Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

This is Dawn's response regarding the NBA job ( source is today's "State Newspaper" )

"No ounce of me wants to coach outside of college".

"Too much work to be done in women's basketball".

Reactions: stlvolsfan
Honestly it’s just clickbait to call her a WNBA star at this point. She has not played on a team in 5 or 6 years.

The league should contact them and ask that they remove the WNBA part. They don’t need the negative publicity.

Always loved Shoni’s game, hate to see her in this situation.

I can't comment on her game, but I always thought of her as sort of a punk when she played for Louisville. I think I remember there was some drama about her parents who were coaches. I think they were both fired after some sort of dust up at a game.

I remembered her being a star player in college and able to dismantle Britney G. Of Baylor. Then got to wnba the fire turned off in less than a yr.

I hate it for this kid, but there was no way she was seeing the floor with what we have coming in and coming back. She is a better three-point shooter than her average indicates. UGA doesn't make it out of the opening round of the NCAA tourney without her. Her ability to shoot it from the perimeter opened things up for Jenna on the block because the opposing team could not double down on Staiti.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
I can't comment on her game, but I always thought of her as sort of a punk when she played for Louisville. I think I remember there was some drama about her parents who were coaches. I think they were both fired after some sort of dust up at a game.

Rez ball bruh.

If you believe in experience the Indiana Guard is coming back for her seventh year, plus a non-playing year from transferrig from Notre Dame and their other graduate transfer is playing another year. The lady vols may not be the only basketball team where players graduate with a PhD.

If you believe in experience the Indiana Guard is coming back for her seventh year, plus a non-playing year from transferrig from Notre Dame and their other graduate transfer is playing another year. The lady vols may not be the only basketball team where players graduate with a PhD.

…or with AARP…

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
I thought you couldn’t do this? From what I understand coaches cannot ask players to leave or encourage them to transfers to open up roster spots.

Is it different if there is a coaching change?
Scholarships are for 1 year. A coach can decide not to renew a scholarship. Coaches avoid it because taking a scholarship will work against them in future recruiting. Coaches will typically have a meeting with every player and some players may be told that they do not fit in the plans for the coming year. If that player decides to move on, a decent coach will provide much aid in the acquiring another scholarship at another school.

I thought you couldn’t do this? From what I understand coaches cannot ask players to leave or encourage them to transfers to open up roster spots.

Is it different if there is a coaching change?
Coaches find a way when they want to. You can make anyone feel unwelcome and give them incentive to leave. Second she is a Grad Transfer so her four years of guaranteed scholarship had run out.

Scholarships are for 1 year. A coach can decide not to renew a scholarship. Coaches avoid it because taking a scholarship will work against them in future recruiting. Coaches will typically have a meeting with every player and some players may be told that they do not fit in the plans for the coming year. If that player decides to move on, a decent coach will provide much aid in the acquiring another scholarship at another school.

The power 5 conferences put in a rule i think about 4 year scholarships. This doesn’t apply to uconn i don’t think since they aren’t in one. No shade, i just wonder if they operate on a different thing.

Balogun - former Hamilton Heights star I noticed has now transferred her second time Georgia Tech, Louisville, Duke. if nothing else she knows the ACC. I did not know that Duke has 7 transfers and one freshman. If there was ever a time for a coach to seek transfers was a new coach, the pandemic restrictions and the extra year of elibilility.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK

Your information is not correct. The Power 5 conferences changed their rules on this a while back. From what I understand all scholarships are required to be guaranteed for 4 years. You cannot pull a scholarship for poor performance. Only for conduct or grades issues.

Coaches trying to make an end around to get rid of players when they take over a program may very well be opening themselves, and their university, up to litigation. If the players are being asked to leave that has “lawsuit” written all over it. If they are choosing to leave it’s totally different.

Not the story Miss Boykin is telling though.

VN Store

Back