Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2022-2023

Darth_Vol

I wouldn’t call 50k for 3 to 4 months a sacrifice. It’s the same for all new sports. It has to build over time. Pro players in all sports used to have to work in the off season. It takes time.
Uh no. Being a part of that 96 Olympic team was a 14 month commitment which included 52 exhibition games before the Olympics all over the country and the world. The WNBA didn't even exist yet, but came to fruition because of that team...

Orange Maniac

Appalachian American
Uh no. Being a part of that 96 Olympic team was a 14 month commitment which included 52 exhibition games before the Olympics all over the country and the world. The WNBA didn't even exist yet, but came to fruition because of that team...
My mistake then. I thought the discussion was about the beginning of the WNBA.

Aladywhovolunteer

I respect the committment these ladies made to women's basketball. But let's not get carried away. The present value of $50,000 in 1996 is over $93,000.00 in 2022 dollars. This is above and beyond room and board (which I assume) is provided by the U.S. Olynpics committee. Of course... no one got rich. But it wasn't free labor either. The 52 game schedule over 14 months sounds like Sunday on the farm... to be honest.

Last edited:

Darth_Vol

I respect the committment these ladies made to women's basketball. But let's not get carried away. The present value of $50,000 in 1996 is over $93,000.00 in 2022 dollars. This is above and beyond room and board (which I assume) is provided by the U.S. Olynpics committee. Of course... no one got rich. But it wasn't free labor either. The 52 game schedule over 14 months sounds like Sunday on the farm... to be honest.
To be honest, I would suggest actually watching the documentary before opining on their "Sunday on the farm"...

FrozenLVFan

"Time for Nine"
To be honest, I would suggest actually watching the documentary before opining on their "Sunday on the farm"...
Another good source of information is a book called "Venus to the Hoop." It was written by a reporter (Sara Corbett) who was with the team from the tryouts through the year of traveling and exhibition games up to the Gold Medal game. It covers more of the personal side of the team and also brings up the start of the ABL.

stlvolsfan

The sacrifice was they turned down much bigger salaries in Europe and Asia to do this. Katrina McClain said she was giving up 3-400k. If you respect their commitment, why are you trying to diminish it?

Darth_Vol

Another good source of information is a book called "Venus to the Hoop." It was written by a reporter (Sara Corbett) who was with the team from the tryouts through the year of traveling and exhibition games up to the Gold Medal game. It covers more of the personal side of the team and also brings up the start of the ABL.
It has been many years since I read it but I do remember it was a great book. Corbett also provides insight in the documentary...

lvocd

Did anyone hear Cunningham yell "F" Tina Charles after they won their game. She better pray Tina won't catch in the post. I knew she's bad not this rude
Sadly, Sophie Cunningham was likely raised by her parents to behave as she does. When she was at Mizzou, there were multiple reports of how her parents would behave badly at games, often encouraging Sophie to go too far, physically, to come out on top. Their No.1 priority was to win, and if it took going outside acceptable sportsmanlike behavior to win, that was okay.

So ... no, if she actually said that I would not be one bit surprised. Sophie Cunningham's parents are trash.

sisaq

Sadly, Sophie Cunningham was likely raised by her parents to behave as she does. When she was at Mizzou, there were multiple reports of how her parents would behave badly at games, often encouraging Sophie to go too far, physically, to come out on top. Their No.1 priority was to win, and if it took going outside acceptable sportsmanlike behavior to win, that was okay.

So ... no, if she actually said that I would not be one bit surprised. Sophie Cunningham's parents are trash.
She did, it's on Twitter..And someone commented that she was letting her frustration out..I'm like really. Any player got the right to leave, do watever

sisaq

Attachments

VA_VOLFAN

I believe this is a good thing for us …. Aaliyah Del Rosario has been rumored a lean towards Arizona ? This top ten Center verbal should have Rosario thinking maybe Tennessee? 🙏
I didn't know she was an Az lean. I do know she is visiting us so maybe we will find out soon if TN is one of her top choices or THE top choice. I believe Del Rosario also visited SC and had a good time.

Last edited:

VolBall09

Interesting that Nikki went from HC to assistant and Coquese went from assistant to HC. Maybe that will pay off? Wishing both the best. Looks like Rutgers will finally get an offense.
Best of luck to them. I think this reflects poorly on Nikki. Hard to say what the real issue at MSST was. At this point it just looks like she did a poor job, stirred up a bunch of crap, then left them in a lurch.

I would not have been jumping up and down to hire her.

VN Store