Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Does his resignation effectively end the investigation?
I figure the school would have no reason to continue unless they suspect or have knowledge of criminal activity that would require prosecution. If that is the case they would need players making those type of complaints and I guess those would then be handled by law enforcement.

Note: Dawn will be moving 6-5 Aliyah Boston to the 4 ? Then again it make sense she can defend that position also hit the mid range shot.

Boston(6'5) and Cardoso(6'7) will likely start and share the 4/5 spots. Amihere (6'4) (Canadian Nat'l team), Saxton (6'2) and Feagan(6'4) (Nat'l U18 team) provide strong rotation depth. There are 15 ladies on the roster this season, and 13 of them are former 5* players, 11 are former McDonald's AA and Amihere would have been also had she played HS ball in the states.

There are freshman, led by Raven Johnson (Nat'l U18 team, #2 ranked ) and Saniya Rivers (#3 ranked) that will play important minutes. If Staley does not mess up the recipe, this team is going to be her best team yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: djtee
True and
Boston and Cardoso will likely start and share the 4/5 spots. Amihere (Canadian Nat'l team), Saxton and Fagan (Nat'l U19 team) provide strong rotation depth. There are 15 ladies on the roster this season, and 13 of them are former 5* players, 11 are former McDonald's AA and Amihere would have been also had she played HS ball in the states. There are freshman, led by Raven Johnson (Nat'l U18 team) that will play important minutes. If Staley does not mess up the recipe, this team is going to be her best yet.

Make no mistake SC will be a matchup problem for a lot of teams this year.

Reactions: stlvolsfan
Boston(6'5) and Cardoso(6'7) will likely start and share the 4/5 spots. Amihere (6'4) (Canadian Nat'l team), Saxton (6'3) and Fagan(6'4) (Nat'l U19 team) provide strong rotation depth. There are 15 ladies on the roster this season, and 13 of them are former 5* players, 11 are former McDonald's AA and Amihere would have been also had she played HS ball in the states.

There are freshman, led by Raven Johnson (Nat'l U18 team) that will play important minutes. If Staley does not mess up the recipe, this team is going to be her best yet.

Dawn needs to finish the olympics and get back home. She’s going to have some things to work in this season. Y’all could be unstoppable or, honestly, it could be a bit of a mess.

Sometimes two dominant posts works out well but in this case I’m not so sure. Wouldn’t consider either of them a great passer, both are used to receiving the ball to score. For them to play big minutes together they are going to have to develop some sort of high low game like Baylor with Cox and Brown. That doesn’t happen overnight.

Dawn needs to finish the olympics and get back home. She’s going to have some things to work in this season. Y’all could be unstoppable or, honestly, it could be a bit of a mess.

Sometimes two dominant posts works out well but in this case I’m not so sure. Wouldn’t consider either of them a great passer, both are used to receiving the ball to score. For them to play big minutes together they are going to have to develop some sort of high low game like Baylor with Cox and Brown. That doesn’t happen overnight.

I agree but it seems to me this SC team has a lot more firepower then that Baylor team ? i could be wrong who knows or like you said it could be a mess.

Reactions: VolBall09
I agree but it seems to me this SC team has a lot more firepower then that Baylor team ? i could be wrong who knows or like you said it could be a mess.

Just different pieces. Kim usually doesn’t want her guards scoring too much because she wants the ball inside so much. Usually does better with a pass first PG like Richards. That may also create issues for Dawn as that definitely isn’t Cooke’s MO. Her shot attempts are going to have to be much more discerning and she’s going to have to WANT to get the ball inside if they are going to run Boston and Cardoso together a lot.

Of all the teams we will probably matchup with them about as good as anyone with Tamari. Emily may see big minutes in that matchup too. If she can improve her speed and limit her fouls (would be better with better agility and speed as well) she could really help defensively against a two big team like that.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
She will also have to deal with the playing time aspect and satisfying everyone. If Boston isn't as proficient at the 4 then what?

Then she moves to the 5 which is not a problem and i`m sure we all agree. I think Boston will only start at the 4 if a team comes out with a big lineup.

Then she moves to the 5 which is not a problem and i`m sure we all agree. I think Boston will only start at the 4 if a team comes out with a big lineup.

So what happens to the transfer Cardozo (sp?) my point is she will have to be a wizard with how the playing time will be distributed. She can do it and has mad talent. You also have Victoria Saxton at the 4 who was the starter last year and was good in that spot. It will be interesting and a good problem to have.

So what happens to the transfer Cardozo (sp?) my point is she will have to be a wizard with how the playing time will be distributed. She can do it and has mad talent. You also have Victoria Saxton at the 4 who was the starter last year and was good in that spot. It will be interesting and a good problem to have.

You are correct PT might be a little tricky ? because of so many blowouts i think, And as for Saxton i posted about her many times she is a problem for a lot of teams. I remember last year when she swatted the BYU 6-9 center shot out of the paint. But only time will tell if the team can make the right adjustments.

Reactions: VA_VOLFAN
Just different pieces. Kim usually doesn’t want her guards scoring too much because she wants the ball inside so much. Usually does better with a pass first PG like Richards. That may also create issues for Dawn as that definitely isn’t Cooke’s MO. Her shot attempts are going to have to be much more discerning and she’s going to have to WANT to get the ball inside if they are going to run Boston and Cardoso together a lot.

Of all the teams we will probably matchup with them about as good as anyone with Tamari. Emily may see big minutes in that matchup too. If she can improve her speed and limit her fouls (would be better with better agility and speed as well) she could really help defensively against a two big team like that.

Henderson is the PG (will be backed up by Raven Johnson). Cook is the SG (will be backed up by S. Rivers). I get what you are saying, the SG's have to keep defenses honest though and both Cook and Rivers can stroke it although Cook can be streaky. Staley also just brought in a recruit nobody talks about, Aubryanna Hall, the top rated player out of Ohio and ranked #14 nationally. She is also a legit SG. Rivers is 6' and so fast/athletic she could spend minutes in the wing spot also....she has a nice outside game but inside her vertical leaping is so high that she can dunk the ball.

Last edited:
Reactions: djtee
Henderson is the PG (will be backed up by Raven Johnson). Cook is the SG (will be backed up by S. Rivers). I get what you are saying, the SG's have to keep defenses honest though and both Cook and Rivers can stroke it although Cook can be streaky. Staley also just brought in a recruit nobody talks about, Aubryanna Hall, the top rated player out of Ohio and ranked #14 nationally. She is also a legit SG. Rivers is 6' and so fast/athletic she could spend minutes in the wing spot also....she has a nice outside game but inside her vertical leaping is so high that she can dunk the ball.

I forgot about Aubryanna Hall i only seen her on film. But from what i have seen she can ball she looks about 6-1 and long.

Haven’t forgotten about Bree, she was a player I was really hoping to see at Tennessee. Knew it was a long shot. Looking forward to seeing her play in the SEC though.

Cooke played a lot of PG, or at least playmaking guard, late in the season. Henderson was actually pretty inconsistent and prone to big mental mistakes at key moments late last season. Seemed like Dawn lost some trust in her during the tournament. No doubt she’ll improve again this season though.

Cooke’s shot selection still has to be better for y’all to run a two post offense though. There is no good reason for her to be averaging 15+ shot attempts a game shooting below 40% with the possibility of two high percentage big girls like Cardoso and Boston out there. Chemistry and minutes could get interesting.

Reactions: djtee and Rooster1

Not looking good…they had been sweeping things under the rug for a him for a while. They were definitely let go if the school won’t comment on the nature of their departure. Expecting that employment lawsuit. They had no problem saying Hillsman resigned.

They could very well find themselves in legal trouble and open to litigation from the students/parents. It is the law that if serious complaints are filed they must report them to Student Affairs. The athletics department is not the end all be all on disciplinary action and student rights on college campuses. They like to think they are, which is why it often gets to the point of scandal. They choose hiding things and winning games over the safety and well-being of students. If the issues had been reported appropriately it would never have gone this far. The upper level university admin would have given him marching orders years ago.

E79_mNpXsAAmlKl
Should be a very good game ? SEC vs Big 10

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK

VN Store

Back