Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

I hope the LV's will never stoop that low and hang a banner stating they were ranked #1 at some point during a season. I think LSU with Mulkey will not need to hang banners like that again.
Why do we try so hard to discredit or shame other programs and claim moral superiority?
Lets clean our kitchen first and concentrate on becoming a tip tier program again.

For fans who watch the WNBA, I’m curious which college teams run systems that would make the transition less difficult?

I watch the WNBA often, and also attend a lot of Connecticut Sun games. I am hesitant to use UConn as an example, but I will because WNBA general managers say UConn players come into the league ready to compete. UConn is big on fundamentals, defense, and sharing the ball. If you aren't a 50% 3 pt shooter, the league needs players that can play multiple positions. The Bigs at UConn learn from the paint out, so when they reach their senior year hopefully they can play the 5,4, and 3. There are many teams that play this way, but teams that rely on one or two players will not make it in the league. Some players are not Basketball smart, and the pro game requires their players to have a very good basketball IQ. Some college coaches just put the best players on the floor to win, but do not really teach the game. If they can't physically play all positions, they at least have to know how to play those positions. Unfortunately, there are many great college players that can't make it in the league. There are not enough teams, so the better their attitude and all-around game is, the better chance they have to make it.

I watch the WNBA often, and also attend a lot of Connecticut Sun games. I am hesitant to use UConn as an example, but I will because WNBA general managers say UConn players come into the league ready to compete. UConn is big on fundamentals, defense, and sharing the ball. If you aren't a 50% 3 pt shooter, the league needs players that can play multiple positions. The Bigs at UConn learn from the paint out, so when they reach their senior year hopefully they can play the 5,4, and 3. There are many teams that play this way, but teams that rely on one or two players will not make it in the league. Some players are not Basketball smart, and the pro game requires their players to have a very good basketball IQ. Some college coaches just put the best players on the floor to win, but do not really teach the game. If they can't physically play all positions, they at least have to know how to play those positions. Unfortunately, there are many great college players that can't make it in the league. There are not enough teams, so the better their attitude and all-around game is, the better chance they have to make it.
Can u tell me what happened with: Megan Walker, Evina Westbrook, Morgan Tuck, Saniya Chong, and Kml to name a few, how have they done in the WNBA?

Last edited:
Miami of Ohio women’s basketball coach steps down amid Inappropriate Relationship With A Player: report

Miami of Ohio women’s basketball coach DeUnna Hendrix stepped down Wednesday. Her decision to resign comes after text messages showed the coach was in an inappropriate relationship with one of her players, according to a report from The Athletic.

Shortly after the university's athletic department reportedly learned about 180 text messages during at 11-day span, Hendrix was suspended for an alleged inappropriate relationship between her and an unnamed player.

At least 30 of the messages contained wording considered "intimate."

Miami of Ohio women’s basketball coach steps down amid inappropriate relationship with a player: report

Last edited:

For fans who watch the WNBA, I’m curious which college teams run systems that would make the transition less difficult?

Kim does not run a WNBA style of offense so from that aspect it can be tricky for her players to make that jump from an offensive standpoint. Her defensive system and style of play is more than fine for that aspect. That said, if you're that talented and good, you'll adjust and eventually make it. Morris was an outstanding college player but probably not WNBA material long term (at this time), and there is nothing wrong with that. Lots of great players don't make it or stay in the WNBA. Very small group of teams with limited roster spots. Its incredibly hard to do it... Morris is also very small so she has to be way better in other areas to makeup for her physical deficits...

For the record, I bet a nice chunk of the players drafted are having that same feeling Morris is having right now. Its a big adjustment.... from style to speed of play. You are now playing with the elite of the elite. You now have to elevate your game even more.

I don't think Alexis is talking about Mulkey's system but in general. I do think you do have some styles of play in college that are more comparable to WNBA, others not so (offense or defense). But regardless its an adjustment for everyone. Like wise, most kids who come into college have to adjust to a new system on offense and defense as well. Alexis and others will have to make that adjustment in camp as well. I hope she takes a deep breath and just continue to work hard, its all you can do.

Can u tell me what happened with: Megan Walker, Evian Westbrook, Morgan Tuck, Saniya Chong, and Kml to name a few, how have they done in the WNBA?

Are you really going to go there and cherry pick a handful of players who did not translate well to the WNBA. I am sure that you are fully aware that most players coming out of college are fortunate to even make a WNBA team, never mind achieve any level of success due to the limited number of available spots on WNBA rosters, and the longevity of those who do manage to make it.

I am going to throw some names out who also were drafted but never made a serious impact in the W. Some played less than two games, I believe all averaged less than two points for their career.

Kristin Clement, Kellie Jolly (Harper), Tye’sha Fluker, Baashara Graves, Kamiko Williams, Ashley Robinson (9 yrs 1.9 pts), Kelley Cain, Jordan Reynolds, Shaquilla Nunn (many more but I only checked 11 names)

KML and Morgan Tuck averaged five points for their careers but Tuck struggled with knee issues starting in college. How about players who exceeded expectations such as Kiah Stokes or Azura Stevens, two who weren’t even starters in college.

it is safe to say that sometimes players skill sets do not translate well to the professional game in the same manner they did in college. However, it’s been highly noted that players coming out of UConn are adequately prepared to play in the WNBA as repeated by many WNBA coaches, and evidenced by their draft selection as well as their WNBA performance.

Making it in the WNBA is a crapshoot, and it doesn't matter when you are drafted. Sure, drafted in the top ten may keep you on the roster until the last cuts, but the draft is about two weeks after the NC game, training camp is about two weeks later, and the actual season starts three weeks after that. Thats not much time to show the new coach what you can do. Still, there is a lot of movement during the season with injuries and so forth, so players are picked up during this time, and some eventually make it on a roster at years end. The kids with enough talent and drive can make it if they hang in there, but with only 12 teams each and every year a new crop of rookies trying out it is just hard for some players to sustain their ambition. They have to have a great attitude to hang in there, and I am deeply surprised about Morris's comments after only one day. I don't think she is questioning her talent, but the talent that is around her competing for a very few spots on this roster. As a Sun fan I think she has a chance as they traded their point guard this off season and have a new coach. She sounds like she is giving up, and right there she is showing that she may not belong. Why she would put that on Tiktok is beyond me as teams follow social media. Good luck to her.

Kristin Clement, Kellie Jolly (Harper), Tye’sha Fluker, Baashara Graves, Kamiko Williams, Ashley Robinson (9 yrs 1.9 pts), Kelley Cain, Jordan Reynolds, Shaquilla Nunn (many more but I only checked 11 names)

I agree with most of the these except Ashley Robinson. Even though she only averaged 1.9 points per game for her career, she still made it in the league for 9 years, played double-digit minutes most seasons, and won a WNBA championship in 2010 with Seattle. She is 43rd in league history in total blocks, 33rd in blocks per game, and 13th in block percentage.

Are you really going to go there and cherry pick a handful of players who did not translate well to the WNBA. I am sure that you are fully aware that most players coming out of college are fortunate to even make a WNBA team, never mind achieve any level of success due to the limited number of available spots on WNBA rosters, and the longevity of those who do manage to make it.

I am going to throw some names out who also were drafted but never made a serious impact in the W. Some played less than two games, I believe all averaged less than two points for their career.

KML and Morgan Tuck averaged five points for their careers but Tuck struggled with knee issues starting in college. How about players who exceeded expectations such as Kiah Stokes or Azura Stevens, two who weren’t even starters in college.

it is safe to say that sometimes players skill sets do not translate well to the professional game in the same manner they did in college. However, it’s been highly noted that players coming out of UConn are adequately prepared to play in the WNBA as repeated by many WNBA coaches, and evidenced by their draft selection as well as their WNBA performance.
The point I’m trying to make is that Geno didn’t make them ready for the wnba it’s the players. If the player is good enough it wouldn’t have mattered what school they went to. I hate to throw out a few names again, but don’t I think Maya Moore,., Diana Tuarasi, Sue Bird to name a few would have still been the same no matter what?

Last edited:
The point I’m trying to make is that islets not Geno that made them ready for the wnba it’s the players. If the player is good enough it wouldn’t have mattered what school they went to. I hate to throw out a few names again, but don’t I think Anaya Moore,., Diana Tuarasi, Sue Bird to name a few would have still been the same no matter what?

Anaya Moore? Diana Tuarasi? What? Is Wish.com selling basketball players now?

All I can picture are Midwinter AI rendered photos of Maya Moore - sorry, Anaya Moore - with eight fingers and an extra leg and a sad “Hoosky” logo on the jersey.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I agree with most of the these except Ashley Robinson. Even though she only averaged 1.9 points per game for her career, she still made it in the league for 9 years, played double-digit minutes most seasons, and won a WNBA championship in 2010 with Seattle. She is 43rd in league history in total blocks, 33rd in blocks per game, and 13th in block percentage.

Thank you. That is why I notated that she played nine years. You will notice that’s the only player I gave any sort of statistical information about. The fact that she lasted nine years shows that she was a valuable member, and I mentioned that to show that I understood that. I randomly chose 11 players, (While excluding some that I knew had success) and nine of the 11 averaged less than two points, most didn’t make a roster, some only lasted a few games. I do not actively follow the W, and therefore with the exception of a few names I was not sure who was successful after college.

The point I’m trying to make is that Geno didn’t make them ready for the wnba it’s the players. If the player is good enough it wouldn’t have mattered what school they went to. I hate to throw out a few names again, but don’t I think Maya Moore,., Diana Tuarasi, Sue Bird to name a few would have still been the same no matter what?
Come on, that is so laughable. Players out of high school are high school stars, not college stars. I really can't believe that you think coaching doesn't matter. College is when they really get to play serious big time basketball, so by your thought, maybe these players would have been successful if say, Holly was their coach. Sorry to use her as an example, but I'm pretty sure you do not know much about other coaches and what they really do. Why don't you sit out in the sun some more and fry the rest of your brain.

Come on, that is so laughable. Players out of high school are high school stars, not college stars. I really can't believe that you think coaching doesn't matter. College is when they really get to play serious big time basketball, so by your thought, maybe these players would have been successful if say, Holly was their coach. Sorry to use her as an example, but I'm pretty sure you do not know much about other coaches and what they really do. Why don't you sit out in the sun some more and fry the rest of your brain.
Yes Candace Parker would have been Candace Parker if Holly coached her in college.

Really? How long have you been so knowledgeable about this exceptional program? It may be true about Candace, but we will never know since she was coached by Pat, a coach that has always made her players better.

🤔 Hmmmmm .... praising Pat, eh? That'll play well with us locals.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Can u tell me what happened with: Megan Walker, Evian Westbrook, Morgan Tuck, Saniya Chong, and Kml to name a few, how have they done in the WNBA?
You mean out of the 54 UConn players drafted into the league? I can tell you that Morgan tuck is assistant general manager for the Connecticut after being medically retired. and KML is currently playing in France. She has spent 6 years in the league and shot 38% from the floor including 34% from 3. Walker left college a year early despite being advised she wasn't ready. She lasted 3 years.

You mean out of the 54 UConn players drafted into the league? I can tell you that Morgan tuck is assistant general manager for the Connecticut after being medically retired. and KML is currently playing in France. She has spent 6 years in the league and shot 38% from the floor including 34% from 3. Walker left college a year early despite being advised she wasn't ready. She lasted 3 years.
So nothing great by being coached by Geno, but whatever I just hope the Lv’s players do well anyway.

Reactions: sisaq
I hope the LV's will never stoop that low and hang a banner stating they were ranked #1 at some point during a season. I think LSU with Mulkey will not need to hang banners like that again.

"Stoop that low" as to hang a banner honoring a 32-1 team that:
1. Had the best record in wbb,
2. Lost only one game to a ranked Indiana early in the season, prior to beating Top Ten teams: Maryland, Baylor, Uconn, Miss St (twice), and the toughest schedule in the country
3. Not ranked #1 "at some point." RANKED No. 1 in the FINAL committee opinion, No. 1 in the FINAL RPI, No.1 in the FINAL Coaches and AP polls after winning The last game of the season (the SEC Tourney.
4. The only season ending Number One team that has EVER not had the opportunity to play in the tourney.

I would agree that I think neither Mulkey nor any other coach will hang a banners like that because. I don't think ANY team will EVER again find itself ranked no 1 at season's end and not have an opportunity to play in the tourney. This was the most unusual happening to ever occur in women's sports. Do we really care what others think of our banner honoring that team? No - (but here I am :rolleyes:;):oops: acting as if I do care). LOL

Reactions: Rooster1
2. Lost only one game to a ranked Indiana early in the season, prior to beating Top Ten teams: Maryland, Baylor, Uconn, Miss St (twice), and the toughest schedule in the country
3. Not ranked #1 "at some point." RANKED No. 1 in the FINAL committee opinion, No. 1 in the FINAL RPI, No.1 in the FINAL Coaches and AP polls after winning The last game of the season (the SEC Tourney.
4. The only season ending Number One team that has EVER not had the opportunity to play in the tourney.

I would agree that I think neither Mulkey nor any other coach will hang a banners like that because. I don't think ANY team will EVER again find itself ranked no 1 at season's end and not have an opportunity to play in the tourney. This was the most unusual happening to ever occur in women's sports. Do we really care what others think of our banner honoring that team? No - (but here I am :rolleyes:;):oops: acting as if I do care). LOL

Acting? Lol

Kudos for the self deprecation there at the end. I was thinking, “Thou doth protest too much, me thinks.”

It seems to me most schools in that position would have hung a similar banner, as a memorial to as successful season as the NCAA would allow. The only exceptions possibly being UT or UConn. Did the men’s team that finished the season ranked number one hang a banner? I doubt it.

VN Store

Back