Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

I posted the game video above, go to the 46 second mark of the 4th quarter. There is NO video evidence either way...You Don't Know...the ref was right there and was the only one to see the exchange.....you won't find any camera shot showing hands from both players on the ball because there isn't one. Btw, I don't recommend operating heavy equipment or TV remotes on half a brain and one eye.

1:35:00 and 1:35:01 seems to show it in my opinion.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Except there is no view from any camera that showed it was handed off as the announcers were implying in their chatter talk. In fact, nobody but the players and ref had a clear view. It could have been handed off, and it could have been a very short pass, say a few inches. To say emphatically this was the most egregious call of the game implies you have actual video evidence of the infraction...you do not. Nobody except that ref and those players had a view, period. It was indeterminate from the fans viewpoint. The pass could have been half an inch and been perfectly legal....there is not a single camera view that shows both players hands on the ball simultaneously beyond any reasonable doubt.
The distance between the two players was, nothing. There was no room for a pass of any length. Not only is a handoff illegal, both players had their hands on the ball at the same time which means one of them was standing out of bounds. There wasn't any room between them to make a pass, and any with one eye could see that. May not have won the game, but UConn would have the ball at a critical time in the game.

The distance between the two players was, nothing. There was no room for a pass of any length. Not only is a handoff illegal, both players had their hands on the ball at the same time which means one of them was standing out of bounds. There wasn't any room between them to make a pass, and any with one eye could see that. May not have won the game, but UConn would have the ball at a critical time in the game.
Never mind that the SC girl was being mugged, but maybe that doesn't count in Storrs!

Reactions: Rooster1
Show me a picture or video where the two players both have their hand(s) on the ball. Save your time, it does not exist. "There was no room for a pass of ANY length" you claim. You know that statement cannot be true, and the pass only needs to be made regardless if the distance is 1/4" or 5 feet. You did not have a viewpoint to know for certain the ball did not travel some distance in the pass/exchange. Only the ref had that viewpoint. Look at the game video I posted. You are saying the same thing as orange maniac, who has now backed off to "its my opinion". If its your only eye take good care of it.....

Reactions: Majac
Never mind that the SC girl was being mugged, but maybe that doesn't count in Storrs!

Muhl was mugging Cooke the entire time before the inbound is even made. uconn players were of course under instructions to foul immediately to stop the clock ONCE the ball was inbounded. But Muhl was holding Cooke and fouling her well prior to Cooke getting the ball, which should have been a dead ball foul.

" A dead ball foul occurs in basketball when a foul is committed after the referee has whistled for play to stop or the ball has already been ruled dead, such as the ball going out of bounds or after a timeout is called. A dead ball foul is ruled either a technical foul or flagrant foul depending on how excessive the contact is."

I'd say Uconn is the fortunate one in that sequence. That was a flagrant foul at best by Uconn strictly by the rules and can be called a technical. Either way, SC gets free throws and the ball back if the ref calls Muhl for the dead ball foul.

Last edited:
Reactions: Majac
How I love a good pissing match between UConn and South Carolina fans...

funny-fight-slap.gif

I posted the game video above, go to the 46 second mark of the 4th quarter. There is NO video evidence either way...You Don't Know...the ref was right there and was the only one to see the exchange.....you won't find any camera shot showing hands from both players on the ball because there isn't one. Btw, I don't recommend operating heavy equipment or TV remotes on half a brain and one eye.

Replay at 43.8 clearly shows both sc players hand on ball.

WOW! Raven Johnson logged 36 mins, Also notes Saxton defense was really bad and Dawn was not having it only 10 mins,
I don't know why Dawn continues to start/play Saxton. She's no better than she was last season, she won't be a difference maker this season, and Feagin/Watkins would benefit from more developmental minutes that Saxton is using up. At this point, there's no real upside to playing her at all. She should've moved on after last season.

I don't know why Dawn continues to start/play Saxton. She's no better than she was last season, she won't be a difference maker this season, and Feagin/Watkins would benefit from more developmental minutes that Saxton is using up. At this point, there's no real upside to playing her at all. She should've moved on after last season.
Also spot on, could not agree more Amb. Saxton was abused by Edwards in those ten minutes, she doesn’t recover or anticipate well enough against a player like that. Dawn has played her freshman a bunch this year, but she doesn’t seem to trust them in the big games yet. I’d go Watkins or even Feagin over Saxton but wth do I know. She didn’t even trust Hall versus Uconn and Hall was coming off a career game. She sure did let Raven play this game though.

I’m in the minority with SC fans in that I think Amihere gets more minutes than she deserves, but her defense is usually excellent, except at Uconn this year. She was off her game, happens a bunch with her, mostly offensively, but it was defensively also at Uconn. Geno schemed so well in that game, several SC players were off their games from the defensive and offensive matchups he was moving around. He is smart as **** in basketball obviously (duh).

Last edited:
If this South Carolina team could shoot, they might rank among the all time great teams.

While they are the clear favorites this season, their erratic shooting is a significant weakness that still leaves them vulnerable to upset in the postseason...
I was thinking the exact same thing. I think SC is a great, great team, but because of their inconsistent outside shooting, they are vulnerable to the right team at the right time. This game they only had to cover lou, but if they come against a team with multiple outside threats, and they have a good interior game, they may have a tougher time. I am not saying we are the team, but that part may be their only weakness. Regarding the "pass", @Rooster1 is right, we really can't tell what happened, all we can do in the future is pray that the officiating gets better so no team has to wonder, "what If".

No, that was great defense. If a player gets stuck in a corner or on the sideline, just standing in front of them with your hands up is defense 101. It's called a trap, and all teams know how to do this. BYW, the game was in Hartford, and yes, tough defense is what they play.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I was thinking the exact same thing. I think SC is a great, great team, but because of their inconsistent outside shooting, they are vulnerable to the right team at the right time. This game they only had to cover lou, but if they come against a team with multiple outside threats, and they have a good interior game, they may have a tougher time. I am not saying we are the team, but that part may be their only weakness. Regarding the "pass", @Rooster1 is right, we really can't tell what happened, all we can do in the future is pray that the officiating gets better so no team has to wonder, "what If".

Stoors, good post. I remember last year having the same feelings about the perimeter game for SC heading into the tourney. Somehow, there usually is 1-2 players that find their stroke in the tourney when teams pack the paint against SC like Henderson did last season, but it sure is nerve wracking knowing it is not a guarantee someone will step up each game like that. Vs UConn yesterday, those two 3’s in the fourth by SC were huge but never guaranteed. It’s a tight rope to walk against good offensive teams, wish it wasn’t so.

Indiana is a scary team. Fun fact, during the Covid season when the tourney was cancelled, SC was #1 and had only one loss, an early season loss to the Hoosiers on a neutral court when MacKenzie Holmes was a true freshman. IU clocked SC that night. SC went on to dominate the rest of the season and were prohibitive favs to win a NCC until it was cancelled. IU is really good this year, inside and outside.

Last edited:
No, that was great defense. If a player gets stuck in a corner or on the sideline, just standing in front of them with your hands up is defense 101. It's called a trap, and all teams know how to do this. BYW, the game was in Hartford, and yes, tough defense is what they play.
Except watch the video, Muhl was fouling Cooke well before the transfer of the ball. That is a dead ball foul btw….free throws and possession. Was not called, but should have been.

I know Geno outcoaches everyone, but he lost his composure a few times in that game, The camera loves to show Dawn with her scowl face on the bench, but she rarely if ever engages the refs in a confrontational manner, she stays cool in that department even in tight games. She saves her instruction for her players. She stays pretty even keeled in spite of her facial expressions reserved for her dislike of things her players do at times.

Side note, one of the announcers had a funny comeback at that point in the game saying the Uconn Asst coaches were well versed now in keeping water bottles away from Geno…😉 I’m thinking these two teams have not seen the last of each other this year. I really hope Uconn gets back their injured players before tourney time, makes it more fun to watch them compete. I also wish Paige was playing this year, WBB fans deserve to watch a generational talent like her, she is like Clark, maybe better. When she is 100%, she is the first player I pick for my team hands down. Nobody can create their own shot like Paige can. Hate injuries.

Last edited:

I think we will see Feagin/Watkins more at some point i think

Geno is who he is, take out a thesaurus for g rated and add in an R or X. But the man can coach. He is the GOAT on X' and O's with illegal screens. Pat never beat him in title games. Hate the man, but he is the better coach when it comes to the game. Born and raised in TN and a UT grad but I will admit he is the better coach. It's not even up for debate.

Reactions: Rooster1

VN Store

Back