Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

I did have a small parlay (got the other 2 games right) on SFA against Texas AM tonight. Both 3 and 0 and Texas AM +13.5. 8 point game at half. I am not watching live but 14 fouls for SFA in 1 half.🙄🙄🙄 That seems like quite a bit and maybe some home cooking for Blair and A&M. Just an observation just looking at the box score.
I'm watching it. SFA is leaving too many driving lanes open, and Kayla Wells is taking advantage of it. SFA would then close in too late and foul her.

I think we are going to see Missouri State slide this season. Coach Harper built a culture there and it persevered so far. I won’t be shock to see them lose their next four games though. Dropped a close one to Ok State on Wednesday, have USC, VATech, and LSU next.

Their offense has taken a nosedive and with most of the same players returning still from that Sweet 16 team.

UCLA is depleted with injuries at the moment. Not playing very well tonight. Unable to get out to shooters and CSUN is knocking down shots so far.

They’re missing true size in a bad way. Their post players don’t pass like UCONNs. That’s why Geno’s undersized posts get by, they can usually stretch the D and are great passers. UCLAs posts are very undersized and aren’t great on either front.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Vandy team does not have a lot of talent right now but you can tell they are well coached and play real hard. Future looks bright at Vandy if she can get the talent.

Vandy is at rock bottom right now. If Ralph can build that program into a power she will definitely have earned the keys to Geno's kingdom...

You are right, but any comment about UConn would have to wait until after the game as we are not allowed to post on the Boneyard until the game is completed. This would eliminate any spontaneous outburst that may seem inappropriate at the time.

Not true. You can post all you want in the chat during games......

The distance change made some difference you still would think most teams could make 30 percent that is only 3 of 10.

You can tell it’s affected scores/percentages. I think by February we will see teams adapt and percentages improve. Players have been practicing from that distance in the off-season but live game action is just different. At an elite level so much of shooting is muscle memory and mental state.

During live games your body defaults to what’s it’s known before. Lots and lots of short shots watching games. That, or, players obviously overshooting trying to compensate.

Last edited:
Will be interested to watch UCF and Belmont Sunday.

Belmont has been pretty solid offensively and Wells is a very good player. They are not afraid to shoot the 3.

Watched UCF play Virginia (who does not look good) and they owned them. Their defense controlled the game from the tip and UVA had no answer. They could hardly get the ball across halfcourt. UCF individual defense is a commitment and they are bought it.

Battles didn’t play much I’m thinking her knee was sore after playing us. I was shocked how hard she was able to play sans brace and how good she looked after tearing her ACL at the end of last season. I’m thinking she paid for it a bit afterward. Tough player and very fun to watch.

I suspect UCF will handle Belmont pretty well. Their defense accounts for about 80% of their offense from what I can tell. So far we are the only team to break 40 points against them lol

Last edited:
UGA was 0-8 from 3 PT range vs Mercer last night

I’m placing my bet that they finish 5th in the SEC this season. I think they miss Connally and Caldwell more than some realize. Losing your starting backcourt, even returning Q and Barker, is hard to absorb.

Connally and Caldwell were also their best threats from 3 they combined for 73 of their total 130 made 3s on the season. That’s almost 2/3 of their total production from the perimeter. Q can shoot it but she’s pretty streaky.

Not been impressed with Barker, don’t think she has the athleticism or shooting touch to be consistently productive in the SEC. She was not a good 3pt shooter last season and is so far abysmal from the new distance. Still only shoots FTs at about 60% this season and was 55% a year ago. That’s a good indication she just doesn’t have pure shooting touch. Hailey Van Lith lite for me.

All of their production is coming from their returners so far which means they were not able to replace what they lost at the guard spot. Hollingshed is their only newcomer who has contributed anything significant. A player I’m still bummed we weren’t able to bring to Knoxville.

Last edited:
NC State and K-State is likely to be a good game this evening. Two excellent centers in Elisa Cunane and Ayoka Lee facing off. Lee has been a terror for teams so far already scoring 40+ in a game. She had 33 and 13 their last time out against WKU.

I think Lee will/should win the Lisa Leslie award. She was an under the radar recruit but has been dynamite at K-State. Boston is probably the best center but I think she and Cardoso are going to play each other out of some awards cutting into each other’s production. Probably good for SC team in the long run but I suspect Boston won’t win as many individual accolades this season

NC State and K-State is likely to be a good game this evening. Two excellent centers in Elisa Cunane and Ayoka Lee facing off. Lee has been a terror for teams so far already scoring 40+ in a game. She had 33 and 13 their last time out against WKU.

I think Lee will/should win the Lisa Leslie award. She was an under the radar recruit but has been dynamite at K-State. Boston is probably the best center but I think she and Cardoso are going to play each other out of some awards cutting into each other’s production. Probably good for SC team in the long run but I suspect Boston won’t win as many individual accolades this season
It is a matchup I am most looking forward to and I am hoping the refs do not dictate how the two of them play. I also hope to see them guard one another 1 on 1 and a lot less double teaming or sending a help defender.

It is a matchup I am most looking forward to and I am hoping the refs do not dictate how the two of them play. I also hope to see them guard one another 1 on 1 and a lot less double teaming or sending a help defender.

Yes! Me too, really hoping they’ll let them duke it out in there tonight. May the best woman win!

Reactions: Volfan2012
Here's another point of view. If Shea Ralph indeed builds Vandy into a power, why would she not decide to stay, ala Dawn Staley?
She's not a native New Englander, so that's a great point. If Shea can start recruiting at Vandy as well as Dawn is doing at SC, I could see that being a legitimate question. I think the bigger motivating factor would be how much Vandy is willing to invest in their WCBB program, and would she have the same backing there that she could reasonably expect at UConn.

No it does not grass is not always greener on other side
That's true, but it also works out for a lot of players who decide a change of venue is in order for them. Aari McDonald, Te'a Cooper, Mimi Collins, Katie Benzan, Chloe Bibby, Anastasia Hayes, Evina Westbrook, Andi Espinoza Hunter, Aliyah Matharu, Ciera Johnson, Jordan Nixon, and Leigha Brown are some recent players where the transfer was absolutely the right move for them. Pairing the right coach with the right player is probably the biggest part of the equation.

Reactions: PG1 and 1reVOLver
She's not a native New Englander, so that's a great point. If Shea can start recruiting at Vandy as well as Dawn is doing at SC, I could see that being a legitimate question. I think the bigger motivating factor would be how much Vandy is willing to invest in their WCBB program, and would she have the same backing there that she could reasonably expect at UConn.

If Shea can turn it around and get Vandy near the top of the SEC I highly doubt she would leave for any other job. Geno built UConn to what it is today, so it will always be his program. Vandy is in a better conference with a great bunch of young coaches who would become her rivals as well as colleagues. What she wants is to build her own program, and if she can do that at Vandy she will never leave. And yes, she is not a New Englander, she grew up in North Carolina.

Reactions: olddog
If Shea can turn it around and get Vandy near the top of the SEC I highly doubt she would leave for any other job. Geno built UConn to what it is today, so it will always be his program. Vandy is in a better conference with a great bunch of young coaches who would become her rivals as well as colleagues. What she wants is to build her own program, and if she can do that at Vandy she will never leave. And yes, she is not a New Englander, she grew up in North Carolina.

If the North Carolina job were ever offered, I would bet the farm she'd take it. She's at the age now where she's probably wishing she could live close to family, especially if her parents are still living. The inner drive to go home can be extremely powerful. Hope she gets back someday.

Reactions: Rooster1

VN Store

Back