Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

2021-22 Women's Basketball Roster - University of Missouri Athletics

Missouri has a lot of highly ranked players from past Hoopgurlz ratings, but most will expect them to finish in the bottom half of the SEC. They will have the ability to upset some teams with L. Williams, Blackwell a top ten recruit, Frank top 30, and Haley Troup highly regarded recruit that originally signed with SC. They usually beat some of the better SEC teams at home we'll be playing them in Knoxville this season.

Last edited:

Missouri has a lot of highly ranked players from past Hoopgurlz ratings, but most will expect them to finish in the bottom half of the SEC. They will have the ability to upset some teams with L. Williams, Blackwell a top ten recruit, Frank to 30, and Haley Troup highly regarded recruit that originally signed with SC. They usually beat some of the better SEC teams at home we'll be playing them in Knoxville this season.

I do think they’ll finish in the bottom half again. They have some good players but not the right mix. They are very forward heavy. Lots of 6’2” and 6’3” players and she won’t have minutes for all of them. They will have some transfers because a lot of them will have to sit because they need guards on the floor. Due to matchups they will surprise some teams.

They don’t really have the right mix on the perimeter. Dembele will be their PG but she was incredibly erratic last season and does not shoot the 3. Also wasn’t much of a distributor, most of her assists were on fast breaks rather than in the flow of their offense.

Troup will probably split minutes at the point but she is not a PG. She’s pretty much a (very good) set shooter. Not a great handle and not a great distributor to get it to their bigs. Doesn’t have SEC speed. Her best game of the season last year was against us. That was only because we chose not to guard her in the first half as a strategy. She knocked down her shots so we had to pick her up and she didn’t score much after that.

Hansen is a 2 guard, athletic and nice shooter, but again, not the play making guard they need. They would be very dangerous this season if Akira Levy was still there. That type of player is their missing piece this season. I don’t think Dembele can bring that.

Last edited:

Missouri has a lot of highly ranked players from past Hoopgurlz ratings, but most will expect them to finish in the bottom half of the SEC. They will have the ability to upset some teams with L. Williams, Blackwell a top ten recruit, Frank top 30, and Haley Troup highly regarded recruit that originally signed with SC. They usually beat some of the better SEC teams at home we'll be playing them in Knoxville this season.
did they bring back nearly all of their 2020-2021 team?? remember them nearly beating us in SEC play from a barrage of 3 pointers and just couldn't miss until Rennia Davis took over in the 2nd half

Reactions: Volfan2012
did they bring back nearly all of their 2020-2021 team?? remember them nearly beating us in SEC play from a barrage of 3 pointers and just couldn't miss until Rennia Davis took over in the 2nd half
They are tough on their home court not so much on the road. I think they are around number 7 in the league. Frank and Troup are good shooters but quicker players give them fits. Blackwell is the big key she can be up or down miss a lot of easy shots or go off. I think they upset some teams they were supposed to lose to on their home court. I can see about 6 and 10 for them.

Lots about it is interesting.

A) Who replaces her this close to the season? (sounds like the associate HC)

B) What happens with Jessika Carter now?

C) The Hayes sisters?

D) We have no idea if her cancer has returned as it is none of our business. She did not state what the health concern was. Only that she had dealt with similar concerns in the past. It is very inappropriate to assume that is the case until you know for certain. She could be dealing with back problems, mental health issues, autoimmune problems. Who knows.

The statement I read from the school was cold and formal. It wasn’t warm and well wishing. It was the statement an AD puts out when someone resigns to “focus on other endeavors” or to “spend more time with their family.”

They also removed her from the website in record time. Not exactly what you’d expect their athletic department’s first priority to be.

Last year was not great for her. Most of Starkville wanted her gone and they have had problems all off season. Carter’s suspension and I have heard rumors (yes, rumors) that working in the Hayes sisters was not going as well as hoped.

Her health may be the largest component but I have a feeling there is more to this story and we will hear about it over the next few weeks.
No one can work with those sisters.

They are tough on their home court not so much on the road. I think they are around number 7 in the league. Frank and Troup are good shooters but quicker players give them fits. Blackwell is the big key she can be up or down miss a lot of easy shots or go off. I think they upset some teams they were supposed to lose to on their home court. I can see about 6 and 10 for them.

Bingo. They need her to be in better shape and more consistent. Her rebounding improved massively last season because she was playing more small forward and played more as a guard her freshman year. Her shot selection was much better last season so her shooting percentages improved a ton but her scoring output was the same.

She had 83 assists as a freshman but only 39 as a sophomore. Thought that was interesting.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Vandy’s roster this season reminds me a lot of how their teams looked when Balcomb was there. They will have some good guard play this season.

They will be very small inside, their biggest players are two 6’2” freshman. After that they get really small. Will have a hard time guarding interior players and will probably be forced to play a lot of zone.

I’m so glad Newby graduated. She was always one of those players who had her best game against UT. She would hardly produce all season long and then have a massive double double against us.

If Ralph is able to implement a solid system they may surprise a few teams. They are the biggest questions mark for me this season. Along with Auburn and MSST now.

Vandy’s roster this season reminds me a lot of how their teams looked when Balcomb was there. They will have some good guard play this season.

They will be very small inside, their biggest players are two 6’2” freshman. After that they get really small. Will have a hard time guarding interior players and will probably be forced to play a lot of zone.

I’m so glad Newby graduated. She was always one of those players who had her best game against UT. She would hardly produce all season long and then have a massive double double against us.

If Ralph is able to implement a solid system they may surprise a few teams. They are the biggest questions mark for me this season. Along with Auburn and MSST now.
Newby transferred to LSU

Reactions: VolBall09

Newby is at LSU.... now LSU looks really tough

I don’t want to speak to soon, and I hate to say it, but I won’t be shocked if LSU wins the SEC. They have everything they need. If they have all bought in they will be very tough.
Anything is possible but I think that would be extremely unlikely.
I don't see LSU beating South Carolina out for the SEC Championship. I would bet the farm on that one.

Shoot, I do. Kim can out coach Dawn 8 ways to Sunday.

It may come down to which players r better prepared and i think SC will have the edge with their schedule def being more challenging and preparing them better than LSUs.

Sidenote: it's funny how Mulkey tried to get about 3 more players to come with her to LSU and they said no LOL. I don't care if Mulkey ever wins another game because of some previous comments about what went on at Baylor and with rape victims. Yea, I said what i said

It may come down to which players r better prepared and i think SC will have the edge with their schedule def being more challenging and preparing them better than LSUs.

Sidenote: it's funny how Mulkey tried to get about 3 more players to come with her to LSU and they said no LOL. I don't care if Mulkey ever wins another game because of some previous comments about what went on at Baylor and with rape victims. Yea, I said what i said

That’s a fair point of view I respect. I love Kim and always will. She’s a love or hate personality for sure. She speaks her truth though and I much prefer that to all these modern coaches who dance around it. She takes the fallout and criticism head on as well. If you’re gonna be wrong, you’d better be sure about it.

I do agree that SC players will be better prepared. They will have a tough, seasoned squad this year. Mulkey knows basketball though, and she definitely knows defense. I think they will hit SC offense like a buzz saw. Gusters can also go toe to toe with Boston on both ends.

That’s a fair point of view I respect. I love Kim and always will. She’s a love or hate personality for sure. She speaks her truth though and I much prefer that to all these modern coaches who dance around it. She takes the fallout and criticism head on as well. If you’re gonna be wrong, you’d better be sure about it.

I do agree that SC players will be better prepared. They will have a tough, seasoned squad this year. Mulkey knows basketball though, and she definitely knows defense. I think they will hit SC offense like a buzz saw. Gusters can also go toe to toe with Boston on both ends.

I wouldn't mind her personality but when someone tells another person to "punch them in the face" when speaking bad about Baylor during the time of when they clearly failed some female students! It's disgusting i'm glad you love her i have sisters and nieces so imma hard pass on her and hope nothing ever happens to anyone in her family...

anyways back to LSU they should be a top half team but i doubt they will be top 4

Reactions: Lucy and stlvolsfan
The Mercury missed her though. She’s knocking them down from 3. So far the Sky still look like the better team. They have gone cold at the moment and missed a couple of bunnies. They are getting easy buckets though. Mercury aren’t getting anything in their offense. Transition 3s are keeping them in it.

Reactions: mcannon1
She is a black belt but let's be clear she wanted NO parts of copper because copper was gonna give her all the smoke 😂 Sophie was trained in a dojo cooper is from philly and lived a different life lol

Couldn’t see what Sophie said, but Cop didn’t hesitate 😂

That official has seen a fight or two as well. She was in the middle right quick

Reactions: VA_VOLFAN
Really great game so far! Both teams are playing like they want it bad. The officials tightened it up after the Cunningham/Copper brush. A shame, they were really letting them play. Stevens is great defensively for the Sky. She has blocked BG a couple of times.

I’m confused, has Diamond been any good this year? I only watch the WNBA once the playoffs start and I could’ve swore she was playing pretty well for Chicago at one point during the season.

I’m confused, has Diamond been any good this year? I only watch the WNBA once the playoffs start and I could’ve swore she was playing pretty well for Chicago at one point during the season.

She’s in her head. They talked her up a lot at the start of the season. Copper ended up playing much better and has gotten the bulk of the minutes in the playoffs/finals. DD appears to be pouting a bit which is a bummer.

Cunningham also straight up busted her ankles and then hit the pull-up transition three. That was a little hard on her ego I’m sure.

VN Store

Back