and her lack of interest in offense was a program destroyer....She never saw her limitations....Still paying for it.
Magnum%2BForce%2BGIF-downsized_large%2B%25281%2529.gif

Reactions: Lucy and mcannon1
Good post Superfly.....Holly definitely stayed too long, and her lack of interest in offense was a program destroyer....She never saw her limitations....Still paying for it.
Magnum%2BForce%2BGIF-downsized_large%2B%25281%2529.gif

A Man's got to know his limitations...
is the my most quoted quote of all time

"You've got to know what you can do and what you can't do...You've got to do what you can do and work to do the things you can't do"

Reactions: GameTime

VN Store

Back