Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

She came from Philly to Colombia and certainly united a diverse fan base. They choose whoever is hot at the time. A couple of years ago it would have been Barnes. Mulkey is creeping. You'll see.

Mulkey isn't shiny and new. She's been recruiting some of the best players out of high school for close to 15 years..

I was replying to someone who wondered why the young players didn’t choose Geno. When you look at some of the reasons why these young players chose DS, it’s obvious why Geno was not chosen. I don’t want to talk about DS, and yes, I consider her a divider of people.

Divider of people???? How?

Reactions: Rooster1
I was replying to someone who wondered why the young players didn’t choose Geno. When you look at some of the reasons why these young players chose DS, it’s obvious why Geno was not chosen. I don’t want to talk about DS, and yes, I consider her a divider of people.
Take it to the politics thread.

Women’s basketball has gotten a lot better. In the past many games were halter skelter with turnovers and wild shots. For me, only the elite teams (like UT, Baylor, Stanford, UConn, and about 5 others) were watchable. Now there is better team play overall and more talented players. More parity has also helped.

Staley has certainly nearly perfected the marketing strategy for herself and her program. The entire tv coverage is blanketed with commercials of Staley hawking slides and insurance, and then here comes the entire team in an UnderArmor commercial.

Genius. Companies pay you to do your recruiting for you. Have to admire that.

Indiana's Teri Moren is AP Coach of the Year. SC fans already butt hurt.

I guess it depends on what you are rewarding. I've never understood automatically giving COY to the coach of the best team. In fact, if SC is, as claimed, the greatest roster ever assembled, exactly what did Dawn have to do? If the award is for best recruiting and team assembling, Dawn gets it hands down. But if it's for best actual in season coaching, I'm glad someone else won.

Staley has certainly nearly perfected the marketing strategy for herself and her program. The entire tv coverage is blanketed with commercials of Staley hawking slides and insurance, and then here comes the entire team in an UnderArmor commercial.

And yet, they're always somehow claiming to be dissed and underestimated. Hard to pull off being the best ever, having nonstop wall to wall coverage AND be the underdog but there you go. It's already unwatchable for me, and now Cora Hall has gone to help the SC reporter cover the beat even more! I'm petty, I'm looking forward to the games but I'll be very glad when it's over.

Reactions: Smokey19rt

They're the hot ticket, and they got hot at a good time. With their success and their constant media exposure, people in their state and community will probably be very amendable to spending more than the average to maintain that level of talent. Sponsorships for NIL will come more easily, I'm sure. Anyone who's "on their way up" during this time of unbridled money will be able to magnify the effects of their success. It's lightning in a bottle, which is then zapped by even more lightning.

AP voted IU coach as Coach of the year…wow. It’s like telling the undefeated coach he/she didn’t do enough.. I guess she didn’t train, develop and coach those 36 wins as well as recruit that roster it took to do so. Whatever, you get it. Meanwhile the AP COY lost early in her conf championship and got bounced in the second round of the tourney….sure, thats the best coach in America.

LV fans would feel same way if their team was sitting undefeated and their coach was stepped over by a coach that had Moren’s credentials this year, fact. It is what it is.

Last edited:
And yet, they're always somehow claiming to be dissed and underestimated. Hard to pull off being the best ever, having nonstop wall to wall coverage AND be the underdog but there you go. It's already unwatchable for me, and now Cora Hall has gone to help the SC reporter cover the beat even more! I'm petty, I'm looking forward to the games but I'll be very glad when it's over.
Glv, make no mistake, SC will beat Iowa, probably convincingly. And the AP COY will be watching on TV.

Indiana's Teri Moren is AP Coach of the Year. SC fans already butt hurt.

giphy.gif

Honey Badger don’t give a ****, Honey Badger just takes what it wants…..

Honey Badger more motivated now. Oh look, Honey Badger eating a cobra…disgusting…SC by 10+…

Clark is the cobra, and it will bite the Honey Badger, but the snake will still be eaten. Honey Badger will live for another day. God help the LSU/VT winner……….

Last edited:
Reactions: Poultrygeist
AP voted IU coach as Coach of the year…wow. It’s like telling the undefeated coach he/she didn’t do enough.. I guess she didn’t train, develop and coach those 36 wins as well as recruit that roster it took to do so. Whatever, you get it. Meanwhile the AP COY lost early in her conf championship and got bounced in the second round of the tourney….sure, thats the best coach in America.

LV fans would feel same way if their team was sitting undefeated and their coach was stepped over by a coach that had Moren’s credentials this year, fact. It is what it is.

Staley over Moren makes a great deal of sense. All the more so as Moren made enough blunders/bad choices in her team's last three losses to disqualify her on the grounds of malpractice.

Exhibit 1, Indiana - Iowa: With less than 2 seconds to go with the game tied and Holmes shooting free throws, how do you not instruct her to miss the second free throw on purpose? And, if for whatever reason you prefer having the two point lead over a 1 point lead and a desperation heave, why don't you at least double team Clark on the subsequent sideline inbound when everyone in the arena knows that she will be taking the last shot for Iowa?

Exhibit 2, Indiana - Ohio State: Your team has come out hot and the other team can't hit the broadside of a barn. Your team leads by 23 early in the 3rd quarter but Ohio State catches up to your team during the next 14 minutes using their press which you should have been totally prepared for since you are in the same league and already played them twice.

Exhibit 3, Indiana -Miami: Miami is hot from the perimeter and takes a lead but your team catches them by the end of the 3rd quarter. From there it's a tense back and forth, your best player in the game has been Mackenzie Holmes but over the last 3 minutes of the game you don't run any plays for her and she doesn't take a shot for the rest of the game. Why?!

Staley over Moren makes a great deal of sense. All the more so as Moren made enough blunders/bad choices in her team's last three losses to disqualify her on the grounds of malpractice.

Exhibit 1, Indiana - Iowa: With less than 2 seconds to go with the game tied and Holmes shooting free throws, how do you not instruct her to miss the second free throw on purpose? And, if for whatever reason you prefer having the two point lead over a 1 point lead and a desperation heave, why don't you at least double team Clark on the subsequent sideline inbound when everyone in the arena knows that she will be taking the last shot for Iowa?

Exhibit 2, Indiana - Ohio State: Your team has come out hot and the other team can't hit the broadside of a barn. Your team leads by 23 early in the 3rd quarter but Ohio State catches up to your team during the next 14 minutes using their press which you should have been totally prepared for since you are in the same league and already played them twice.

Exhibit 3, Indiana -Miami: Miami is hot from the perimeter and takes a lead but your team catches them by the end of the 3rd quarter. From there it's a tense back and forth, your best player in the game has been Mackenzie Holmes but over the last 3 minutes of the game you don't run any plays for her and she doesn't take a shot for the rest of the game. Why?!

Max….I have gone over all that with another who was close to the IU program, even they think she has in-game coaching faults such as the three you mentioned, there were others also. If you want to give the award to another coach, one who had to do more with less and disregard all the needed coaching abilities to get “the more” in the first place, at least choose one who was good at you know, coaching late in games….Moren was horrendous. Let them have their cake right now, they won’t be eating it also in the end as they sit at home watching the rest of the games. Honey Badger don’t give a ****, it gonna eat the cake while they watch.

Last edited:
Max….I have gone over all that with another who was close to the IU program, even they think she has in-game coaching faults such as the three you mentioned, there were others also. If you want to give the award to another coach, one who had to do more with less and disregard all the needed coaching abilities to get “the more” in the first place, at least choose one who was good at you know, coaching late in games….Moren was horrendous. Let them have their cake right now, they won’t be eating it also in the end as they sit at home watching the rest of the games. Honey Badger don’t give a ****, it gonna eat the cake while they watch.
Kim Mulkey has deserved that award the last 2 years in a row, by taking what should have been a bottom-dwelling team a year ago and getting them to the tournament by placing 2 in the SEC and then in year 2 getting her team to the final 4. That should be a no-brainer.

Reactions: mcannon1
Kim Mulkey has deserved that award the last 2 years in a row, by taking what should have been a bottom-dwelling team a year ago and getting them to the tournament by placing 2 in the SEC and then in year 2 getting her team to the final 4. That should be a no-brainer.
Name the ranked teams LSU beat this year to qualify her as COY, I’ll hang up and listen….but yeah, she coached her ass off once again, it’s what she does and has been doing for years. That’s Kim, and she will not be going away anytime soon….Her FF appearance this year was the result of a great path, some breaks (missed free throws (Utah), upsets etc.) but she did coach like a champ once again. Let’s give it to her though in spite of one of the weakest schedules in P5 shall we? Wonder what that record looks like if she had played @MD, @Stanford, @Uconn and UCLA to boot like someone else did OOC While she did not even play one P5 conf team OOC? Her schedule this year disqualifies her, period.

Last edited:
Reactions: chuckiepoo

VN Store

Back