Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Dana is a two time ACC POY. I think she deserves to be in the conversation as much as Smith or Howard.

I don't question for a second that Dana was deserving of a conference POY award for prior years. I would also agree that someone winning such an award would automatically be on the long list of players being considered for this year overall POY. But you obviously know that NPOY is not a lifetime achievement award , it is supposed to be based on their performance this year. While I think her achievement this year is worthy of being named to national teams as one of the best players in the country, we are talking about THE best player in the country. In my opinion, not showing up for three conference tournament games eliminates you from that discussion. Obviously, some people disagree and I'm trying to understand why.

I don't question for a second that Dana was deserving of a conference POY award for prior years. I would also agree that someone winning such an award would automatically be on the long list of players being considered for this year overall POY. But you obviously know that NPOY is not a lifetime achievement award , it is supposed to be based on their performance this year. While I think her achievement this year is worthy of being named to national teams as one of the best players in the country, we are talking about THE best player in the country. In my opinion, not showing up for three conference tournament games eliminates you from that discussion. Obviously, some people disagree and I'm trying to understand why.
She was ACC POY this year too, so she's not just coasting by on her prior accomplishments. She was the best player on a team that was top 5 for most of the season in spite of not having a lot of experience. She's been a very consistent player on offense or defense all season. Even if she didn't play well in the ACCT, Louisville still made the final. I don't see how those games (2 of which Louisville won) should be held against her.

Reactions: stlvolsfan
Will Westbrook, Williams and Ono from UConn come back next year? Will any of the players seeing little playing time transfer?

So is South Carolina and Stanford the only 2 teams that are close to even with UConn on talent next year?

Will Westbrook, Williams and Ono from UConn come back next year? Will any of the players seeing little playing time transfer?

So is South Carolina and Stanford the only 2 teams that are close to even with UConn on talent next year?

depends... Does Baylor come back with all their players AND add to the roster through the portal? Baylor was talented and adding a player or two could put them ever the top

Be interesting to see who the queen bee is next year in Storres(sp).
Paige and Azzi have been plotting to play together for years. I don't think Paige minds if the spotlight moves from her to Azzi...if she's good enough. I honestly can't imagine UConn being so fortunate that they have back to back freshmen of that caliber. I'm more interested in seeing if Azzi takes Christyn's starting role.

Williams and ONO are rising seniors. I see no reason they won't come back. If UConn wins the title, I think Westbrook is gone...but I wouldn't be surprised if she came back. If she did, she might have to settle for a role off the bench. The sad thing is that UConn has another pair of top recruits coming in for '22, so they won't miss the departing seniors next year.

UConn, Stanford, and SC have the deepest, most talented teams based on current rosters and incoming freshmen, followed by Maryland, Texas and North Carolina. The portal is the wild card depending on who lands where.

im talking about NPOY, you are talking AP vote......
I'm talking about the AP NPOY award. 30 members vote. This year, 21 picked Paige for NPOY, 4 picked Dana and the remaining five picked all different players...one of whom was Clark.

Megan Gustafson won several NPOY awards her senior year (AP, Naismith, USBWA). But I stand corrected...I didn't realize Iowa was a top 10 team going into the tournament.

Williams and Ododa-Nelson will not be age-eligible for the 2021 WNBA draft. They will be back.

Paige and Azzi have been plotting to play together for years. I don't think Paige minds if the spotlight moves from her to Azzi...if she's good enough. I honestly can't imagine UConn being so fortunate that they have back to back freshmen of that caliber. I'm more interested in seeing if Azzi takes Christyn's starting role.

I think Westbrook will leave and Fudd will start in her spot. Williams will still start in her senior season.

And yes, Fudd is that good. That will be very scary.

Reactions: Winston Smith
depends... Does Baylor come back with all their players AND add to the roster through the portal? Baylor was talented and adding a player or two could put them ever the top
Kim has been very successful with transfers so I expect her to retool with several players.

Williams and ONO are rising seniors. I see no reason they won't come back. If UConn wins the title, I think Westbrook is gone...but I wouldn't be surprised if she came back. If she did, she might have to settle for a role off the bench. The sad thing is that UConn has another pair of top recruits coming in for '22, so they won't miss the departing seniors next year.

UConn, Stanford, and SC have the deepest, most talented teams based on current rosters and incoming freshmen, followed by Maryland, Texas and North Carolina. The portal is the wild card depending on who lands where.

I am pretty sure that if UConn wins the championship, E will be gone. She will take the advice of Morgan Tuck that with bad knees you don't know how long you can play so its better to go pro when you can. Fudd or possibly Caroline Ducharme will take E's spot. Ducharme just beat Fudd by tiebreaker in the American Family 3 point shooting contest and is 4 inches taller. I expect Paige's points to go down and her assists to go up. She will probably move to Nika Muhl's spot on the point.

Reactions: mcannon1
Anyone that follows me knows I'm far more objective and fair when it comes to Geno and UConn than most here, to the point I've been accused of being an "undercover" Husky fans (and some other teams too, I lose track).

Baylor got screwed. All the rationalization and weak attempts at justification from all the former Huskies and fans doesn't change that...
Go to the Boneyard and look at the photos of Baylor players making hard fouls against UConn players. Ono got tripped and nothing was called. Do you think that last one was the only missed call? Your statement is ridiculous.

Go to the Boneyard and look at the photos of Baylor players making hard fouls against UConn players. Ono got tripped and nothing was called. Do you think that last one was the only missed call? Your statement is ridiculous.

I don't know how many times this needs repeating. No one gives a s*** how you, or NeedOrange, or the Boneyard, or Renee Montgomery or whoever else's testimony you want to keep parading out here to justify it. EVERYONE, except apparently those with blue and white blinders on, could clearly see an obvious foul. It was the NATIONAL story the following day and seriously marred what should have been an instant classic. If that triggers you, GTFO and go whine about it on the Boneyard...

VN Store

Back