Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2022-2023

creekdipper

Might as well include Bueckers if we're just picking a list of best talent. Suit her up and have her in-bound a ball to qualify as having played.

Seriously, the list is overly-long. Barring some miraculous leap, it's hard to imagine some of these players even reaching a level to bypass their more impactful teammate on the list. It seems that some are included just as a matter of recognition since no probably none of the voters actually regard them as serious possibilities to win the award.

I was chosen to be on an all-region tournament award selection committee once. We were given guidelines to follow with number of players from each team apportioned according to the team's final standing...irrespective of actual performance on the court. Winner got so many picks; runner-up next most, etc. So some players on the higher-placed teams were included although they didn't contribute nearly as much or play as well as players from weaker teams. In at least one case, a star player in the regular season who had a lousy tournament got included anyway just due to past achievements. I dissented and voted for the best players in my opinion.

I wasn't asked to serve on any further selection committees.

Amb3096

If I’m not mistaken, you can play your way onto and off the list right?
You can play your way onto the list. Also, the list will eventually be pared down to 10, which will represent the All American Team (replaces Kodak and then WBCA team).

Right now, I think it's a given that the following players will be on it:
1. Aliyah Boston
2. Caitlin Clark
3. Haley Jones
4. Cameron Brink
5. Zia Cooke
6. Elizabeth Kitley
7. Angel Reese

Deep pool for the last three spots. I think Aliyah Edwards, Mackenzie Holmes, Taylor Mikesell, Olivia Miles and Maddy Siegrist are the front runners. Not sure I see anyone new breaking the list when they pare it down to the top 15.

chuckiepoo

Might as well include Bueckers if we're just picking a list of best talent. Suit her up and have her in-bound a ball to qualify as having played.

Seriously, the list is overly-long. Barring some miraculous leap, it's hard to imagine some of these players even reaching a level to bypass their more impactful teammate on the list. It seems that some are included just as a matter of recognition since no probably none of the voters actually regard them as serious possibilities to win the award.

I was chosen to be on an all-region tournament award selection committee once. We were given guidelines to follow with number of players from each team apportioned according to the team's final standing...irrespective of actual performance on the court. Winner got so many picks; runner-up next most, etc. So some players on the higher-placed teams were included although they didn't contribute nearly as much or play as well as players from weaker teams. In at least one case, a star player in the regular season who had a lousy tournament got included anyway just due to past achievements. I dissented and voted for the best players in my opinion.

I wasn't asked to serve on any further selection committees.
Participation awards? Good for you! The award did originate in SoCal…

You can play your way onto the list. Also, the list will eventually be pared down to 10, which will represent the All American Team (replaces Kodak and then WBCA team).

Right now, I think it's a given that the following players will be on it:
1. Aliyah Boston
2. Caitlin Clark
3. Haley Jones
4. Cameron Brink
5. Zia Cooke
6. Elizabeth Kitley
7. Angel Reese

Deep pool for the last three spots. I think Aliyah Edwards, Mackenzie Holmes, Taylor Mikesell, Olivia Miles and Maddy Siegrist are the front runners. Not sure I see anyone new breaking the list when they pare it down to the top 15.
Those 7 are likely spot on, and I think it's going to be tough to leave off Seigrist. The other four are likely the top candidates for the last two spots.

Amb3096

Those 7 are likely spot on, and I think it's going to be tough to leave off Seigrist. The other four are likely the top candidates for the last two spots.
I'd be inclined to say that Aliyah Edwards is a lock for the top 10. If OSU wins the series vs IU, I'd guess that Mikesell would get the nod over Holmes (don't think that both will make it; B10 isn't getting 3 players on the list). That leaves Miles or Siegrist. If ND wins the ACC, then I'd say Miles gets the last spot.

CannonVol80

Amb, I believe Fudd (and Ducharme) has played too many games for the red shirt….for some reason I think the most that can be played is 5. Of course a player can always apply for a medical redshirt.
The NCAA rule regarding hardship waivers is that a player in team sports may not have participated in more than 3 or 30% of the season contests, whichever is greater, and the injury must have occurred in the first half of the season. Ordinarily, playing in even one game after the mid point of the season will prevent a hardship waiver. The real issue for Fudd is the question of whether the NCAA would consider her injury as having occurred before the start of the second half of the season and the final incapacitation occurred after the midpoint of the season. It is, at least, arguable that her incapacitating injury occurred during the first half of the season, but I don't think this argument has succeeded previously.

Jim

VolBall09

I notice Dearica Hamby deleted her post on IG “calling out” the Las Vegas Aces. Guessing the attorneys had a little chat with her.

As I said the other day, lots to unpack there, and I’m almost certain Las Vegas would have their Is dotted and Ts crossed before wading into that. Hamby may not like the outcome here but I have a hard time believing anything untoward happened.

Kinda tired of players taking crap like this to social media when they don’t get their way or it doesn’t go how they “think” it should go. Similar to the Dre Edwards crap trying to drag Kyra through the mud and threaten her on social media because they didn’t get their way.

If she’s due in late March/early April she will miss time or at the very least she will be nowhere near 100%. Don’t care how active she stays during her pregnancy.

I notice Dearica Hamby deleted her post on IG “calling out” the Las Vegas Aces. Guessing the attorneys had a little chat with her.

As I said the other day, lots to unpack there, and I’m almost certain Las Vegas would have their Is dotted and Ts crossed before wading into that. Hamby may not like the outcome here but I have a hard time believing anything untoward happened.

Kinda tired of players taking crap like this to social media when they don’t get their way or it doesn’t go how they “think” it should go. Similar to the Dre Edwards crap trying to drag Kyra through the mud and threaten her on social media because they didn’t get their way.

If she’s due in late March/early April she will miss time or at the very least she will be nowhere near 100%. Don’t care how active she stays during her pregnancy.
Completely different situations and no comparison. 100% this goes Hamby's way no matter what even if she misses the entire season.

VN Store