Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

VolBall09

I thought I would create a new thread to avoid having many different posts about non-lady vol news. I greatly enjoyed the non-Lady Vol thread for 18-19, a big thanks to whomever created that one. I love having fun discussion about other teams, players and how they may relate to the Lady Vols. Lets have another great year of Women's ball!

That is a win for CAL in my opinion. Hopefully they find a good replacement, I was never impressed with Gottlieb to be honest. She had one great season with carry over players from Boyle and steadily declined after that. No confidence in interviews and her teams were consistently good in the non-con games and then got clobbered in PAC-12 play. Not unlike UT the last few years in the SEC. Its also kinda chicken-s**t to jump ship this season, she had nobody coming back with Anigwe graduating and Smith transferring. Wish her the best, but I don't think she's the best ambassador they could have hired out of the women's ranks. Just my personal opinions though, thanks for sharing!

That is a win for CAL in my opinion. Hopefully they find a good replacement, I was never impressed with Gottlieb to be honest. She had one great season with carry over players from Boyle and steadily declined after that. No confidence in interviews and her teams were consistently good in the non-con games and then got clobbered in PAC-12 play. Not unlike UT the last few years in the SEC. Its also kinda chicken-s**t to jump ship this season, she had nobody coming back with Anigwe graduating and Smith transferring. Wish her the best, but I don't think she's the best ambassador they could have hired out of the women's ranks. Just my personal opinions though, thanks for sharing!

Wonder if Cal has contacted Holly yet.

Watching old games of UT women’s basket on SEC TV. So enjoyable to see the game being played with good fundamentals and athleticism! I sure do miss these days!!!!
Here's to y'all's quick return to those days, except...

{old man yells at clouds} Stay off my (Baylor's) grass!😜{old man yells at clouds}.

Should be plenty of room for both of us, though. 👍

Maybe there was something about the way MD recruits its players. It’s a self imposed violation and punishment however something went down because they lost a scholarship for the next 3 seasons and reduction in visits. Not a killer penalty but definitely one to curve the NCAA punishment and sends a message. People wonder why UT wouldn’t hire someone with MD connections. This may give a small insight.

@mlindsay

Attachments

• D026A142-312B-4749-BA9A-06435ADCA032.png
    D026A142-312B-4749-BA9A-06435ADCA032.png
    716.1 KB · Views: 124
Looks like Cooper is gonna play at Baylor was surprised they accepted her she is like a career 40 percent shooter.

Reactions: SCspur
Looks like Cooper is gonna play at Baylor was surprised they accepted her she is like a career 40 percent shooter.

She may be on their team, but that doesn't mean she'll play much. They have some very strong players at the guard spot coming back. I am doubtful Kim would start a low percentage shooting transfer over someone who came to her program initially. Jackson was her third choice for starting PG last year, but it just worked out like that. She also wont hesitate to dismiss you from the program if you wont play by her rules. Te'a is going to have to tow the line there, especially after two somewhat tumultuous exits from her last two schools.

I too am shocked they took her on at all though.

Her career 3pt% is 25% :eek::eek::eek:

She's a brick layer from 3 for certain. She can really get to the rim off the bounce and finish some circus shots, but her long ball is U.G.L.Y. and it has not improved since her freshman season at UT. I fully expected her to come out for SC this last season with a much improved 3 point shot, but it looked exactly the same as it did in her recruiting videos.

Her only saving grace is that the 3 ball really isn't a big part of Baylor's offense. Landrum has the green light and Cox as well, but that's about it. I believe they had the best 3 point percentage in the NCAA last year, but they also had the fewest attempts and makes.

She may be on their team, but that doesn't mean she'll play much. They have some very strong players at the guard spot coming back. I am doubtful Kim would start a low percentage shooting transfer over someone who came to her program initially. Jackson was her third choice for starting PG last year, but it just worked out like that. She also wont hesitate to dismiss you from the program if you wont play by her rules. Te'a is going to have to tow the line there, especially after two somewhat tumultuous exits from her last two schools.

I too am shocked they took her on at all though.

I wonder if they will play Te'a at PG or SG? She strikes me as more of a scoring guard, which they don't need with Cox, Smith, and Egbo being so efficient inside. They'd be better off playing her as an off guard and letting Richards play more of a point-forward role. She is the best playmaker on the team.

Reactions: Rixxx
I wonder if they will play Te'a at PG or SG? She strikes me as more of a scoring guard, which they don't need with Cox, Smith, and Egbo being so efficient inside. They'd be better off playing her as an off guard and letting Richards play more of a point-forward role. She is the best playmaker on the team.

Is she a def go there? I haven’t seen anything?

Killer schedule, considering there's a potential this is a down year. I figure Oregon and Baylor are certain losses, with SC being a strong possibility depending on how their freshmen adjust to the college game. If Horston and Keys adjust to the college game quickly, then Tennessee would at least have the talent on paper to be competitive.

Agreed! But they have to ramp their schedule up because they won’t run into a ranked opponent in conference.

I’m guessing she’ll play at the 2 more. But that really depends on what happens with Scott-Grayson, Landrum and Ursin. Landrum played the 2 guard last season and was very effective. She plays excellent defense and is a knock down shooter from 3 to open the interior. Te’a won’t be taking her spot in the line-up so she would be coming off the bench. Kim seems to really have a soft spot for Moon Ursin, you can tell she just loves the way she plays. I think their starting 5 will be Scott-Grayson or Ursin at the point, Landrum, Richards, Cox and Egbo/Smith. I can’t envision Cooper starting at the point for Mulkey unless she makes some serious changes to her game.

Reactions: BUBear and Amb3096
That is a fantastic schedule! Vanderbilt is probably the only weak team on. (I just gagged as I suddenly remembered how that horrible Vandy team actually beat the Lady Vols in TBA on freaking SENIOR NIGHT last season!!!!! Oh my god. It still makes me sick.)

Nyah Tate, 6-0 guard out of Terry, MS, is not listed on Mississippi State's 2019-20 roster; she is also not in the transfer portal. She played in 9 games as a sophomore during the 2018-19 season, averaging just 3.6 MPG

Reactions: VolBall09
Nyah Tate, 6-0 guard out of Terry, MS, is not listed on Mississippi State's 2019-20 roster; she is also not in the transfer portal. She played in 9 games as a sophomore during the 2018-19 season, averaging just 3.6 MPG
Could be a medical retirement? She had health problems all year.

VN Store

Back