Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Both, I suppose. UConn is fielding a team with 2 #1 players and a bunch of other 5-stars and Tennessee wants to solidify their standing as a NCAAT #1 seed. Barring further injuries, this should be a fair fight...probably tilted in favor of Tennessee if you consider the impact of Paige's absence vs. Keyen's.
Not sure how fair, conn‘s team are higher rated players throughout, and will basically be playing a home game. We’re a more proven team playing in a hostile environment.

Not sure how fair, conn‘s team are higher rated players throughout, and will basically be playing a home game. We’re a more proven team playing in a hostile environment.
The XL center is not a very hostile crowd. It won't be friendly but it's not like playing on campus. The coaches and players hate it (men's and women's teams).

interesting stat that i personally have trouble with as someone who wonders how assists are consistently applied. 29 assists for 34 baskets, one player having 17 team was Iowa in nearly 30 point win over Penn State. I assume the player first receiving the inbound pass and drives for a layup the person inballing would receive the assist stat. (smile)

interesting stat that i personally have trouble with as someone who wonders how assists are consistently applied. 29 assists for 34 baskets, one player having 17 team was Iowa in nearly 30 point win over Penn State. I assume the player first receiving the inbound pass and drives for a layup the person inballing would receive the assist stat. (smile)

An assist is awarded if a player makes a pass to another player who makes no added moves (other than something like a head fake) to score a basket. Player A passes to Player B who is cutting to the basket player B Scores, A gets an assist. Player A passes to player B who is motion, player B with 1 or no dribbles scores, Player A is awarded an assist. There is a lot of grey area in getting an assist or not.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Several former Lady Vols in action yesterday with the debut of the new Athletes Unlimited league.

Mercedes Russell led "Team Russell" to victory with 10 points, 11 boards, 2 assists, and 2 steals.

Isabelle Harrison led "Team Carrington" to victory with 21 points, along with 4 rebounds, 3 steals, and 2 blocks. Meme Jackson was on Izzy's team and scored 14 points, including 4-6 on 3's.

The Great Guru and world's most respected psychologist whose specialty is the mind of the daddy-pleasing girl basketball player, is just doing some therapy with Evina.

Mark my words: Westbrook will miraculously win back her starting spot in time for the Tennessee game. The Great Guru has a plan!!!

She was injured and did not have a senior season. I think Blue Star had her at 34. Hoopgurlz is the only service that did not have her in the top 100
That's kind of my point. These rating services show up to certain events that feature certain teams in certain leagues. In no service should she have been unranked -- even without a senior season. Especially in a year where some states barely had a season, but their players weren't impacted.

I know injuries can impact how services look at athletes. Looking at Ducharme, for example, she was ranked 41 after a host of injuries and I would argue that if she wasn't playing for Exodus on the EYBL circuit and signed with a mid-major or lower P5 team, her rankings wouldn't have recovered.

Ayoka Lee was an 89 according to Hoopgurlz. She played her summer ball with an AAU club called Minnesota Nice. I'd imagine if she was playing with Metro Stars (an Adidas program), North Tartan (EYBL), or Minnesota Fury (UAA), she would have been an entirely different ranking and recruiting circle.

Does that make Morrow, Ducharme, or Lee different players? Nope. But the more emphasis that is placed on the elite summer circuits, the more we're going to see examples like Morrow and Lee seemingly coming out of nowhere (think Lee as a freshman -- now we all know how good she is) and proving themselves as elite players. And that, IMO, is a huge flaw in the system.

That's kind of my point. These rating services show up to certain events that feature certain teams in certain leagues. In no service should she have been unranked -- even without a senior season. Especially in a year where some states barely had a season, but their players weren't impacted.

I know injuries can impact how services look at athletes. Looking at Ducharme, for example, she was ranked 41 after a host of injuries and I would argue that if she wasn't playing for Exodus on the EYBL circuit and signed with a mid-major or lower P5 team, her rankings wouldn't have recovered.

Ayoka Lee was an 89 according to Hoopgurlz. She played her summer ball with an AAU club called Minnesota Nice. I'd imagine if she was playing with Metro Stars (an Adidas program), North Tartan (EYBL), or Minnesota Fury (UAA), she would have been an entirely different ranking and recruiting circle.

Does that make Morrow, Ducharme, or Lee different players? Nope. But the more emphasis that is placed on the elite summer circuits, the more we're going to see examples like Morrow and Lee seemingly coming out of nowhere (think Lee as a freshman -- now we all know how good she is) and proving themselves as elite players. And that, IMO, is a huge flaw in the system.
What are these services anyway? It's a dude with a notebook who attends some games. It's not like the recruiting services are staffed with the same resources dedicated to boys' basketball. It is literally one-man's opinion, and it far from law. If everyone is saying the same handful of players are the best in their class, it's safe to say that they will probably be very good college players. It's not to say that the ones not on their "watchlists" aren't good. There's only so much that the one dude with a notebook can cover...

What are these services anyway? It's a dude with a notebook who attends some games. It's not like the recruiting services are staffed with the same resources dedicated to boys' basketball. It is literally one-man's opinion, and it far from law. If everyone is saying the same handful of players are the best in their class, it's safe to say that they will probably be very good college players. It's not to say that the ones not on their "watchlists" aren't good. There's only so much that the one dude with a notebook can cover...

Also, there are always going to be players for whom the lightbulb suddenly comes on for them, but only AFTER all the services have already seen them and said, "Meh." There's no way for any of those guys to know for sure which budding kids might suddenly burst wide open into star players.

Reactions: Lucy
Exactly how do you otherwise understand the discrepancy of Ashley Shade being ranked 3 by Prospect Nation, 5 by Hoopgurlz and 53 by Blue Star. I guess you can say Blue Star is the outlier but that guy goes to more tournaments than anyone.

Exactly how do you otherwise understand the discrepancy of Ashley Shade being ranked 3 by Prospect Nation, 5 by Hoopgurlz and 53 by Blue Star. I guess you can say Blue Star is the outlier but that guy goes to more tournaments than anyone. Key ranked 47th in her class and there aren't 47 better players in that class today. Just two examples could come up with 100 hard to understand how Morrow was totally missed just shows how deep the talent is getting all over the country.

Exactly how do you otherwise understand the discrepancy of Ashley Shade being ranked 3 by Prospect Nation, 5 by Hoopgurlz and 53 by Blue Star. I guess you can say Blue Star is the outlier but that guy goes to more tournaments than anyone. Key ranked 47th in her class and there aren't 47 better players in that class today. Just two examples could come up with 100 hard to understand how Morrow was totally missed just shows how deep the talent is getting all over the country.
I don't think she was totally missed as to it being the position she plays for her size. The last 6'1" 5 player we witness that showed she was a force was maybe Danielle Adams. She had to go the juco route (that may have also had to do with her weight) because many wasn't entertaining her playing that position at her size. Also because the 5 spot is not a flashy position when people scout tournaments, its harder for the post player to stand out if they aren't at least 6'3" and dominant on both ends of the floor. Which is why you often see the rankings filled with Guards and Wings in the Top 25 and your occasional Post.

The Great Guru and world's most respected psychologist whose specialty is the mind of the daddy-pleasing girl basketball player, is just doing some therapy with Evina.

Mark my words: Westbrook will miraculously win back her starting spot in time for the Tennessee game. The Great Guru has a plan!!!

Evina is essentially the backup point right now. She won't start if Nika is available.

Also, there are always going to be players for whom the lightbulb suddenly comes on for them, but only AFTER all the services have already seen them and said, "Meh." There's no way for any of those guys to know for sure which budding kids might suddenly burst wide open into star players.

The recruiters, not only have the athletes they see, but the coaches they know...they know which coaches have proven to be right and they know if they can take them at their word.

So, no it's not always about what the recruiting service rep see,,,sometimes its about who their sources say is going to be great. I have a contact in each of those three forums...I send them video links to my girls. I have two that will be top 100 recruits for 2026
Natalya Hodge:

Natavia Alber

Its my job to put them in front of the recruiters,,,their job to rate them

VN Store

Back