Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

I see MSU as the biggest wildcard of the SEC. Others will disagree, but IMO Anastasia Hayes is the best guard in the conference. If Carter returns and joins Hayes and Jackson, they have the talent to finish 2nd in the conference. If the new coach proves to be in over his head, Carter remains suspended, and the Hayes experiment blows up in their faces, they will finish in the bottom third...
They are a talented team if Carter is still on the team. I don't figure a coach will kick her off for one incident, but we'll see. If for any reason she is not there they are in some trouble inside as she is their key player in the post.

I see MSU as the biggest wildcard of the SEC. Others will disagree, but IMO Anastasia Hayes is the best guard in the conference. If Carter returns and joins Hayes and Jackson, they have the talent to finish 2nd in the conference. If the new coach proves to be in over his head, Carter remains suspended, and the Hayes experiment blows up in their faces, they will finish in the bottom third...
I'd put MSST higher if they had more size and post depth. They will surprise some teams picked higher than them, but their lack of size/rebounding will IMO prevent them from finishing in the top 5 of conference play no matter what Annie does.

My observation too they just don't have enough size they have quickness and speed but young ladies are so athletic now the bigger ladies are quick and speedy

My observation too they just don't have enough size they have quickness and speed but young ladies are so athletic now the bigger ladies are quick and speedy
They have enough size in their starting 5, but not enough that Jackson and Carter can come off the court for any extended period of time. Maybe Farley can spell Carter a bit, but there's no one to come in at the 4 for Jackson who has the size to rebound and defend.

They have enough size in their starting 5, but not enough that Jackson and Carter can come off the court for any extended period of time. Maybe Farley can spell Carter a bit, but there's no one to come in at the 4 for Jackson who has the size to rebound and defend.

As of right now Carter is suspended indefinitely unless something has changed.

Lots about it is interesting.

A) Who replaces her this close to the season? (sounds like the associate HC)

B) What happens with Jessika Carter now?

C) The Hayes sisters?

D) We have no idea if her cancer has returned as it is none of our business. She did not state what the health concern was. Only that she had dealt with similar concerns in the past. It is very inappropriate to assume that is the case until you know for certain. She could be dealing with back problems, mental health issues, autoimmune problems. Who knows.

The statement I read from the school was cold and formal. It wasn’t warm and well wishing. It was the statement an AD puts out when someone resigns to “focus on other endeavors” or to “spend more time with their family.”

They also removed her from the website in record time. Not exactly what you’d expect their athletic department’s first priority to be.

Last year was not great for her. Most of Starkville wanted her gone and they have had problems all off season. Carter’s suspension and I have heard rumors (yes, rumors) that working in the Hayes sisters was not going as well as hoped.

Her health may be the largest component but I have a feeling there is more to this story and we will hear about it over the next few weeks.

That about sums it up.

I think she was asked to step down too. They removed her from the website in less than an hour, and sounded like they didn't want her back.

Tickets sales are way down. (no point if nobody watches the games next year) Her recruiting is bottom of the league. And Jessika Carter is unlikely to play. It definitely doesn't look good and it was best for both parties to go their own ways.

Reactions: VolBall09
I think she was asked to step down too. They removed her from the website in less than an hour, and sounded like they didn't want her back.

That doesn't make a lot of sense. The time to ask her to step down is March, not a month before the season starts. Does the program really feel better with a former Vol tennis player with no women's basketball coaching experience taking over? If that was the plan, they should have just kept Nikki another year...

Reactions: LadyVol1908
That doesn't make a lot of sense. The time to ask her to step down is March, not a month before the season starts. Does the program really feel better with a former Vol tennis player with no women's basketball coaching experience taking over? If that was the plan, they should have just kept Nikki another year...

Have to believe they were going to try to give her two years no matter what. Everyone’s excuse last season was COVID, and it was a reasonable one. As things have normalized and the situation got worse instead of better their hand was forced.

Reactions: EnglishBulldog
Mulkey will raid the transfer portal and will probably be very good doing it. She did a lot of that at Baylor and suspect it will happen again. Will need to as like you said has no recruits although I think Smith will end up there.

This ☝🏼

She’s not worried about high school recruits. She’s going to cruise the portal like a shark. She knows this season is “advertising” as well. If they have a great season, which they have the pieces to do, she’ll have her pick of the litter.

View attachment 404677We play Virginia Tech on their court.

I think the ACC will be the toughest conference this season.

Don’t see anyone beating Stanford in the PAC-12. SEC is admittedly a bit down this season, but could be very exciting depending on how coaching/roster changes pan out for teams.

Big 12 will have a few decent teams. Iowa State is my favorite in that conference. They return their two dynamic freshman guards as sophomores. I was impressed with their maturity last season, betting they have a good jump this year if healthy.

As mentioned in other posts I think Baylor takes a step back. They return some key players but Kim was so much of what made Baylor successful. She’s the quarterback of her teams. Calls so much of the action from the sidelines. When you watch their games almost every post entry or layup is directed by her from the sideline. Her PG has to be all ears.

I think Kansas State and West Virginia will both be good as well. KState has the excellent center Lee, they were on the cusp all season but lost a ton of close games. Their guards were very young if I remember correctly. Now they should be mostly Jrs and So on the perimeter with a few seniors in the mix.

As poster below said. Director Cohen felt confident last year was just a fluke and he trusted her evaluators who stated countlessly that she was an elite recruiter. That was March. Fast forward to October when her recruiting revealed to be worse than Vanderbilt, Auburn, and Alabama's - (Debrasha Powe being her only 2022 recruit) the university didn't feel there was much if any improvement. Ticket sales are WAY down, not even half of an average Vic year. Jessika Carter will not play next year. That's not an if; she WILL NOT play. Hayes sisters might help, but just to keep us from being bottom of the league. They don't trust the replacement assistant, but next year is gonna be what it is..... a year that we're just gonna have to get thru and hopefully won't be as bad as it looks right now.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
As poster below said. Director Cohen felt confident last year was just a fluke and he trusted her evaluators who stated countlessly that she was an elite recruiter. That was March. Fast forward to October when her recruiting revealed to be worse than Vanderbilt, Auburn, and Alabama's - (Debrasha Powe being her only 2022 recruit) the university didn't feel there was much if any improvement. Ticket sales are WAY down, not even half of an average Vic year. Jessika Carter will not play next year. That's not an if; she WILL NOT play. Hayes sisters might help, but just to keep us from being bottom of the league. They don't trust the replacement assistant, but next year is gonna be what it is..... a year that we're just gonna have to get thru and hopefully won't be as bad as it looks right now.

Next year as in 2022-23?? Because next season is only between 2-3 weeks away, so it's really THIS season now.....

jessika carter isnt play at all??? is she still enrolled at MS State I didnt know her arrest was that serious lol just that she fought somebody and made them bleed which im not surprised at the women is 6'5

jessika carter isnt play at all??? is she still enrolled at MS State I didnt know her arrest was that serious lol just that she fought somebody and made them bleed which im not surprised at the women is 6'5

Even though it was off campus because the victim was also an enrolled student Carter will likely be disciplined by the school as well as the court system. Definitely won’t be allowed to play until a formal disciplinary hearing with the school is completed if that hasn’t happened already. Recommendations for suspension or expulsion from the university are likely in proven physical assault cases.

Often a protective order is issued in these instances that nearly prohibits the individual from even being on campus when the victim is present due to distance requirements. If they have a similar major she wouldn’t be able to attend any of her classes.

Saw stuff like this all the time when I was on the Disciplinary Committee in college.

Even though it was off campus because the victim was also an enrolled student Carter will likely be disciplined by the school as well as the court system. Definitely won’t be allowed to play until a formal disciplinary hearing with the school is completed if that hasn’t happened already. Recommendations for suspension or expulsion from the university are likely in proven physical assault cases.

Often a protective order is issued in these instances that nearly prohibits the individual from even being on campus when the victim is present due to distance requirements. If they have a similar major she wouldn’t be able to attend any of her classes.

Saw stuff like this all the time when I was on the Disciplinary Committee in college.
Yes like the case we had at Tennessee which was a lot milder with Tea Cooper and Jamie Nared. That was a mild fight and she was expelled by the school totally out of the coaches hands.

They have a couple more post player totally inexperienced and will get a tough reception to the SEC.

They have a couple more post player totally inexperienced and will get a tough reception to the SEC.
6'4 Farley has experience, but isn't good enough to be a post anchor. Beyond her, the only other player on the team over 6'2 is 6'5 Charlotte Kohl, who doesn't look like a P5 level player.

If Carter doesn't play, then MSST is sunk this year.

The whole thing seems bizarre. Nikki didn't add any recruits since March, but she did bolster the roster significantly from the portal. If the current players hate her, why didn't they transfer?

And we don't know what Nikki's health situation is, but her comments certainly seemed to imply her cancer had returned...

VN Store

Back