Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

About to tune in for Stanford/Colorado, should be a good one! Colorado remains the last unbeaten team at 13-0. Stanford will be their first true test. They have had some really good games the last few seasons.

This game could tell a lot for the trajectory of Colorado’s season depending on the outcome.

Boy, that Stanford Colorado box score looks familiar doesn’t it. Colorado kept it close until into 4 th quarter by evidently fouling the beejeezus out of Stanford on the floor, not shooting. Stanford had a big rebound margin and 22TOs. Colorado had like 15 steals and around 20 fouls. That does not sound like a fun game to watch.
So I guess the new defensive strategy is to maul away, get a bunch of fouls and steals and see how it shakes out.

Really competitive game. Colorado came out with great defensive intensity. In the end they just couldn’t maintain that for the duration. They started looking gassed toward the end of the first half. Lost steam in the second half a bit.

Q. Miller is a really nice player for them, she fouled out with 6:00 remaining or it may have been a closer outcome. She was far and away Colorado’s best offensive threat today.

I’ve heard the terms used interchangeably in the past. We always called it a 2-3 zone when I was in school but different regions will call it a 3-2.

A 2-3 and a 3-2 are NOT the same. Regionalism has nothing to do with it. Kim said and meant a 3-2, to help defend against Missouri's outside shooters.

I’ve heard the terms used interchangeably in the past. We always called it a 2-3 zone when I was in school but different regions will call it a 3-2.

I understand them to be different zones for different purposes. A 2-3 is a zone with 3 bigs and is designed to choke the middle where as a 3-2 is played with 3 guard/wing players to put more pressure on 3 point shooters. I only like the 3-2 played as a matchup to stop skip passes for easy 3's. All zones have deficiencies but are an attempt to mask your deficiencies in a man defense. If your zone throttles the other guys strength and the other team cannot adjust to take advantage of your zone it's a good way to go.

Reactions: Lucy and chuckiepoo
I understand them to be different zones for different purposes. A 2-3 is a zone with 3 bigs and is designed to choke the middle where as a 3-2 is played with 3 guard/wing players to put more pressure on 3 point shooters. I only like the 3-2 played as a matchup to stop skip passes for easy 3's. All zones have deficiencies but are an attempt to mask your deficiencies in a man defense. If your zone throttles the other guys strength and the other team cannot adjust to take advantage of your zone it's a good way to go.

Asked and answered move along.

Anyone know what happened with Maori Davenport? Haven’t really thought about it but she is not on the UGA roster. Can’t find any info online. Thought she looked like she could really develop into a nice player.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
To clarify with everyone, Kim said it was 3-2 zone they played since Mizzou shoots lights out from 3. Her teams only play man and it’s a credit to Nikki for basically being a zone team because these kids knew enough from the past years to play it well enough to win Thursday.
Yes. But I heard Kim say more than once that the team succeeded because SHE told them what to do.

Yes. But I heard Kim say more than once that the team succeeded because SHE told them what to do.
Yes clearly she is the coach and they are having a great season because of what she brings to the table. I was making an observation and also going off of what Kim said in the post game interview. I think this 2-3 zone 3-2 zone convo has been beat in the dirt enough. How about we talk about this weeks upcoming games 😅

My #22 Argos just posted a big (rivalry) W against #6 Carroll College. Carroll posting back to back losses (the first against #15 Rocky Mountain College) could shake up the NAIA top 25.

The Argos will head to Billings to take on Rocky this Saturday to avenge an early season, 15 point loss to the Battlin’ Bears. Rocky’s only loss of the season has been to RV Lewis-Clark State (a former Frontier Conference foe) by 3.

As a follow-up (because I know everyone is on the edge of their seats…)

Argos win a close one this afternoon in Billings, knocking off Rocky 57-55. Three time Argos AA Emilee Maldonado led all scorers with 16. This puts both teams at 5-1 in Frontier Conference play and tied for the top spot in the standings.

Next up, the Argos will play against MSU Northern in Havre on Thursday. The Argos took down the Skylights in Great Falls in their first meeting of the season, 74-48.

(This is what happens when folks say there are only UConn and SC fans hanging around in here… :p)

Florida Gulf Coast who won at LSU hangs on to beat 15 and 1 Liberty. They should be ranked(26th most recent poll) and will be a dangerous 8 or 9 seed come tourney time. Transfers Kendall Spray(now 412 3 pointers made) and Ohio State transfer K. Bell a potential All American can bomb it from 3.

VN Store

Back