Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Arkansas at Georgia tonight would love to see an Arkansas win.

They’re due for sure. Would love to see them knock off UGA. Would help us out a good bit. We need to dominate them at the re-match. Want to see Ark get going again so that win still helps us out for post-season.

Arkansas seems to be having some Chemistry problems. Not sure their guards are gelling well together. Several times recently where I’ve noticed Slocum with the ball and Ramirez wide open on the backside and Slocum wouldn’t even look at her. Ramirez is a deadly 3 point shooter and according to Neighbors she is their emotional leader.

Defensive communication has been terrible too, a hallmark of teams that aren’t getting along. Defensively they have to sort something out UGA is a great game for them to re-group. They matchup well with UGA and will be able to guard their perimeter players 1 on 1. UGA doesn’t bring as much size in the post as they have see lately. A welcome reprieve for Arkansas I’m sure. Staiti is big but she doesn’t play as big as a Boston or Key.

They’re due for sure. Would love to see them knock off UGA. Would help us out a good bit. We need to dominate them at the re-match. Want to see Ark get going again so that win still helps us out for post-season.

Arkansas seems to be having some Chemistry problems. Not sure their guards are gelling well together. Several times recently where I’ve noticed Slocum with the ball and Ramirez wide open on the backside and Slocum wouldn’t even look at her. Ramirez is a deadly 3 point shooter and according to Neighbors she is their emotional leader.

Defensive communication has been terrible too, a hallmark of teams that aren’t getting along. Defensively they have to sort something out UGA is a great game for them to re-group. They matchup well with UGA and will be able to guard their perimeter players 1 on 1. UGA doesn’t bring as much size in the post as they have see lately. A welcome reprieve for Arkansas I’m sure. Staiti is big but she doesn’t play as big as a Boston or Key.
People were saying that Slocum would be better for the team than Tolefree and I don't think that is true. Tolefree was a better three point shooter and she could knock them down from 35 feet where most teams didn't even guard. I think her loss has hurt them quite a bit this season. I watched games last year where she would knock down threes well beyond the three point line. She was a 40 percent three point shooter. Slocum going for 36 percent but the big difference is Tolefree took 225 threes last season Slocum only 79 thus far so you see taking 225 and making 40.50 percent is a lot more offensive production for Arkansas last season.

People were saying that Slocum would be better for the team than Tolefree and I don't think that is true. Tolefree was a better three point shooter and she could knock them down from 35 feet where most teams didn't even guard. I think her loss has hurt them quite a bit this season. I watched games last year where she would knock down threes well beyond the three point line. She was a 40 percent three point shooter. Slocum going for 36 percent but the big difference is Tolefree took 225 threes last season Slocum only 79 thus far so you see taking 225 and making 40.50 percent is a lot more offensive production for Arkansas last season.

Yep! I agree, Tolfree was an excellent player and a real spark for them. Her deep 3s were always timely and quick. Slocum dribbles too much and then finally takes a tough contested shot. Tolfree wasn’t afraid to catch and shoot from 30 and that suites the pace Neighbors wants more. She also played more active defense than Slocum.

Tolfree was a Lacey Goldwire pickup when she was at Arkansas. She really has an eye for guard play. Also played a role in recruiting Chelsea Dungee, and Kathleen Doyle to Iowa. I think our guard play is going to improve a lot with her recruiting.

Thinking the ranking services need to update some things this season. Maybe just temporarily. As up and down as it’s been across the board it doesn’t make sense to me to leave teams ranked where they are just because they haven’t played. If you’re outside of the top 10 and miss 3 consecutive games I think you should drop from the rankings. Or at least drop proportional to a loss.

They are being rewarded for not playing and as the season goes along it’s less and less likely those games get made up unless they extend the season. Which I think we will hear about soon.

Take South Florida for instance. They have one quality win on the season over a MSST team who has been on the slide recently. SF hasn’t played since January 13th and they haven’t played a ranked opponent since 12/5. Why they’re in the Top 25 is beyond me.

Thinking the ranking services need to update some things this season. Maybe just temporarily. As up and down as it’s been across the board it doesn’t make sense to me to leave teams ranked where they are just because they haven’t played. If you’re outside of the top 10 and miss 3 consecutive games I think you should drop from the rankings. Or at least drop proportional to a loss.

They are being rewarded for not playing and as the season goes along it’s less and less likely those games get made up unless they extend the season. Which I think we will hear about soon.

Take South Florida for instance. They have one quality win on the season over a MSST team who has been on the slide recently. SF hasn’t played since January 13th and they haven’t played a ranked opponent since 12/5. Why they’re in the Top 25 is beyond me.
Do you think that teams that win close games against unranked teams should be punished in the rankings? I don't think voters really look at that.

Do you think that teams that win close games against unranked teams should be punished in the rankings? I don't think voters really look at that.

What part of “the ranking services need to update some things this season” did you not understand?

The point of my post was that I do not agree with how they’re doing it. Particularly this season. It’s antiquated and rewards teams for A) not playing B) playing outmatched opponents.

And we’ve been through this. Feel free to not respond to my posts. It’s really not hard. As you’ve noticed I ignore you about 98% of the time. Now you’ll respond to every one of my posts for about 3 weeks while I ignore you. Fun wasting your time.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
That is why the polls really don't mean much to me. Much more into the Net Rankings as that will decide the seedings in an NCAA Tourney. Right now looking at them Tennessee would be a five seed. We have to win the next two probably the next three and still may drop a slot of two in the Net All the teams we play coming up have low Net Rankings making them must wins.

That is why the polls really don't mean much to me. Much more into the Net Rankings as that will decide the seedings in an NCAA Tourney. Right now looking at them Tennessee would be a five seed. We have to win the next two probably the next three and still may drop a slot of two in the Net All the teams we play coming up have low Net Rankings making them must wins.

That’s what I’ve been watching as well. For all I care they could do away with the AP poll and just replace it with the NET. I like the Coaches poll because it’s a bit more objective.

Reactions: Volfan2012
What part of “the ranking services need to update some things this season” did you not understand?

The point of my post was that I do not agree with how they’re doing it. Particularly this season. It’s antiquated and rewards teams for A) not playing B) playing outmatched opponents.

And we’ve been through this. Feel free to not respond to my posts. It’s really not hard. As you’ve noticed I ignore you about 98% of the time. Now you’ll respond to everyone one of my posts for about 3 weeks while I ignore you. Fun wasting your time.

Wow. It was a simple question. Have a nice day.

Wow. It was a simple question. Have a nice day.

I would love to interact with you, but history has shown that will devolve into drama within a few posts. You’re incapable of having normal interactions with pretty much everyone on the board. As we’ve all seen time and time again you’re really only interested in stirring the pot.

Reactions: mikey2smart
I would love to interact with you, but history has shown that will devolve into drama within a few posts. You’re incapable of having normal interactions with pretty much everyone on the board. As we’ve all seen time and time again you’re really only interested in stirring the pot.

I disagree. I have normal interactions with most posters here. I have posted her the last couple of weeks after that crazy blowup and no issues. I ask you one simple question and....

I get it now. I won't respond to any of your posts.

And no, I don't believe you would love to interact with me. Otherwise you would have just answered the simple question. With Louisville, NC State and South Carolina coming to close to losing to unranked teams, would you have their ranking impacted by that? That was it.

So, in other words, have a nice day.

I'm with you in that some elements of the ranking system needs to be updated including SOS impact.

With Louisville, NC State and South Carolina coming to close to losing to unranked teams, would you have their ranking impacted by that?

I don't think it's a formula that teams move up or down based on close games with unranked team. NC State for example should get a pass for the VT game given that they were playing without their best player, but with Louisville, NCST and UConn all unbeaten and splitting the #1 ranking votes, I can see some movement of votes their based on perception as to who is the better team.

Once you get to the teams outside the top 8 or so, I honestly don't think voters are going to look at scores...unless in situations like yesterday where you had a lower ranked team blowing out a top 12 team. I can see that carrying more weight for voters to move Tennessee up compared to routine but expected wins for teams around them.

I don't think it's a formula that teams move up or down based on close games with unranked team. NC State for example should get a pass for the VT game given that they were playing without their best player, but with Louisville, NCST and UConn all unbeaten and splitting the #1 ranking votes, I can see some movement of votes their based on perception as to who is the better team.

Once you get to the teams outside the top 8 or so, I honestly don't think voters are going to look at scores...unless in situations like yesterday where you had a lower ranked team blowing out a top 12 team. I can see that carrying more weight for voters to move Tennessee up compared to routine but expected wins for teams around them.
I forgot about NC State missing their star player. Makes a big difference and they still won, so credit to them.

Louisville should have lost that game. They certainly didn't look like a No. 1 team.

Thanks.

I disagree. I have normal interactions with most posters here. I have posted her the last couple of weeks after that crazy blowup and no issues. I ask you one simple question and....

I get it now. I won't respond to any of your posts.

And no, I don't believe you would love to interact with me. Otherwise you would have just answered the simple question. With Louisville, NC State and South Carolina coming to close to losing to unranked teams, would you have their ranking impacted by that? That was it.

So, in other words, have a nice day.

If that was your question why not ask me that? Instead you like to ask a non-specific question and then attack the other poster when they don’t come up with what you were thinking.

“Do you think that teams that win close games against unranked teams should be punished in the rankings?”

And

“With Louisville, NC State and South Carolina coming to close to losing to unranked teams, would you have their ranking impacted by that?”

Are NOT the same question.

The first one is just bait to stir the pot. The second question you posed would have gotten a thoughtful, specific answer.

And for the record, yes. I do think it should impact their ranking. Which was my original point, that I believe they need to re-evaluate how they rank teams. Schedule should matter. Particularly in a year like this where the schedules have been nuts.

Reactions: mcannon1
I forgot about NC State missing their star player. Makes a big difference and they still won, so credit to them.

Louisville should have lost that game. They certainly didn't look like a No. 1 team.

Thanks.
I also think voters are going to be more forgiving of close calls like Louisville had because of the start-stop-start environment all of the teams are in. They won, and I don't think the majority voters will penalize them (although I could see of them switching their votes)

I also think voters are going to be more forgiving of close calls like Louisville had because of the start-stop-start environment all of the teams are in. They won, and I don't think the majority voters will penalize them (although I could see of them switching their votes)
Yeah, in fact in my own mind I give teams a break because of Covid. It's a really weird year.

Reactions: creekdipper
That was an astounding game flow. Clemson dominated the first half and had a 25 point lead at halftime. Syracuse came roaring back and tied it up to go to overtime. One might think the momentum would give Syracuse the edge, but Clemson scored 16 in the overtime period to seal the win.

That was an astounding game flow. Clemson dominated the first half and had a 25 point lead at halftime. Syracuse came roaring back and tied it up to go to overtime. One might think the momentum would give Syracuse the edge, but Clemson scored 16 in the overtime period to seal the win.

Amanda Butler is tough as nails. Her teams tend to take on her identity. Clemson is a dangerous team this season. Much like we were a few years ago. They’re good enough when they play well to beat about anyone but then they’ll lay an egg against a terrible team the next game out.

Also enjoyed her Florida teams. They played really hard.

Amanda Butler is tough as nails. Her teams tend to take on her identity. Clemson is a dangerous team this season. Much like we were a few years ago. They’re good enough when they play well to beat about anyone but then they’ll lay an egg against a terrible team the next game out.

Also enjoyed her Florida teams. They played really hard.
If she could've recruited better she would still be at Florida and a dominant factor in the SEC. Excellent coach never had enough talent to get it done in the talent laden SEC.

If she could've recruited better she would still be at Florida and a dominant factor in the SEC. Excellent coach never had enough talent to get it done in the talent laden SEC.

Agreed, she’s having a similar issue at Clemson. She’s a great coach but I’m not sure she’s the most appealing coach to play for. She has some great assistants on her staff. If they can get some players she’ll have Clemson toward the top of the ACC.

Her player development at UF wasn’t great either. She brought in Ronni Williams who was an excellent recruit. Ronni never got to where she could play more than about 20 minutes a game due to fouls though. I remember her putting up some crazy numbers but it would be in about 18 minutes of play with 5 fouls. For four years that never got a bit better. Actually think Ronni’s non-development played a part in Butler being let go at Florida.

Ronni actually grew up literally next door to my aunt and uncle and I know her dad was a big part of why she never got any better. He was a baller back in the day and felt he knew better than Coach Butler and undermined her every step of the way.

VN Store

Back