Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Just announced on Paul Finebaum Show that Nikki McCray-Penson is stepping down at Mississippi State. Cited “health reasons”

But she wasn’t going to last long there anyway, in all likelihood. There was no excuse for the team she inherited to miss the NCAA tournament.

Particularly inside. They are going to need Owens to be available for 30+ minutes most nights I would guess. She’s also going to need to triple, or better, her output in scoring and rebounding. She averaged 4 points and 2 boards last season.

Unless Leveretter has improved significantly Olivia really has no backup. Dre Edwards cannot guard the post in the SEC. That was established last season. She also had a difficult time scoring in the post. She averaged 6 boards on the season but only 4 in SEC play. She just couldn’t hang with the big girls last season.

Inside game hasn’t been Kentucky’s thing for a while, but I’m still surprised at how thin they are in the post. Just nothing doing there.

I’m actually picking Kentucky to fish 7th (gasp) but I don’t think Howard can carry them. They have a massive rebounding problem and they didn’t really add anything in the off-season. If anything they lost ground in the off-season.

This is EXACTLY how I feel… I’m very much disappointed in the coaching staff this off season

Reactions: VolBall09
What’s “interesting” about this?! She had breast cancer, let’s pray it hasn’t returned!

Lots about it is interesting.

A) Who replaces her this close to the season? (sounds like the associate HC)

B) What happens with Jessika Carter now?

C) The Hayes sisters?

D) We have no idea if her cancer has returned as it is none of our business. She did not state what the health concern was. Only that she had dealt with similar concerns in the past. It is very inappropriate to assume that is the case until you know for certain. She could be dealing with back problems, mental health issues, autoimmune problems. Who knows.

The statement I read from the school was cold and formal. It wasn’t warm and well wishing. It was the statement an AD puts out when someone resigns to “focus on other endeavors” or to “spend more time with their family.”

They also removed her from the website in record time. Not exactly what you’d expect their athletic department’s first priority to be.

Last year was not great for her. Most of Starkville wanted her gone and they have had problems all off season. Carter’s suspension and I have heard rumors (yes, rumors) that working in the Hayes sisters was not going as well as hoped.

Her health may be the largest component but I have a feeling there is more to this story and we will hear about it over the next few weeks.

Last edited:
This is EXACTLY how I feel… I’m very much disappointed in the coaching staff this off season

Yeah I kept waiting for something to happen over there and nothing ever did. They could have used any serviceable big from the portal and had plenty of roster space for one.

What Is interesting? That she's sick or maybe u didn't understand that she's sick

See above. Lots interesting about this. There is nothing wrong with conjecture and interest as it relates to the team and the job.

It is, however, very inappropriate to assume her cancer has returned with no actual knowledge of such a diagnosis.

See above. Lots interesting about this. There is nothing wrong with conjecture and interest as it relates to the team and the job.

It is, however, very inappropriate to assume her cancer has returned with no actual knowledge of such a diagnosis.

While we don't have the medical report i could see why some would assume it's that by her saying

McCray-Penson stated, "Over the past several weeks, I have been faced again with health concerns I had hoped were behind me. In light of these developments, I have decided to step away from coaching in order to devote my full time and energy to addressing those issues. Although I look forward to returning to coaching when I am able, I believe this is the best decision for me and my family at this time. I appreciate the support MSU has shown me, and I will be pulling for the team's success this season."

While it could be anything it's not unreasonable to approach the statement as such with compassion that it could be the case.

For her to say "I'm stepping down as a coach to take care of my health issues" wasn't that clear enough Respectfully...

Particularly inside. They are going to need Owens to be available for 30+ minutes most nights I would guess. She’s also going to need to triple, or better, her output in scoring and rebounding. She averaged 4 points and 2 boards last season.

Unless Leveretter has improved significantly Olivia really has no backup. Dre Edwards cannot guard the post in the SEC. That was established last season. She also had a difficult time scoring in the post. She averaged 6 boards on the season but only 4 in SEC play. She just couldn’t hang with the big girls last season.

Inside game hasn’t been Kentucky’s thing for a while, but I’m still surprised at how thin they are in the post. Just nothing doing there.

I’m actually picking Kentucky to fish 7th (gasp) but I don’t think Howard can carry them. They have a massive rebounding problem and they didn’t really add anything in the off-season. If anything they lost ground in the off-season.
remember that time Rennia nearly outrebounded the whole kentucky team be herself lol

heard someone say a player got injured so Kentucky is down to 9 active that is gonna be tough
Puts the pressure on as the season progresses as some of those players aren't ready for a lot of SEC minutes. That means the starters will have to play a lot more than expected and that is hard game after game. I think it affected us some last season as we got to the end of the season.

Reactions: VolBall09
While we don't have the medical report i could see why some would assume it's that by her saying

McCray-Penson stated, "Over the past several weeks, I have been faced again with health concerns I had hoped were behind me. In light of these developments, I have decided to step away from coaching in order to devote my full time and energy to addressing those issues. Although I look forward to returning to coaching when I am able, I believe this is the best decision for me and my family at this time. I appreciate the support MSU has shown me, and I will be pulling for the team's success this season."

While it could be anything it's not unreasonable to approach the statement as such with compassion that it could be the case.

That’s the statement I read. Again, no mention. Officially, we do not know.

And my point again was that it is an interesting situation for the MSST program. Not so much herself. 1908 is the one who insinuated it somehow related to her when I commented.

“Interesting.”

That’s the statement I read. Again, no mention. Officially, we do not know.

And my point again was that it is an interesting situation for the MSST program. Not so much herself. 1908 is the one who insinuated it somehow related to her when I commented.

“Interesting.”

And to your point i was explaining how a LV fan might assume or relate it back her having a reoccurrence which i hope and pray it isn't.

I hear you saying officially we don't know... i also saw how you related that to her having a not so great season and how it could be something else. I don't think I have read many statements that disclosed the illnesses up front and i might not have even associated it with the lack of success her first year.

Not an argument on my end at all... Again, just explaining a possible point of view.

Enjoy your evening and praying for Nikki!

Very interesting ! Prayers for whatever she is going through!

Very sad to hear that about Nikki. They need to find the right coach for this group. They could lose three to transfer just in the Hayes sisters. If one goes, I think they all go. I think Coach FLO would do really well with the type of players they have at Mississippi State. She knows the SEC and with the athletes they have, she could have this team press and play defense 40 minutes a game and they might be successful that way.

Last edited:
Very sad to hear that about Nikki. They need to find the right coach for this group. They could lose three to transfer just in the Hayes sisters. If one goes, I think they all go. I think Coach FLO would do really well with the type of players they have at Mississippi. With the athletes they have, she could have this team press and play defense 40 minutes a game and they might be successful that way.
Praying for Nikki, love all our Lady Vol’s. This Cancer is some bad stuff.

Following a highly successful coach like NIkki did is always extremely tough if you don't duplicate the previous coaches success immediately. Maybe without her medical issues she could have done that but fans don't give you any grace periods.

Its always better to be the coach that follows the coach after the legend coach left. Your success rate chances are much higher.

VN Store

Back