Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

If we'd like to get into the semantics, they technically were the consensus number one at the end of the season. The bigger issue in my head is that they claim to be the unanimous number one.

In the final AP poll, SC got 26 votes and Oregon got 4.
In the coaches' poll, it was 26 for SC and 6 for Oregon.

Those 10 Oregon voters make their unanimous claim null and void.

I feel like someone who gets paid a lot more money than me should have caught that before it went to the banner maker, but what do I really know?

View attachment 369973
I mentioned earlier that the "unanimous" was the only problem I had with the banner.

Reactions: Argonaut
He has to keep his name in the news somehow...

His favorite trick is to refuse to give input when they are making decisions like this. But then complain in the media after it’s been done. For all the power he wields in the WBB world he has done very little good with it.

He’ll never be a Pat Summitt. That is for certain. Never.

Last edited:
Geno criticized NCAA and transfer portal. True, but it fervored him. He got Evina and 6'5 girl..He should've rejected them.

But is he completely wrong? There are over 1000 players in the portal right now (I read somewhere that about 300 of them are looking for a fifth year somewhere because of the COVID exception), so he has a point that there is something going on in the culture of WCBB (and you could argue college sports as a whole) that brought us to this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: brassie and sisaq
His favorite trick is to refuse to give input when they are making decisions like this. But then complain in the media after it’s been done. For all the power he wields in the WBB world he has done very little good with it.

He’ll never be a Pat Summitt. That is for certain. Never.

Lady Vol fans have plenty of reasons to hate on Geno, but blaming him for the new transfer rules is a pretty big reach...

Ole Mess women’s golf playing in NCAA finals right now. Leading in 3 of 5 matches but it is early.
Individual champion is a kid out of Memphis playing for Stanford.
Hope UT firing the coach means we are going to put an emphasis on this. We should be competitive in golf.

But is he completely wrong? There are over 1000 players in the portal right now (I read somewhere that about 300 of them are looking for a fifth year somewhere because of the COVID exception), so he has a point that there is something going on in the culture of WCBB (and you could argue college sports as a whole) that brought us to this point.

We know he has a point but u can't say u don't eat meat yet u use ur "teeth to separate the meat from the bone". Pat never condemn something and in a way accept it. It's like double standard.

Reactions: mlindsay
We know he has a point but u can't say u don't eat meat yet u use ur "teeth to separate the meat from the bone". Pat never condemn something and in a way accept it. It's like double standard.

He said later that there are perfectly valid reasons for transfer, and he agrees that there should be the one time transfer exception, but the problem is with having so many kids in the portal and many of them not having a place to go. So they throw away a scholarship because, a lot of times, there are people in their ear telling them they can do better than their current situation.

He said later that there are perfectly valid reasons for transfer, and he agrees that there should be the one time transfer exception, but the problem is with having so many kids in the portal and many of them not having a place to go. So they throw away a scholarship because, a lot of times, there are people in their ear telling them they can do better than their current situation.
That’s the biggest fear. When the music stops do these kids have a chair?

That’s the biggest fear. When the music stops do these kids have a chair?
Some of them are probably a bit out of touch with reality, They will either go crawling back to their old school or be like that person in the draft room who's still there when they shut off the lights.

When the music's over, turn out the lights....

Reactions: volnationnj
What about the players that are in the portal because their head coach released them from their scholarship or didn't rewew their scholarship for arbitrary reasons like recruiting over them, the players didn't fit their style of play, the players were holdovers from the previous coaching regime, etc. I guess called passive-aggressivy called out at least 3 ACC head coaches right there. There's not enough criticism being made at the head coaches for the transfer portal.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
What about the players that are in the portal because their head coach released them from their scholarship or didn't rewew their scholarship for arbitrary reasons like recruiting over them, the players didn't fit their style of play, the players were holdovers from the previous coaching regime, etc. I guess called passive-aggressivy called out at least 3 ACC head coaches right there. There's not enough criticism being made at the head coaches for the transfer portal.
If a player performed at the level the coach wanted, then they wouldn't get recruited over. No one is entitled to be on the team. That's part of the coach's job in deciding how to make the team the strongest.

If Tennessee had a full roster and Azzi Fudd wanted to be a LV, Kellie would make room for her...even if that meant she'd have to give bad news to someone.

If a player performed at the level the coach wanted, then they wouldn't get recruited over. No one is entitled to be on the team. That's part of the coach's job in deciding how to make the team the strongest.

If Tennessee had a full roster and Azzi Fudd wanted to be a LV, Kellie would make room for her...even if that meant she'd have to give bad news to someone.
That door should swing both ways. A player should be able to leave for what they preceived to be greener pastures. The days of the majority of programs keeping four recruiting classes of players at 95% retention rate in a four period are over.

VN Store

Back