Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Most of the discussion I've read is explaining to the over the top fans that the road is long and bumpy to the hallowed ground and once again they are a bit premature in declaring themselves the best team in the country. The thought that adding a second string center is the missing piece to bring SCAR tournament glory is a bit of a reach, don't you think. Now if you added a top point guard or a terrific wing that would be significant.

I agree the CT fans once again declaring themselves as the best team in the country - because that's what that thread is about: CT fans claiming that despite the addition of Cardoso, they should still be the better team - is a bit premature. South Carolina has won a national championship more recently than CT has - CT hasn't been the "best" team in WCBB in 5 years - and last season both were Final Four teams where SC lost at the buzzer to the eventual NC due to their last shot not going in, while CT lost decisively to the runner-up in theirs.....

touchy are we. I'm going to try to get to Columbia for that game If I can let's try to shake hands or we could place a small wager on the outcome (not a salary maybe something like a cold drink). I do think your team will have the edge so your going to have to give me some points. It's a tough place for visitors to play and only 3 of our kids have ever experienced anything like what they will face then. Last year Tennessee only had a smidgen of fans and our kids were shell shocked at first. I can't imagine what a full arena of rabid fans and UConn haters will do to them.

BTW, I'm not dissing Raven because she is good, real good. I just replied to @Poultrygeist comment about the 'top point guard in the nation' with a few facts. And I spent most of the post not talking about UConn but about players going to Notre Dame and Texas. It's you folks who are always obsessing about UConn.

One thing is, don't you think you are expecting a little bit much from a freshman. She will be your most skilled guard, but point guard in D1 is and incredibly difficult position. Wings and Posts have it easy. But to command the team, execute the game plan and know the idiosyncrasies of your teammates is an awful lot in the first year. Our last two point guards took two years to learn how to do it and they weren't chopped liver as players.

There's a reason that she is not talked about like Fudd? Fudd is unique and there are two other point guards that several experts like as well as Raven.

I would like people to talk a little more about Caroline Ducharme. Did you know she just won the 3 point shooting contest and the one-on-one contest at the SLAM summer classic. Then she beat the boy's 3 point champion. BTW she's a 6'4" wing

Lol I had to get a little defensive. I merely said Raven was better than Miles and Harmon regardless of how the scouting services ranked them. I never brought up UConn in a negative manner other than the fact that their recruits and players get the spotlight more than any other program, which is true. Yes Azzi is a unique and good player but so is Raven in her own right. I mean just look at the accolades I presented you with, you don’t think she deserves an ESPN cover story? You do realize how hard it is to win in Georgia Class 7A and 6A right?? And to do it 4 times and go 111-0??? That’s insane. I don’t have extremely high expectations for Raven next year she only has to come in and run the second unit with little drop off and that’s definitely something she can handle. I won’t even bring up Rivers. I love the fact that everyone is sleeping on her. I don’t think there is a better overall player in the class.

Ducharme will never get the exposure you’re looking for so long as she shares a backcourt with Fudd and Bueckers. She’s very good and long but far from 6’4”. I think she will be a good one but she needs to work on her defense lol

Reactions: shiverz
Have u realized that most times key shot 2's around free throw areas it's going in but they need to encourage her to shoot more.

Exactly. Did not get to see all games due to trying to raise kids, but I’d say Key shot greater than 50% from the elbow. Leave her there shooting that shot until somebody does something to stop it is what should’ve been done. Then with her height she should easily be able to find a cutter or Rae as a spot up shooter. She should could easily be the assists leader on the team from the elbow.

Fudd got a lot more press than Raven before anyone knew where she would choose to go to college. That statement is not true. Miles and Rivers are not going to UConn and they got talked about. However, I saw Raven play in those games you mentioned and I believe she will be a super guard at SC. She should not be underestimated and yes, she should have been talked about more.

You must be kidding. Before Fudd chose where she was going to college, EVERYONE knew she was going to CT due to her childhood friendship with Bueckers. They hung out together at each other's homes. Then there was rumor milling that Fudd may go elsewhere - mostly started by Fudd herself.

Connecticut fans won't know this, because this has to do with top level college football. But when a CFB prospect knows where he wants to go, and the consensus is established that he's a sure thing to go to Team A, that prospect will try to generate some "scandal" by posting stuff on his social accts that imply he may go elsewhere - to a rival team of that Team A, or something like that - just to stir up attention for himself and make the final months of his recruitment less boring. Kids do that sort of thing. Tennessee fans know ALL about this practice in CFB recruiting. It's been going at least since 2002.

The stuff that was stirred up over Fudd's final months of recruitment was simply that: an effort to keep her name and recruitment in the limelight, while other top prospects were committing elsewhere. And Fudd ended up choosing the very same school everyone expected her to choose from the get-go. Because, of course why WOULD'NT she? AND YES, ESPN had regular articles about Azzi Fudd on their top story list on their WCBB page pretty much every week of that recruiting cycle. Like they did with Bueckers the cycle before. The same cannot be stated about Rivers. I do not know if River's EVER made their top article list.

But good spin there........

Raven may be the key. She certainly has the skill set to raise the bar for the back court. SCAR is definitely a top 5 team and will face only a bump or 2 on the way to the tournament. Your descriptions and appreciations of your players are all very appropriate for SEC play.

"SCAR" is not how you spell "CT". I do not know how Luigi will schedule his OOC schedule for 2021-22. Maybe he'll have a strong OOC - he usually has pretty strong ones, because CT's conference slates are so weak. So CT may have a "bump or 2", like they generally have every year.

South Carolina had easily the toughest schedule last season, and stand to do so again for 2021-22. They still need to reschedule Maryland for the cancelled game last season to fulfill their H & A contract, and could possibly play Oregon and CT in the Battle 4 Atlantis, which means playing CT TWICE in the reg. season. Also a follow-up game @ NC State is in the works. Then the SEC which is always a tough ride.

A little more than "only a bump or 2", by anyone's standards.....

No one mentioned Fudd. Fudd is primarily a 2 guard although she has a good handle.

I was comparing Raven to the other top point guards. But I guess you weren't aware of that.

Also no need to be redundant listing hoopgurlz as if that contradicts what I said. I just used the real name of the rating service that ESPN uses to post hoopgurlz. They are Premier Basketball if you will reread my post. But I guess you weren't aware of that either.

I'm aware that the news media reported that SC signed #2, #3, #4 and #14. Raven Johnson is #2 and she's top rated in her position of point guard. Silky smooth Rivers could have as much impact as Johnson in the guard position which you cite as our weakness. When you play in the SEC there's more to worry about than an out of conference game with UConn. The lady is correct when she says, "It just means more".

"SCAR" is not how you spell "CT". I do not know how Luigi will schedule his OOC schedule for 2021-22. Maybe he'll have a strong OOC - he usually has pretty strong ones, because CT's conference slates are so weak. So CT may have a "bump or 2", like they generally have every year.

South Carolina had easily the toughest schedule last season, and stand to do so again for 2021-22. They still need to reschedule Maryland for the cancelled game last season to fulfill their H & A contract, and could possibly play Oregon and CT in the Battle 4 Atlantis, which means playing CT TWICE in the reg. season. Also a follow-up game @ NC State is in the works. Then the SEC which is always a tough ride.

A little more than "only a bump or 2", by anyone's standards.....
I should have been clearer. By bumps in the road, I meant a couple of games where they are in jeopardy of losing.

Also I don't get "SCAR" is not how you spell "CT". I use SCAR as an abbreviation for The University of South Carolina because it is how it is abbreviated on ESPN which appears to be the SCAR fans new outlet of choice. I recognize the fact that the SEC is terrified of playing football against the UConn football team, but I assure you every one associated with UConn would love to be able to play in the SEC or the ACC.

Lol I had to get a little defensive. I merely said Raven was better than Miles and Harmon regardless of how the scouting services ranked them. I never brought up UConn in a negative manner other than the fact that their recruits and players get the spotlight more than any other program, which is true. Yes Azzi is a unique and good player but so is Raven in her own right. I mean just look at the accolades I presented you with, you don’t think she deserves an ESPN cover story? You do realize how hard it is to win in Georgia Class 7A and 6A right?? And to do it 4 times and go 111-0??? That’s insane. I don’t have extremely high expectations for Raven next year she only has to come in and run the second unit with little drop off and that’s definitely something she can handle. I won’t even bring up Rivers. I love the fact that everyone is sleeping on her. I don’t think there is a better overall player in the class.

Ducharme will never get the exposure you’re looking for so long as she shares a backcourt with Fudd and Bueckers. She’s very good and long but far from 6’4”. I think she will be a good one but she needs to work on her defense lol

I agree on Rivers. Most of the recruiting service flag her as the best SoCar recruit.

Reactions: SCspur
I agree the CT fans once again declaring themselves as the best team in the country - because that's what that thread is about: CT fans claiming that despite the addition of Cardoso, they should still be the better team - is a bit premature. South Carolina has won a national championship more recently than CT has - CT hasn't been the "best" team in WCBB in 5 years - and last season both were Final Four teams where SC lost at the buzzer to the eventual NC due to their last shot not going in, while CT lost decisively to the runner-up in theirs.....
Yeah SCAR does seem to choke a bit on layups to win a game. Not much to brag about there.

This is not a UConn board and I have made no such claim on this board (@Lucy schooled me very well on my etiquette). In fact I have been on record as saying the game in Columbia is our most likely loss for various reasons. My sole point in this thread has been focused on the claim that Raven is "...the best point guard in the nation" so please try to not twist what I have said.

You must be kidding. Before Fudd chose where she was going to college, EVERYONE knew she was going to CT due to her childhood friendship with Bueckers. They hung out together at each other's homes. Then there was rumor milling that Fudd may go elsewhere - mostly started by Fudd herself.

Connecticut fans won't know this, because this has to do with top level college football. But when a CFB prospect knows where he wants to go, and the consensus is established that he's a sure thing to go to Team A, that prospect will try to generate some "scandal" by posting stuff on his social accts that imply he may go elsewhere - to a rival team of that Team A, or something like that - just to stir up attention for himself and make the final months of his recruitment less boring. Kids do that sort of thing. Tennessee fans know ALL about this practice in CFB recruiting. It's been going at least since 2002.

The stuff that was stirred up over Fudd's final months of recruitment was simply that: an effort to keep her name and recruitment in the limelight, while other top prospects were committing elsewhere. And Fudd ended up choosing the very same school everyone expected her to choose from the get-go. Because, of course why WOULD'NT she? AND YES, ESPN had regular articles about Azzi Fudd on their top story list on their WCBB page pretty much every week of that recruiting cycle. Like they did with Bueckers the cycle before. The same cannot be stated about Rivers. I do not know if River's EVER made their top article list.

But good spin there........
Read the Boneyard before Fudd committed. UConn fans were hopeful but were also concerned she might choose to go elsewhere. It was not a certainty, at least not with UConn fans. Players havce hung out before and were best friends but chose to go to different schools. What proof do you have that there was an effort to keep her name and recruitment in the limelight? What benefit was that?

touchy are we. I'm going to try to get to Columbia for that game If I can let's try to shake hands or we could place a small wager on the outcome (not a salary maybe something like a cold drink). I do think your team will have the edge so your going to have to give me some points. It's a tough place for visitors to play and only 3 of our kids have ever experienced anything like what they will face then. Last year Tennessee only had a smidgen of fans and our kids were shell shocked at first. I can't imagine what a full arena of rabid fans and UConn haters will do to them.

BTW, I'm not dissing Raven because she is good, real good. I just replied to @Poultrygeist comment about the 'top point guard in the nation' with a few facts. And I spent most of the post not talking about UConn but about players going to Notre Dame and Texas. It's you folks who are always obsessing about UConn.

One thing is, don't you think you are expecting a little bit much from a freshman. She will be your most skilled guard, but point guard in D1 is and incredibly difficult position. Wings and Posts have it easy. But to command the team, execute the game plan and know the idiosyncrasies of your teammates is an awful lot in the first year. Our last two point guards took two years to learn how to do it and they weren't chopped liver as players.

There's a reason that she is not talked about like Fudd? Fudd is unique and there are two other point guards that several experts like as well as Raven.

I would like people to talk a little more about Caroline Ducharme. Did you know she just won the 3 point shooting contest and the one-on-one contest at the SLAM summer classic. Then she beat the boy's 3 point champion. BTW she's a 6'4" wing
She is a 6'2" wing, unless she suddenly grew two inches.

This is the game where the team led by the SC recruits destroyed the team with the UConn recruits on it.

Reactions: SCspur
Need Orange....How about reminding me how your screen name is associated with UConn? Are you the Rutgers fan? There have been so many new people popping in lately it's hard to keep up....Even a blind man would know UConn and SC are loaded this season....Will be fun trying to knock off you guys....

Reactions: Coach Jumper
Need Orange....How about reminding me how your screen name is associated with UConn? Are you the Rutgers fan? There have been so many new people popping in lately it's hard to keep up....Even a blind man would know UConn and SC are loaded this season....Will be fun trying to knock off you guys....

the rutgers fan is BballNut hasn’t been around for a min... 🤔 may be like Beetlejuice say his name 3x and he appears 🤣 after team went out in round 1 and their top pick didn’t go in first round haven’t heard from him ...

Is Rennia's injury similar to Tess Darby's or Marta's from last season? Coach Reeve said Rennia suffered it during the end of her college career and im pretty sure it was that game against Ole Miss..hate to see this happen to her with Naphessa Collier and Kayla McBride still playing overseas Rennia was going to see alot of minutes rookies on playoff teams dont usually see

Last edited:
Yeah SCAR does seem to choke a bit on layups to win a game. Not much to brag about there.

This is not a UConn board and I have made no such claim on this board (@Lucy schooled me very well on my etiquette). In fact I have been on record as saying the game in Columbia is our most likely loss for various reasons. My sole point in this thread has been focused on the claim that Raven is "...the best point guard in the nation" so please try to not twist what I have said.
Well now, that’s a little embarrassing😳
Glad you’re still here!

VN Store

Back