Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

the one move I have agreed with re BB this whole summer is moving the girl's 3 pt line to equal the men's line

Transfer portal rework - dumb

NIL- dumber

Raven - this will open the door for boys to demand playing in girls game,, otherwise it will be viewed as reverse discrimination...dumbest ( I don't fault Raven,,,I understand what this means to her, but, talk about opening a proverbial can of worms ,,, "There's your sign")

Last edited:
the one move I have agreed with re BB this whole summer is moving the girl's 3 pt line to equal the men's line

Transfer portal rework - dumb

NIL- dumber

Raven - this will open the door for boys to demand playing in girls game,, otherwise it will be viewed as reverse discrimination...dumbest ( I don't fault Raven,,,I understand what this means to her, but, talk about opening a proverbial can of worms ,,, "There's your sign")
The only reason it's a story is because Raven would be playing a level "up". Boys won't want to play in girls games because it's a lower level of competition.

The reality is if this is really some of the best boys talent, then Raven will be woefully out of her league and the boys will end up going easy on her by not playing defense on her or going right at her on offense. They might even let her get a steal or an uncontested 3-pointer. And if she misses a layup, they'll probably hand her the ball so she can try again while everyone watches. Yaaaay!

Dumb dumb dumb.

Reactions: stlvolsfan
The only reason it's a story is because Raven would be playing a level "up". Boys won't want to play in girls games because it's a lower level of competition.

The reality is if this is really some of the best boys talent, then Raven will be woefully out of her league and the boys will end up going easy on her by not playing defense on her or going right at her on offense. They might even let her get a steal or an uncontested 3-pointer. And if she misses a layup, they'll probably hand her the ball so she can try again while everyone watches. Yaaaay!

Dumb dumb dumb.

When my youngest brother was in HS, he had a girl to try out for the football team as a lineman.
He said that the boys in the locker-room before her tryout was going to make an example out of her,,,and they did.
He said it was ugly how hard they amped up when she was across from them.

depends on the group, but if these boys take it personal,
she may never touch the ball.

When my youngest brother was in HS, he had a girl to try out for the football team as a lineman.
He said that the boys in the locker-room before her tryout was going to make an example out of her,,,and they did.

It's 2021. They will pander to her, lest they be risk being labelled as "sexist". Which I'm sure will make Raven feel worse when she's being treated like a "special" kid on the team.

If there's a benefit to Raven subjecting herself to this, I don't know what it is. She honestly can't be so delusional to think that she can compete with them on an even level, so either she's ok being treated with kid gloves or she's ok getting completely humiliated when she can't keep up. It's a lose-lose.

typically, women's college basketball teams can't beat their male practice team. And their male practice team wouldn't win the intramurals.

typically, women's college basketball teams can't beat their male practice team. And their male practice team wouldn't win the intramurals.
Right, and now you make it even worse because we're not talking about Joe Shmoe in the rec center...these are the best boys in the country.

Like I said earlier...dumb idea 🙄

Reactions: NeedOrange

Dumb dumb dumb.
"Boys won't want to play in girls games because it's a lower level of competition."

True - except for thse boys that are feeling a bit girly and not good enough to compete in boy's sports. Connecticut had a couple of biological males that identified as female and they demanded (and were allowed) to compete in HS women's track events. I think they finished 1-2 in every event entered.
Now I think it's the law of the land that biological males that self identify as female must be allowed to compete as females in women's sports.

"Boys won't want to play in girls games because it's a lower level of competition."

True - except for thse boys that are feeling a bit girly and not good enough to compete in boy's sports. Connecticut had a couple of biological males that identified as female and they demanded (and were allowed) to compete in HS women's track events. I think they finished 1-2 in every event entered.
Now I think it's the law of the land that biological males that self identify as female must be allowed to compete as females in women's sports.

Except Raven doesn't identify as a boy. This is some weird attempt at "equality" and pretending that basketball is basketball, no matter what sex (yes sex, not gender) you are.

I agree with your last sentence. Everyone wants to be a progressive. That is, until some no name school recruits a 7 foot highly skilled boy who identifies as a girl and completely dominates women's college basketball.

There are some things that transcend wanting to be progressive.

Athletic competition is based on fairness. Allowing a male to compete against females in sports is absolutely unfair to females. Think about kids that are busting their ass in their chosen sport, some hoping perhaps for a college scholarship, except they can't compete against a male (got a penis and testicles you are male).

If things continue as they are it won't be long before your 7' male in WCBB becomes reality. All in the name of inclusion.

There are some things that transcend wanting to be progressive.

Athletic competition is based on fairness. Allowing a male to compete against females in sports is absolutely unfair to females. Think about kids that are busting their ass in their chosen sport, some hoping perhaps for a college scholarship, except they can't compete against a male (got a penis and testicles you are male).

If things continue as they are it won't be long before your 7' male in WCBB becomes reality. All in the name of inclusion.
Apparently, saying that transgender women are different from real women is considered hate speech. As was the case with those girls that were losing to boys in track, the message to the girls was to "work harder". Because they are pretending that there isn't a huge physical difference between men and women that gives men a significant advantage in most athletic activities. But hey...all in the name of inclusion.

This is the 3rd time in a few days in which you use the word “was” where a “were” is needed. It’s an interesting insight, and at this point not a one time thing. Not being a nazi grammar police here...just noticing a speech pattern. Example: CJ and his mom was going to have T.V. dinners again for dinner but mom forgot to restock the freezer.

This is the 3rd time in a few days in which you use the word “was” where a “were” is needed. It’s an interesting insight, and at this point not a one time thing. Not being a nazi grammar police here...just noticing a speech pattern. Example: CJ and his mom was going to have T.V. dinners again for dinner but mom forgot to restock the freezer.

Not sure why someone would call out grammar on a message board. If you are talking about the first sentence, I'm pretty certain you'd only use "were" if it didn't happen. He used the correct word.

Editing with this info -
Was vs. Were Examples
Below are several examples that illustrate when to use was and when to use were.

• If it were that simple, I would have solved the problem by now.
  • If I was wrong about my assumption, please let me know.
  • I wish I were taller.
  • If he were right, we wouldn’t be in this mess now.
“If I Was” or “If I Were”?
Always use were with statements that do not in any way reflect the current reality. Use was to describe events that happened for a fact.

Also, any sentence or clause that begins with “I wish” will certainly take were instead of was, because a wish, and not something that actually materialized.

Reactions: NeedOrange

You are going to try and correct someone and while trying to correct someone sporadically throw in the term Nazi?!? I have heard of Grammar Police on the board but i don’t ever think i have seen it associated with Nazis 🤔

That was just weird to me...

You realize how wrong that sounds if you read it aloud:
He said it was ugly how hard they amped up when she were across from them

If I had said:
He said it was ugly how hard they amped up when they was across from her...it would have been the wrong use

And mom cooks from scratch, I can remember only one tv dinner in my entire childhood.
I think it were in 1972

fd87e311a0319bb2031d68a05247b2a5.jpg

You realize how wrong that sounds if you read it aloud:
He said it was ugly how hard they amped up when she were across from them

If I had said:
He said it was ugly how hard they amped up when they was across from her...it would have been the wrong use

And mom cooks from scratch, I can remember only one tv dinner in my entire childhood.
I think it were in 1972

fd87e311a0319bb2031d68a05247b2a5.jpg

I think his issue was this:

He said that the boys in the locker-room before her tryout was going to make an example out of her

...and if so, he'd be correct.

Was and were are both past tenses of the verb to be. The verb be is a tricky one because it is an irregular verb and one that we find ourselves using with great frequency, so it is that much more important that we choose the correct verb for our sentences.

Was is used in the first person singular (I) and the third person singular (he, she, it).

Were is used in the second person singular and plural (you, your, yours) and first and third person plural (we, they).

If Coach Jumper stated "He said that the boy (singular) in the locker room before her try-out was going to make an example out of her", then that would be the correct usage.

However, since it was NOT a single "boy", but rather a plural group of "boys" - an alternative third-person plural - then the correct form would not be "was", but "were" (we were, they were, y'all were :p ).

He said that the boys in the locker-room before her tryout were going to make an example out of her

This is still however, incorrect. According to Coach Jumper's recollection, the "boys" did NOT make an example out of her "before her tryout", and "in the locker-room". They actually made an example out of her DURING her tryout. What I think Coach Jumper meant to state, was that his youngest brother told him that - while in high school - a group of boys told him in the locker-room before the tryout, that they would make an example out of her during her tryout.

So. Now that the total dissection of Coach Jumper's post has been completed, we can move on...... ;)

VN Store

Back