Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

It wouldn't be fair to Miles if she wasn't able to win NFOY. She had no chance to win it last year only playing 6 games. She is playing this year and has 3 more years of eligibility. She's a freshman. I say go for it.

Edit: I just found this on the NCAA website discussing mid season superlatives:

National Freshman of the Year (so far)
Screen%20Shot%202021-12-27%20at%204.43.07%20PM.png

Notre Dame's Olivia Miles has been working on her case of becoming the National Freshman of the Year, so far. The freshman point guard is running the Irish offense full-time and has been setting her teammates up for success. Miles is currently No. 1 in the nation in assists, dishing out 101. Iowa State's Emily Ryan is next in line recording 82 assists.

Why wouldn’t it be fair? It’s not really fair to the rest of her class that she got a semester of playing/practicing and a summer of practice.

She’s a (essentially) sophomore. Could have waited and started with everyone else but she didn’t. Should not be eligible

Last edited:
Why wouldn’t it be fair? It’s not really fair to the rest of her class that she got a semester of playing/practicing and a summer of practice.

She’s a sophomore. Could have waited and started with everyone else but she didn’t. Should not be eligible
I don't know how the USBWA determines class, but according to ND roster, she is listed as a freshman.

I asked this a while back but not sure anyone had an answer. Does any have info on Maori Davenport? I only recently noticed she is not on the UGA roster any longer.

Also wondering about 6’5” Rochelle Norris who transferred from WV to VTech. She’s had injury issues throughout her career I think. She has yet to play a game for VTech but is listed on their roster.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
I don't know how the USBWA determines class, but according to ND roster, she is listed as a freshman.

Yes I know she is listed as a freshman, eligibility wise she is a freshman. I don’t think those players that start early should be eligible for the freshman awards though.

She was a freshman last season and was truly playing like a freshman. She absolutely has an unfair advantage compared someone who matriculated this fall.

It’s not like those awards matter anyway. But I do think they should be reserved for traditional freshman.

Why would I have a problem with that?

But it's the DePaul freshman that is the best in the country in my opinion.

Not sure what your point is about Poffenbarger.
If we were all playing backyard ball and picking teams from the available freshman, pretty much everyone picks Ducharme first, so yeah, she’s the best freshman.

If we were all playing backyard ball and picking teams from the available freshman, pretty much everyone picks Ducharme first, so yeah, she’s the best freshman.
Maybe she's had the best freshman year, but I don't think she will ultimately be the best player in her class.

Would agree. The last 5 games or so she has looked excellent. Really risen to the challenge and looks relaxed most of the time.

Maintain their chemistry is still poor though. She’s having good individual performances but she cannot affect the game enough for them to win against good teams.

Watching UCONN this season I’ve noticed Nika seems physically incapable of shooting the ball. It seems like she’s not able to shoot due to whatever her injury is (hand/wrist I believe). Her percentages are abysmal and she attempts very, very few shots this season. She was 38% and 34% from three a season ago. She’s barely scratched the scoring column this season.

A PG who is a great pace player and passer but who literally cannot shoot the ball is almost a Geno wet dream Lol. But it’s a serious concern for them until they get some of their other guards back. Teams don’t seem to have noticed until Oregon. They were really forcing her to take shots. At the moment you’ve got to keep her out in front and play the pass but can give her a whole bunch of room.

Watching UCONN this season I’ve noticed Nika seems physically incapable of shooting the ball. It seems like she’s not able to shoot due to whatever her injury is (hand/wrist I believe). Her percentages are abysmal and she attempts very, very few shots this season. She was 38% and 34% from three a season ago. She’s barely scratched the scoring column this season.

A PG who is a great pace player and passer but who literally cannot shoot the ball is almost a Geno wet dream Lol. But it’s a serious concern for them until they get some of their other guards back. Teams don’t seem to have noticed until Oregon. They were really forcing her to take shots. At the moment you’ve got to keep her out in front and play the pass but can give her a whole bunch of room.
This season, Nika can't shoot...and she doesn't drive either. She's literally no threat to put the basketball in the hoop. Her passing game and defense hasn't looked too good since she's been back either.

This season, Nika can't shoot...and she doesn't drive either. She's literally no threat to put the basketball in the hoop. Her passing game and defense hasn't looked too good since she's been back either.

Yeah and that’s my point. I don’t think it is just that she isn’t looking for her own shot. Looks to me like she is totally unable to shoot comfortably with her injury.

If she is their main PG when we play I’ll bet we see the Lady Vols giving her a wide berth and maybe throwing a trap here and there. A little 5 on 4 defense.

Would agree. The last 5 games or so she has looked excellent. Really risen to the challenge and looks relaxed most of the time.

Maintain their chemistry is still poor though. She’s having good individual performances but she cannot affect the game enough for them to win against good teams.
If by chemistry, you mean injuries, I would agree.

I'm picking Rori Harmon she is a dog and she breaking someone's ankles ... If we are playing in an organized type of setting then i would pick Ducharme

If it's a backyard brawl i want Harmon she has some bite to her

Moore from Vandy and Puckett could have easily been on the list. A lot of these girls are not playing on competitive teams. So of course they’re getting more minutes/stats.
You notice how Charlie Creme started off his comment saying "Azzi Fudd" is not on the list either as to apologize. We have had two earn freshman of the week honors in a League that is projecting 10 teams making it into the NCAA tournament. That should carry some weight as well as the overall team ranking. Both Sarah and Brooklyn are huge contributors to the Number 5 team in the country. Many of the freshmen mentioned are playing for teams that have sub-par win-loss records in weeker overall leagues.

Last edited:
If by chemistry, you mean injuries, I would agree.
Evina Westbrook
Christyn Williams
Carolyn Ducharme
Dorka Juhasz
ONO
Aliyah Edwards

These 6 players should be playing better together than they are. Their collective sum seems to be less than the total of their individual parts. There is definitely chemistry issues going on there.

Evina Westbrook
Christyn Williams
Carolyn Ducharme
Dorka Juhasz
ONO
Aliyah Edwards

These 6 players should be playing better together than they are. Their collective sum seems to be less than the total of their individual parts. There is definitely chemistry issues going on there.
Edwards has developed the yips…..any Shots around the rim like layups or put backs gets in her head…..hell, we even saw her travel on a breakaway layup last game….it’s a mental thing, she is afraid to miss and it screws with her mind. She has lost her confidence because of it.

Dorka was breaking out before the 4 game cancellations and has come back playing like she was at the start of the season again, can’t figure that one out tbh.

Westbrook is in a funk, she was always up and down. She is better off the bench.

Ono and Williams are “fine”….meaning they are what they are, good players but not 1st or 2nd team AA’s and neither can carry a team through a season. They are not the leader types. They are simply good players who would start for most teams. Williams once was thought to have a much higher ceiling than she actually has, but that’s not a slam on her, she is very good.

Every single player on that roster gave way to Paige which was fine, but they went too far and put too much of the load on her. The fact that they were content letting it be a one player show does not reflect well on the leadership or competitiveness of the other players. You can call it chemistry, but I think the competitive makeup of the group is less than what UCONN thought it would be.

Last edited:
Texas pummels Iowa State on their home floor. They held them to 28 percent from the field and only 12 field goals in the entire game. A much needed win for them after already having two losses in the Big 12. Kansas State over Kansas Lee with 25 and 15 big time player.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Texas pummels Iowa State on their home floor. They held them to 28 percent from the field and only 12 field goals in the entire game. A much needed win for them after already having two losses in the Big 12. Kansas State over Kansas Lee with 25 and 15 big time player.

Iowa state with no Ashley Joens didn’t look good at all. They tend to put all their eggs in one basket. They are still my pick to win the Big 12 but if they play many games without her that will change.

VN Store

Back