Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

That statement was disrespectful to Griner like her play wasn't the reason
That was a great game. Not a big Tarausi or Griner fan. Love my burnt orange and white, however, Diana and Brit both played great games in that final. I don't think anyone, even on this site, if they watched the game can disagree with that. J.S. I am looking forward to Chicago and Candace Parker cleaning their clock, Starting on Sunday

Taurasi lead them but Griner didn't Lead them rite? She scored 28 and has been their top scorer
Leading the team does not always mean scoring most points. She got the ball to Griner instructed her teammates also to get the ball to Griner. It was obvious in the 2nd half DT did what she needed to do and the team got behind her that’s what leaders do.

2021-22 Women's Basketball Roster - Florida Gators
Florida has a lot of excellent perimeter players not much inside still will be a tough team to handle on a given night. Florida fired the abusive coach and promoted his enabler we'll see how it goes for them not cleaning house this season.

Will agree they have weapons on the perimeter also 6-4 Duth and 6-4 Toonders give them some size on the block. Duth went to camp this summer and she really looks good in practice there coach said. If they get production out of Duth and Toonders some teams will be in for a long night with Smith, Briggs, Moore shooting lights out.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Leading the team does not always mean scoring most points. She got the ball to Griner instructed her teammates also to get the ball to Griner. It was obvious in the 2nd half DT did what she needed to do and the team got behind her that’s what leaders do.

Scoring a lot is important. Credit to Griner. Leadership is more than scoring.

LAS VEGAS -- The biggest reason for the Phoenix Mercury's come-from-behind 87-84 win over the Las Vegas Aces to clinch a spot in the WNBA Finals on Friday night?

No, not Shey Peddy knocking down two of three free throws with 4.8 seconds to play to give the Mercury a two-point lead, though they helped.

Not even Brittney Griner's block of an A'ja Wilson driving shot that would have tied the game with 0.7 seconds remaining.

Ask Mercury coach Sandy Brondello, and the answer is obvious.

"In the fourth quarter, we have Diana Taurasi and they don't," she said, borrowing a decades-old yarn by Taurasi's college coach at Connecticut. "I'm stealing that off Geno [Auriemma], but that's what it comes down to.
"Diana making shots, that's what changed it. That gave us hope. You know, we're down by eight [points] at the start of the fourth quarter and Diana gave us hope."

Reactions: PG1
2021-22 Women's Basketball Roster - University of Georgia Athletics

Georgia looks to be one of the top teams in the league an excellent freshman class coming in and several top returnees.

The two super seniors who didn't go pro and returned definitely help their roster. They can go BIG for sure. I do believe that Gabby Conelly was a big part in their success last year and allowed Que to do what she did and was the head of the snake AND she averaged 20.5 against us in two games last year. That was a senior who ran the team for so many years and had the experience and the grit.

Another missing piece is Maya Caldwell. She was a senior starter for them and could add in scoring.

Their schedule is OK and their SEC schedule looks to be one of the more favorable ones (2x LSU, Mizzu, FL) while no game is a gimme in the SEC it will be interesting.

Georgia looks to be one of the top teams in the league an excellent freshman class coming in and several top returnees.

I think they’ll actually finish a little behind where they did last season. They have some talented younger players who haven’t gotten the reps they need because of Staiti and Morrison etc continuing to return. I think super seniors coming back will hurt some of these teams in the long run.

I don’t think any of their super seniors will bring more to the table than they have in the past. Morrison will likely be asked to handle the ball some which will take away from her scoring opportunities. Coombs will likely be their PG but she is not at all the scoring threat Connally was. She’ll find scoring opportunities even more difficult with increased defensive attention unless she’s added a 3 point shot. She had no 3 point shot at all last season. Pretty decent facilitator and a great defender, but just not involved in the offense.

Staiti just doesn’t impress me that much. She improved her offensive game, but she is still ineffective against equal or greater size.

Connally’s 3 point shooting will be missed. She had 52 made threes last season. That was almost 30 more than anyone else on the team.

I’m still boiling mad about our games against them last season. Especially the one in Knoxville. We were clearly the better team but took our foot off the gas and totally blew it. Coach was so pissed about that game. She never stopped mentioning it all season. I think we match up much better with them this season and will be able to better defend their guard play. The second game we played we were hobbled by injuries and had a few slowed up players who just couldn’t keep people in front. Suarez, Horston and Walker were all pretty banged up and that’s who we really needed defensively against them.

I think they’ll actually finish a little behind where they did last season. They have some talented younger players who haven’t gotten the reps they need because of Staiti and Morrison etc continuing to return. I think super seniors coming back will hurt some of these teams in the long run.

I don’t think any of their super seniors will bring more to the table than they have in the past. Morrison will likely be asked to handle the ball some which will take away from her scoring opportunities. Coombs will likely be their PG but she is not at all the scoring threat Connally was. She’ll find scoring opportunities even more difficult with increased defensive attention unless she’s added a 3 point shot. She had no 3 point shot at all last season. Pretty decent facilitator and a great defender, but just not involved in the offense.

Staiti just doesn’t impress me that much. She improved her offensive game, but she is still ineffective against equal or greater size.

Connally’s 3 point shooting will be missed. She had 52 made threes last season. That was almost 30 more than anyone else on the team.

I’m still boiling mad about our games against them last season. Especially the one in Knoxville. We were clearly the better team but took our foot off the gas and totally blew it. Coach was so pissed about that game. She never stopped mentioning it all season. I think we match up much better with them this season and will be able to better defend their guard play. The second game we played we were hobbled by injuries and had a few slowed up players who just couldn’t keep people in front. Suarez, Horston and Walker were all pretty banged up and that’s who we really needed defensively against them.
I tend to agree unless their freshmen players Richardson and Hollingshead can fill some of the void of departed players. Both were highly ranked freshmen. I look for them to have a winning SEC record maybe something like 9 and 7.

Last edited:
Reactions: VolBall09

Conally went pro??

Reactions: VA_VOLFAN
Connally didn’t go pro. She is focused on finishing her Masters before resuming basketball. Tineya will add a lot to UGA mid season. She will join the team in November. If you go to Tineya Hilton’s Instagram page you will see her game there. Was a top 30 player in the 2021 class. She can score it at all three levels, can shoot it from the perimeter well and really pushes tempo. Will alleviate the sting of not having Gabby this season. Depending on how our freshman adjusts, Georgia should surprise a lot of people and finish in the upper echelon of the SEC.

Connally didn’t go pro. She is focused on finishing her Masters before resuming basketball. Tineya will add a lot to UGA mid season. She will join the team in November. If you go to Tineya Hilton’s Instagram page you will see her game there. Was a top 30 player in the 2021 class. She can score it at all three levels, can shoot it from the perimeter well and really pushes tempo. Will alleviate the sting of not having Gabby this season. Depending on how our freshman adjusts, Georgia should surprise a lot of people and finish in the upper echelon of the SEC.

I must be mistaken ... did she not sign a pro contract overseas or was the tweet I saw that she signed with a pro manager.

It's weird she is working on a masters but not playing ?

Lastly, you expect a freshmen to come in and make an impact over a 4 year player?

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
I must be mistaken ... did she not sign a pro contract overseas or was the tweet I saw that she signed with a pro manager.

It's weird she is working on a masters but not playing ?

Lastly, you expect a freshmen to come in and make an impact over a 4 year player?

I define an impact as making plays on the defensive and offensive end in some capacity. Not carrying the offensive load at all, but just being able to contribute. I call carrying the offensive load, a major impact. I thought that Que and Connally made impacts their freshman year and I expect Hilton, Richardson and Hollingshead to impact the team on a similar level.

Yeah Connally placed her name in the WNBA draft she rescinded her name before the deadline and was actually contemplating making a return to UGA. She decided to just focus on school. Maya Caldwell was the only one that signed with an agent and she is killing it overseas right now.

I define an impact as making plays on the defensive and offensive end in some capacity. Not carrying the offensive load at all, but just being able to contribute. I call carrying the offensive load, a major impact. I thought that Que and Connally made impacts their freshman year and I expect Hilton, Richardson and Hollingshead to impact the team on a similar level.

Yeah Connally placed her name in the WNBA draft she rescinded her name before the deadline and was actually contemplating making a return to UGA. She decided to just focus on school. Maya Caldwell was the only one that signed with an agent and she is killing it overseas right now.

Gotcha thanks for the clarity... UGA would have had final four caliber had both of those young ladies returned !

Reactions: stlvolsfan
FBXq8n_XsAAQHX7
Rank #3 in the class of 2023 her game is a little like Breanna Stewart

I said this last year as well. Georgia has all of the pieces they need to be a very competitive team this year. They have size and quality players at every position. Their 5th-year players Stalti and Morrison along with a couple of really good freshmen will make Georgia a very dangerous team this year. The SEC is going to be really competitive, especially with the 5-year players that are sprinkled in on most of the teams.

I define an impact player as one that has to be considered when you are setting up your game-plan for that team

Reactions: StorrsCentral

Chicago Sky 91 Phoenix 77 I already know which team is better coached. Who takes all their starters out with almost five minutes left in the game? Copper and Vandersloot played tremendous games. Dolson off the bench was awesome. Candace was her usual dynamic force.
. Dolson was a beast. Phoenix had no answer for her today.

VN Store

Back