Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Wait, so a former Husky doesn't think Baylor got screwed???

Thanks for sharing that scorching hot take...

@DarthVol , I just wanted you to learn something about basketball. But, once again instead of thanking me you take the snarky road. that's OK though because I know deep down you love Geno with all your tiny heart. ;)

I think both are a little better than UConn. Both can give UConn a lot of trouble inside and both have pretty good good guard play. Probably enough to slow Paige down. Our inside game is pretty good and we gave them a scare but Stanford and S. Carolina have much better guard play and outside shootig than we do IMO. UConn is a little suspect this year.
You do realize UConn already beat SC don't you? Yes, SC is better now but so is UConn. However, I feel certain either team will be hard for UConn to beat.

I expect it’s hard to lose when ESPN is in your corner and force feeding the nation on why she’s the greatest.
Especially when she lives up to the hype. She had a ton of pressure and expectations coming in, and she's lived up to every one.
Against whom? The Big Least?
Against everyone and anyone her school arranged for her to play against. She has no control over scheduling. Does not appear to me she was stat padding against cupcakes; I've seen no falloff in her performance against top teams.

I'm surprised a freshman won, and I don't doubt UConn's Queen of the Walk perch had a role to play. But that doesn't mean she's not deserving. IMO a case could be made for Evans and for Baylor's Smith, but to me Paige is a more complete player.

If SC is able to get past Stanford I like our chances if facing UConn. If one of those two fouls on the last play were called there would have been no overtime loss at Storrs even though SC didn't play well. Since the A&M loss SC's defense has really come into it own. So much so it's worth listening to Vic's comments on the Texas post game presser. Based on the recruiting classes coming in and what's currently on campus, the next few years should give us some epic battles between SC and UConn.

Plus remember that South Carolina did NOT play well in that first game, and it still went to overtime. Henderson had what STILL is her worst game of the season in that game, with turnovers and poor decisions. But she wasn't the only one. The chances of SC having just as poor of an executed game a second time on a neutral court is minimal.....

I think any of the three one seeds left have an equal chance of winning. As far as some people not playing well for SC in the SC - Uconn game, I believe Williams did not play well or others on the Uconn side. Beckers had to step up and didn't have her best either. It is a coin toss at this point. However, I think SC has a harder road to NC now playing Stanford. Uconn played Baylor and was the difficult game on that side of the bracket as they were the fourth team that had an equal chance of winning it all.

Reactions: 1reVOLver
Agree with the first post. It was painful to see Geno pass Pat, but since he has I've decided not to miss watching his greatness live. Each to his own of course, but for me it would be like being a bball fan in the age of Wooden but ignoring him bc of a past rivalry. Not only is Geno the x and o king of all time, but his ability to have his teams consistently focused and on point executing the game plan is remarkable. I probably admire that so much bc its exactly what the LVs struggle so mightily with. Of course the ridiculous amount of talent he has doesn't hurt in that effort . IMO Paige is every bit the player she was heralded to be. Didn't expect it, but I find this UConn team really fun to watch.
For me, Some of the teams in other sports that I root for was the rival of the dynasty of that era. I don't look back at them with some form of envy and admiration. I guess it didn't help that I have lived around and have been in some heated arguments in real life with fans of those teams too.

I expect Bueckers to win and sweep every award that she's up for.

All these people acting like Paige isn't any good...each and every one of you would be salivating if she was on Tennessee. Yes, she is that good and I wish she was a LV. She's had an incredible year by upperclassmen standards, let alone as a freshman. As good as Dana, Rhyne and others have been, Paige is very deserving of this accomplishment.

IMO a case could be made for Evans and for Baylor's Smith, but to me Paige is a more complete player.

I fully understand Smith, who has been awesome, but I'm perplexed by the mention of Evans. A very good player, don't get me wrong, she was awesome against Oregon and very good against Stanford, but very so-so in the conference tournament. I pretty much wrote her off as a NPOY candidate over those three games. What am I missing? (I know, the rest of her season, but I think NPOY means showing up for the conference tournament as well.)

Reactions: Winston Smith
IMO a case could be made for Evans and for Baylor's Smith, but to me Paige is a more complete player.

I fully understand Smith, who has been awesome, but I'm perplexed by the mention of Evans. A very good player, don't get me wrong, she was awesome against Oregon and very good against Stanford, but very so-so in the conference tournament. I pretty much wrote her off as a NPOY candidate over those three games. What am I missing? (I know, the rest of her season, but I think NPOY means showing up for the conference tournament as well.)
Dana is a two time ACC POY. I think she deserves to be in the conversation as much as Smith or Howard.

Clark? For real? I thought that got decided on national TV one on one recently. Clark is great and I'd kill for a PG with half her ability, but PB took her this year.

Swap teams and let's compare.

Harder to score when the other team can put their focus on shutting you down. Easier when all four teammates are legitimate scoring threats.

VN Store

Back