Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

@lvocd I think that people aren't giving enough credit also to just how good Oregon is. This was a team that was a preseason top 10 team that was decimated with injuries until just the last 3-4 games. Without Williams, I'd say that Oregon was probably more talented and deeper than UConn. Paopao would be still be the best player on the court, even if Williams was there.

Of the UConn players, it is clear that Ducharme will be a problem for the next several years. Her, Paige and Fudd (if she's as good as advertised) will really cause defenses to spread out and will make for a lot of easy, open looks for their posts.

Play of the game was Edwards with the steal and layup that was waived off due to the 6-steps she took on her way to the hoop. Pretty much summed up UConn's night lol.
I agree that Oregon is much better than their ranking. The problem is that Oregon didn't get the benefit of the doubt because of injuries. They lost and dropped out of the top 25, whereas Conn is still there. One team has been judged on its record and the other on its potential. Shocking.

@lvocd I think that people aren't giving enough credit also to just how good Oregon is. This was a team that was a preseason top 10 team that was decimated with injuries until just the last 3-4 games. Without Williams, I'd say that Oregon was probably more talented and deeper than UConn. Paopao would be still be the best player on the court, even if Williams was there.

Of the UConn players, it is clear that Ducharme will be a problem for the next several years. Her, Paige and Fudd (if she's as good as advertised) will really cause defenses to spread out and will make for a lot of easy, open looks for their posts.

Play of the game was Edwards with the steal and layup that was waived off due to the 6-steps she took on her way to the hoop. Pretty much summed up UConn's night lol.

I agree.

And I remember that Edwards play. I also remember seeing her take an extra step (unnoticed by officials) later in the game. That may be a bad habit she has developed.

Paopao and Prince and Sabally are really, really good. Prince is so unbelievably mobile/agile for her size that she is going to be a matchup problem for any opponent. She has a hard-nosed, "cornfed" quality to her that I know Pat Summitt would have loved. You can tell she's an all basketball, all the time kinda woman.

Yep, Oregon is a team NOBODY will want in their bracket come Tourney time. So, of course, Tennessee will definitely be in their bracket, probably along with NCSt, LSU, Iowa, Indiana ....

Lol

Yes, can you imagine being a 3 seed and having to play the 6 seed UCONN with their players back just to make it to the Sweet 16. As much as people around here want them to fall as low as possible while their players are out, I don't think it would be fair to other teams if a reloaded UCONN team's seeding is based solely on how they were when they were depleted.

What is even worse they might be a 4 seed and the number one seed will have to face them in Bridgeport in the sweet 16. Because of money, I don't think the committee will ship them off to a neutral location.

I agree that Oregon is much better than their ranking. The problem is that Oregon didn't get the benefit of the doubt because of injuries. They lost and dropped out of the top 25, whereas Conn is still there. One team has been judged on its record and the other on its potential. Shocking.

I don't think that the ranking slide for either team had anything to do with potential, other than UConn had more of a buffer as the preseason #2 team. Oregon's fall from #9 to unranked wasn't exactly harsh. They dropped about 10 spots after the losses to SC and USF, then out of the rankings after the loss to UCD. The loss to KSU sent them down even further. They should be ranked in the coaches poll after wins against 2 top 10 teams. That is a real head scratcher though.

UConn at #9 is right around where you would expect them to be with losses to #1 SC, #3 Louisville and #18 GT. They went as low as #11 or #12 as I recall after the Louisville loss, and have climbed up as teams ahead of them have lost. I don't think this is a particularly forgiving fall from #2 given the losses. However, dropping only 1 spot after the loss to unranked Oregon is a different story...

What is even worse they might be a 4 seed and the number one seed will have to face them in Bridgeport in the sweet 16. Because of money, I don't think the committee will ship them off to a neutral location.

Yeah, that's ridiculous. They need to trust that their product is good enough to sell without turning the region into essentially a home game for one of the teams. It's almost like you don't want to be in Bridgeport, Lexington or Greensboro in years when UConn, Louisville or SC are having down-years.

Reactions: xtpsrh08123
Yeah, great to see us at #4, but how is UNC still at #7 and UConn actually moved UP after losing bad to Oregon. Just ridiculous.
I couldn't care less about Massey's rating, since it's just a computer program. How UConn only slipped 1 spot in the coaches poll after being taken to the woodshed by Oregon is of greater curiosity to me...

I think a #2 seed is a strong possibility. I think they will finish with 2 regular season conference losses (SC and either UGA/LSU) and runner up in the SEC tourney (to SC). If they take care of business, and they've been doing it to date, I don't see how they aren't a #2 seed. Win the games I mentioned above, and yes, a #1 is in play. I can't think of the last time they were a #1 or in contention. Maybe Simmon's senior year? I just don't think that SC is a good matchup for them. They both have the same strengths, but I think SC will be more comfortable executing.

The must-win game IMO is vs. UConn. I'm assuming Fudd will be back, but not Bueckers. Tennessee needs to take them out.

If Tennesse only have losses to Stanford and SC, I think they still might get a 1 seed with a deep run in the SEC tournament.

If Tennesse only have losses to Stanford and SC, I think they still might get a 1 seed with a deep run in the SEC tournament.
I think that since the ACC and SEC will have 2 teams in contention for a #1 seed (barring weird upsets), then the team that forces a split of the conference regular season and tournament will get rewarded with the 2nd #1 seed for their conference. So if SC wins the regular season tournament but Tennessee wins their tournament, then both will get #1 seeds. If both ACC and SEC have split champions, they'll give it to whichever conference is stronger.

Youre delusuinal. It was a great game, Oregon clearky was the stronger team with 12 available healthy players. I dont wish CT's injury/covid fate on ANY team, but you sure seem to wallow in others misfortune. I sure as hell hope you, your family or your team doesn't get but by this bug.
Go cry on the Boneyard. You’ll get no sympathy here.

But Creme is determined to give NC State and Lousiville a #1 seed so i feel no matter what we do were locked in at 2 ...Although LV and NC state play head to head they will give them to nod over us regardless the loser.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
But Creme is determined to give NC State and Lousiville a #1 seed so i feel no matter what we do were locked in at 2 ...Although LV and NC state play head to head they will give them to nod over us regardless the loser.
Who cares what Creme thinks? He's just guessing like the rest of us.

VN Store

Back