Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2022-2023

Darth_Vol

I wouldn’t call 50k for 3 to 4 months a sacrifice. It’s the same for all new sports. It has to build over time. Pro players in all sports used to have to work in the off season. It takes time.
Uh no. Being a part of that 96 Olympic team was a 14 month commitment which included 52 exhibition games before the Olympics all over the country and the world. The WNBA didn't even exist yet, but came to fruition because of that team...

Orange Maniac

Appalachian American
Uh no. Being a part of that 96 Olympic team was a 14 month commitment which included 52 exhibition games before the Olympics all over the country and the world. The WNBA didn't even exist yet, but came to fruition because of that team...
My mistake then. I thought the discussion was about the beginning of the WNBA.

Aladywhovolunteer

I respect the committment these ladies made to women's basketball. But let's not get carried away. The present value of $50,000 in 1996 is over $93,000.00 in 2022 dollars. This is above and beyond room and board (which I assume) is provided by the U.S. Olynpics committee. Of course... no one got rich. But it wasn't free labor either. The 52 game schedule over 14 months sounds like Sunday on the farm... to be honest.

Last edited:

Darth_Vol

I respect the committment these ladies made to women's basketball. But let's not get carried away. The present value of $50,000 in 1996 is over $93,000.00 in 2022 dollars. This is above and beyond room and board (which I assume) is provided by the U.S. Olynpics committee. Of course... no one got rich. But it wasn't free labor either. The 52 game schedule over 14 months sounds like Sunday on the farm... to be honest.
To be honest, I would suggest actually watching the documentary before opining on their "Sunday on the farm"...

FrozenLVFan

"Time for Nine"
To be honest, I would suggest actually watching the documentary before opining on their "Sunday on the farm"...
Another good source of information is a book called "Venus to the Hoop." It was written by a reporter (Sara Corbett) who was with the team from the tryouts through the year of traveling and exhibition games up to the Gold Medal game. It covers more of the personal side of the team and also brings up the start of the ABL.

stlvolsfan

The sacrifice was they turned down much bigger salaries in Europe and Asia to do this. Katrina McClain said she was giving up 3-400k. If you respect their commitment, why are you trying to diminish it?

Darth_Vol

Another good source of information is a book called "Venus to the Hoop." It was written by a reporter (Sara Corbett) who was with the team from the tryouts through the year of traveling and exhibition games up to the Gold Medal game. It covers more of the personal side of the team and also brings up the start of the ABL.
It has been many years since I read it but I do remember it was a great book. Corbett also provides insight in the documentary...

VN Store