Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Frankly, I would say there is a significant drop off from the top 2. I think it's time to admit Tennessee is closer to "the rest" than they are to SC and LSU, which is about to become very clear...
My gripe with LSU, is while I do think they are very good, they still remain very untested overall but they are blowing the breaks off pretty much everyone minus the one game vs Arkansas (who they beat by 24 earlier in the year on the road). Mike Neighbors actually has historically had Mulkey's number and given her team lots of problems. Heck they got blown out last year vs them and I believe he beat her Baylor team with Smith, Egbo and Cooper a few years back. Definitely wasn't expecting the beatdown they gave Alabama on Monday.

While I am not very confident in TN beating LSU in Baton Rouge in front of a sell out crowd and them having a week of rest. The one area we do have a advantage is depth. LSU only goes 8 deep but essentially sticks to 6 or 7 most the time. If one of their stars (Morris, Flaujae or Reese) gets in trouble, that will put them in a hole for a bit.

In order to come out with a win on Monday, we have to take care of the ball. We have to finish the ball at a better clip on our first shot because getting 20+ O boards against them is likely not going to happen.

Reactions: travis929
My gripe with LSU, is while I do think they are very good, they still remain very untested overall but they are blowing the breaks off pretty much everyone minus the one game vs Arkansas (who they beat by 24 earlier in the year on the road).

I think we're deep enough into the conference schedule to see LSU is legit despite their pre-conference schedule. Tennessee has played most of the lower teams in the conference, who have they completely blown off the court the way SC and LSU have? Their biggest margin of victory was 18 over Florida at home...

Reactions: VolBalls33
The only time depth is a factor is (a) bench talent equal to best five opponents; (b) fatigue; (c) injury; (d) foul trouble. Otherwise, depth just means more (or less) of the same.
Yeah I agree. On paper, Tennessee has more bodies based on who actually plays. But beyond Franklin, Puckett and Powell, that’s all they are. They won’t come in and make a difference anymore than LSU’s 9-12 will.

LSU is a legit top 5 team, not sure why anyone thinks otherwise despite their weak schedule. I would bet a pretty penny LSU beats UT by 10 plus. UT is still pretty good and despite 7 losses I still think UT is better than anyone not in the top 18 to 20. Having said that there is definitely a gap from SC/LSU and UT.

Colorado had someone out when UT played them. Not sure of her name as I post this but since she came back they are legit. Maybe even top 15.

Yeah Formann is a huge part of what they do. She isn’t usually their highest scorer but she is their player who puts the most pressure on the opponents defense. She’s great about forcing the issue and creating space in the half court to get her teammates better looks.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
LSU should be #2 when the polls come out Monday. LSU beat Oregon State by 32 earlier this season. Stanford has 2 losses and is struggling to beat unranked and 11 and 8 Oregon State at home.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Stanford favored by 21.5 won by 3. Stanford had 5 total assist(has to be close to program low), 18 FT to OSU 2 FT. No way should Stanford move to #2 beating Oregon State by 3.
The worst part is OSU made four stops in the final minute or so and Stanford just kept getting offensive rebounds to keep the trip alive. OSU looked like they had a clean steal/tying layup with seconds left but it was ruled a foul. Stanford basically escaped on their home court.

My gripe with LSU, is while I do think they are very good, they still remain very untested overall but they are blowing the breaks off pretty much everyone minus the one game vs Arkansas (who they beat by 24 earlier in the year on the road). Mike Neighbors actually has historically had Mulkey's number and given her team lots of problems. Heck they got blown out last year vs them and I believe he beat her Baylor team with Smith, Egbo and Cooper a few years back. Definitely wasn't expecting the beatdown they gave Alabama on Monday.

While I am not very confident in TN beating LSU in Baton Rouge in front of a sell out crowd and them having a week of rest. The one area we do have a advantage is depth. LSU only goes 8 deep but essentially sticks to 6 or 7 most the time. If one of their stars (Morris, Flaujae or Reese) gets in trouble, that will put them in a hole for a bit.

In order to come out with a win on Monday, we have to take care of the ball. We have to finish the ball at a better clip on our first shot because getting 20+ O boards against them is likely not going to happen.
I heard the same analysis before the UConn game…

The only time depth is a factor is (a) bench talent equal to best five opponents; (b) fatigue; (c) injury; (d) foul trouble. Otherwise, depth just means more (or less) of the same.
It also means practice must be reduced in frequency, duration, and intensity. The condition of the athlete takes priority over installing new packages or making fixes. A team with limited players essentially becomes vanilla.

Some good games coming up in the Big 12 today. Iowa State/OU should be a good matchup, Texas Tech/Baylor will be good and OSU/Texas should also be a fun one!

Big 12 is a little like the SEC. Lots of teams in the middle beating each other up.

Reactions: travis929
ACC Women's Basketball Scoreboard | ESPN

Big 12 Women's Basketball Scoreboard | ESPN

Big Ten Women's Basketball Scoreboard | ESPN

SEC Women's Basketball Scoreboard | ESPN

A lot of great games today. Plan on watch several. In the SEC SC is at Bama should be a big win for SC, Texas A&M at Vandy is interesting will Vandy get their first SEC win looks like a tossup will go with Vandy, Miss St at Georgia another tossup go with the home team, Missouri at Kentucky will take Missouri although another one that could go either way. Ole Miss is at Arkansas and I want Arkansas to win love to keep separating the top three from the rest of the league. Rebounding will be the key factor for Arkansas to win it.

ACC Women's Basketball Scoreboard | ESPN

Big 12 Women's Basketball Scoreboard | ESPN

Big Ten Women's Basketball Scoreboard | ESPN

SEC Women's Basketball Scoreboard | ESPN

A lot of great games today. Plan on watch several. In the SEC SC is at Bama should be a big win for SC, Texas A&M at Vandy is interesting will Vandy get their first SEC win looks like a tossup will go with Vandy, Miss St at Georgia another tossup go with the home team, Missouri at Kentucky will take Missouri although another one that could go either way. Ole Miss is at Arkansas and I want Arkansas to win love to keep separating the top three from the rest of the league. Rebounding will be the key factor for Arkansas to win it.

Rooting for SC, Georgia and Arkansas today. Another loss for Bama, MSST and Ole Miss would pretty much guarantee us a double bye in the sec tourney which is worth its weight in gold. Unless the wheels come completely off on our season that puts us in good position.

Guess I will start off watching Louisville at Syracuse game it is an 11 am cst start and should be interesting. I think Syracuse will give Louisville a tough battle today expect a close game.

Rooting for SC, Georgia and Arkansas today. Another loss for Bama, MSST and Ole Miss would pretty much guarantee us a double bye in the sec tourney which is worth its weight in gold. Unless the wheels come completely off on our season that puts us in good position.
We can give Ole Miss a loss, they have to play SC, they have to play LSU so if they lost today that is a potential 6 losses. Arkansas already has four and we could get them to five really don't have that tough of a schedule after today except us so I want be to upset if they lose today since Ole Miss has a lot tougher schedule even with two losses. Not to worried about SC pummeling Bama. Georgia is 3 and 5 and Miss St is 4 and 4 so going to hurt one of them either way. We've got Vandy at home, Auburn at home. Ole Miss at home a big game for us, Kentucky and Miss St on the road are the games we should be good for which gets us to 13 SEC wins regardless of the other which are Arkansas at their place, SC at home and LSU. If we beat LSU that SC game could be for the SEC title.

VN Store

Back