Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

The Virginia Tech coach would have been a good choice for COY, imo.
Yep, he should have been there as well….great job Kenny. Again though, look at the body of work over the season, and the strength of schedule…kinda like Mulkey, enough to be COY? Over the #1 rated team that had a much tougher schedule? The one that was undefeated? Did VT have any bad losses? Oh, yeah. OK, Let’s just give it to the feel good coach these days and step over the better resume’ because someone else has to get it right?

Last edited:
Reactions: LVsinceJV
Name the ranked teams LSU beat this year to qualify her as COY, I’ll hang up and listen….but yeah, she coached her ass off once again, it’s what she does and has been doing for years. That’s Kim, and she will not be going away anytime soon….Her FF appearance this year was the result of a great path, some breaks (missed free throws (Utah), upsets etc.) but she did coach like a champ once again. Let’s give it to her though in spite of one of the weakest schedules in P5 shall we? Wonder what that record looks like if she had played @MD, @Stanford, @Uconn and UCLA to boot like someone else did OOC While she did not even play one P5 conf team OOC? Her schedule this year disqualifies her, period.
They still had to beat someone. Tell me which coach in the country has n year 2 of being in a new program could get their team to the final 4. Maybe through her coaching wisdom she scheduled the way she did to teach. No matter what she did early, she still has her team playing in the final weekend of the season.

They still had to beat someone. Tell me which coach in the country has n year 2 of being in a new program could get their team to the final 4. Maybe through her coaching wisdom she scheduled the way she did to teach. No matter what she did early, she still has her team playing in the final weekend of the season.

Yeah the Kim hate is confusing. Getting to the Final Four in year 2 is unheard of. Woman can coach some ball and you’ve got to respect that.

She’ll be the winningest coach of All-Time when she’s done. Nobody else like her, championships as a player, assistant, head coach and now possibly of two programs. Won’t be done again, ever. There is only one Kimmy.

Last edited:
Yep, he should have been there as well….great job Kenny. Again though, look at the body of work over the season, and the strength of schedule…kinda like Mulkey, enough to be COY? Over the #1 rated team that had a much tougher schedule? The one that was undefeated? Did VT have any bad losses? Oh, yeah. OK, Let’s just give it to the feel good coach these days and step over the better resume’ because someone else has to get it right?
I see your argument and I don't want to downplay the incredible achievement of being able to have a perfect season in this era of parity.

COY, imo, is for coaches that are up and coming, who have turned their programs around within a couple of seasons; not necessarily for grand accomplishments on the order that Dawn, Geno, and Kim have been able to do at their programs. I think what Dawn has accomplished at SC is more on the order of Coach of the Decade.

There were years when Pat’s teams were dominating and she was not COY. I think voters may look at this as “who did the most with less”. Is it a better job coaching to get a bunch of three stars to the sweet sixteen or to get a bunch of McD.s to the final four? I’m not expressing an opinion on this just thinking through what some voter’s decision process might have been. Recruiting prowess may not even be a consideration?

There were years when Pat’s teams were dominating and she was not COY. I think voters may look at this as “who did the most with less”. Is it a better job coaching to get a bunch of three stars to the sweet sixteen or to get a bunch of McD.s to the final four? I’m not expressing an opinion on this just thinking through what some voter’s decision process might have been. Recruiting prowess may not even be a consideration?
Voters need criteria, kind of like jury instructions, to know what they're actually voting on. I like "did more with less" COYs. To me it's lazy to just routinely hand it to the coach of the best team. I know there's coaching skill involved in sheparding through a great team undefeated. I still like the coach who overcame injuries, etc and had a great year. Kenny would be perfect.

Indiana's Teri Moren is AP Coach of the Year. SC fans already butt hurt.

I guess it depends on what you are rewarding. I've never understood automatically giving COY to the coach of the best team. In fact, if SC is, as claimed, the greatest roster ever assembled, exactly what did Dawn have to do? If the award is for best recruiting and team assembling, Dawn gets it hands down. But if it's for best actual in season coaching, I'm glad someone else won.

Given where Indiana was expected to be and what they achieved, I think Moren made a strong case...but not as strong as Kenny Brooks who started even lower and won the ACCT and is in the Final Four.

I wouldn't understimate what Dawn accomplished with SC. I think that the coaching job was more than just assembling a roster. It's getting some really great players to sacrifice personal stats and playing time for the sake of being a stronger team. They have a lot of players on their bench that would start for other top 25 teams, but she got them to commit to her vision for the team, which is no small feat. I don't think this is something that anyone other than a really great coach would be able to accomplish.

Given where Indiana was expected to be and what they achieved, I think Moren made a strong case...but not as strong as Kenny Brooks who started even lower and won the ACCT and is in the Final Four.

I wouldn't understimate what Dawn accomplished with SC. I think that the coaching job was more than just assembling a roster. It's getting some really great players to sacrifice personal stats and playing time for the sake of being a stronger team. They have a lot of players on their bench that would start for other top 25 teams, but she got them to commit to her vision for the team, which is no small feat. I don't think this is something that anyone other than a really great coach would be able to accomplish.
Virginia Tech was predicted to finish 2nd in the ACC. Brooks wasn't even COY in his own conference (Notre Dame's Niele Ivy won it and many people also thought Kara Lawson should've won it as well). Now I do notice that some people want to make the COY as a lifetime achievement award or just award it to the coach with the best record.

I want Lsu to beat Vt but the other game I actually want both teams to lose, but if I had to pick I will go with Iowa and Lsu beat them in the final.

VN Store

Back