Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

I completely agree with @Lucy, Pat was a legend, will always be a legend, and if she had not contracted this cruel disease the LV program would not have fallen on hard times. Probably won't believe this, but most UConn fans had complete respect for Pat, and her demise came as a shock, and sadness was expressed by many on the Boneyard. We are competitors but we are not evil, and Pat Summitt will always be in the forefront of any historic conversation concerning WCBB.
Well, I heard more than one UConn fan say they are glad she’s gone.

there are idiots in this world. I have never heard a UConn fan disparage Pat even while the Lady Vol's dominated us. It is hard to knock someone who is the ultimate 'Steel Magnolia'. She is refinement and dignity with a warriors heart. (And as an aside, I see similarities in KJH.)

there are idiots in this world. I have never heard a UConn fan disparage Pat even while the Lady Vol's dominated us. It is hard to knock someone who is the ultimate 'Steel Magnolia'. She is refinement and dignity with a warriors heart. (And as an aside, I see similarities in KJH.)
I’m sure all sorts of crap gets said about all coaches.

Reactions: Lucy
Reactions: PRG and mcannon1
I completely agree with @Lucy, Pat was a legend, will always be a legend, and if she had not contracted this cruel disease the LV program would not have fallen on hard times. Probably won't believe this, but most UConn fans had complete respect for Pat, and her demise came as a shock, and sadness was expressed by many on the Boneyard. We are competitors but we are not evil, and Pat Summitt will always be in the forefront of any historic conversation concerning WCBB.
You rock, Thank You!
I think some of the vitriol UConn fans feel from LV fans is from a broken heart and as Geno passes Pat in categories it is a constant reminder of the loss.

I believe you, because I met two big time UConn fans here in Florida, one was Geno’s lawyer, and the other a huge UConn fan, and both were extremely nice to me knowing I was a Tennessee Lady Vol fan, and both had high respect for Pat and wanted Tennessee to get back to prominence and continue our rivalry. One told me about this fantastic article written by Geno’s daughter.

Geno Auriemma’s daughter writes a heartfelt tribute to Pat Summitt

While I have heard many UConn fans badmouthing CPS especially around the time of the "cheating allegations"I have never heard another UConn fan say that they are "glad that she is gone." What I have heard is many UConn fans bemoaning the lost rivalry. UConn/UTenn were the best games ever.

If this is about the Maya Moore accusations, please go on Google and look it up. Of all the 11 violations the SEC accused UConn of, the NCAA investigated and came to the conclusion that they had only 1 secondary violation, and that was a UConn staffer arranged a tour of the ESPN studios on her visit. Folks, anyone, you, me, any one on this planet can get a tour of ESPN, the problem was that UConn set it up. So, allegedly this was the reason Pat called off the best rivalry in WBB. I wish there was a better reason, as this was a big time mistake.

Reactions: olddog
If this is about the Maya Moore accusations, please go on Google and look it up. Of all the 11 violations the SEC accused UConn of, the NCAA investigated and came to the conclusion that they had only 1 secondary violation, and that was a UConn staffer arranged a tour of the ESPN studios on her visit. Folks, anyone, you, me, any one on this planet can get a tour of ESPN, the problem was that UConn set it up. So, allegedly this was the reason Pat called off the best rivalry in WBB. I wish there was a better reason, as this was a big time mistake.

You're saying that Pat Summitt called off games with Geno for no good reason?

Reactions: stlvolsfan
You're saying that Pat Summitt called off games with Geno for no good reason?

Yes, I do. Come on now, Pat was as tough as any coach out there, and she didn't get to where she was by being a softy. Behind the scenes anything can happen, and i'm pretty sure it did. She took offense to the brash newcomer trying to make it by recruiting the same players. Not uncommon now, but back then there were only a handful of elite programs, and now another was trying to get into the mix. We now know recruiting is a business, and anything can happen. I wish I was wrong about this.

Yes, I do. Come on now, Pat was as tough as any coach out there, and she didn't get to where she was by being a softy. Behind the scenes anything can happen, and i'm pretty sure it did. She took offense to the brash newcomer trying to make it by recruiting the same players. Not uncommon now, but back then there were only a handful of elite programs, and now another was trying to get into the mix. We now know recruiting is a business, and anything can happen. I wish I was wrong about this.

You are.

Jim

Summitt would never call and end of compettion with a competitor without damned good reason. She was all about the game and what is good for WBB. She never called off competition with anyone else. Geno owns that.

I believe that she had a good reason to call off the games and it wasn't exactly cheating. I think the cheating thing was pretty much a smokescreen.

There are rules that define cheating. Then there is the understanding of right and wrong. And the rules of cheating may not adequately cover right vs wrong. Some understand that and some don't.

I believe that she had a good reason to call off the games and it wasn't exactly cheating. I think the cheating thing was pretty much a smokescreen.

I'm really sorry it had to happen at all. Whatever the reason, whatever Geno said, whatever Pat said, it screwed up the best WBB basketball I've had the pleasure to witness in my lifetime. This was a series between the established big time program and coach vs the upcoming program and coach. I feel bad for the players and fans. This was a game that each school circled on the calendar, knowing that 16K would be filling the XL center, and 20K plus at TB arena. This was also a recruiting tool, with each coach using this game to lure young players who knew about the game, but only gets to see it on TV. The game highlighted WBB at a time when it was growing, and I believe its elimination was a blow to the sport as a whole. Just my opinion, and I hope everyone takes it as that, because I'm not pro UConn here or pro Tennessee here, just pro womens basketball. I think we all lost here.

Yep. That’s all they “found.” Sorry. Pat had too much integrity to make false accusations.

Reactions: Bret178
Summitt would never call and end of compettion with a competitor without damned good reason. She was all about the game and what is good for WBB. She never called off competition with anyone else. Geno owns that.

Well, she can't stop playing any SEC team, so the field is small. Geno had the balls to challenge her when the others bowed to her presence. He was trying to start controversy and he certainly did that.

VN Store

Back