Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

One player like Clark on our team and we would be a definite National Championship contender and probably a one seed this year.

She is the only player on that team, That`s not gonna do it will needs some other Top elite players to have a chance of being a National Championship contender.

Would have to be a grad transfer, because I can't see someone who is getting a free ride to an Ivy League school leaving without a degree.

I'm surprised that more teams weren't after Katie. She can shoot, pass, takes care of the ball, and I think she leads the team in steals. Brenda must have been thanking the heavens that Katie practically landed in her lap. The funny thing is that Katie is EXACTLY what Texas is missing. If she stayed with her original plan, Collier would have a lot more room inside because Texas has no consistent outside threat.
I don't believe Ivy League schools give out athletic scholarships. They do give out financial aid based based on family income. I just thought that was interesting.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
I can see Miss St making a coaching change after just one season. I have to believe that Auburn will finally make a change as well. Even with their losing record and likely not to make the NCAA Tourney LSU probably stays with Caldwell. I don't see any other coaching change possibilities for the SEC.

If Auburn doesn’t make a move it says to me that their athletics department just flat doesn’t care. They had a mass exodus of players and they were no better.

Really doubt MSST makes a move after one season. Wouldn’t be surprised if her contract doesn’t stipulate at least another year.

Agree that LSU will stick with Caldwell. She’s consistent and her teams are consistent. Never at the very top but they always win a few games they shouldn’t and she seems to be low drama and runs her program well.

If Iowa plans on making some noise while Clark is there they have got to sort out their defense. Offensively they are there, they have a great scorer who draws a ton of attention and then facilitates well. They shoot the ball well generally too.

They have allowed almost every team they have played to score 80+ points. All of their losses but one the opposing team scored 80+.

If they could hold teams to 70 points they would be a Top 10 team nationally.

Auburn up 42-36 at the half. They average like 65 ppg. Says a lot about MSST's inability to play simple defense. MSST cut a 10 pt deficit to 1 in about a minute, then turned the ball over their last three possessions of the quarter and sent AU to the FT line at the other end each time. Finished the half with 12 tos.

Nikki sat down when her team was up 15-11 and has remained seated while AU ripped off a 19-2 run. No TO called while MSST repeatedly turned the ball over.

This is not a tournament team.

Auburn up 42-36 at the half. They average like 65 ppg. Says a lot about MSST's inability to play simple defense. MSST cut a 10 pt deficit to 1 in about a minute, then turned the ball over their last three possessions of the quarter and sent AU to the FT line at the other end each time. Finished the half with 12 tos.

Nikki sat down when her team was up 15-11, then sat down and has remained seated while AU ripped off a 19-2 run. No TO called while MSST repeatedly turned the ball over.

This is not a tournament team.

They look checked out. Still have a chance to win, Auburn is not very good. If they play at all in the second half they can squeeze one out.

This is not a good look though. If they don’t lose any players to the portal it will be the shock of my lifetime.

They look checked out. Still have a chance to win, Auburn is not very good. If they play at all in the second half they can squeeze one out.

This is not a good look though. If they don’t lose any players to the portal it will be the shock of my lifetime.
They play such sloppy ball. It was like Sidney and Rickea were moping they didn't get touches when MSST hit three quick threes in a minute, so they kept forcing it inside and turned it over repeatedly. Except when they'd break the press and Carter or Morris was alone under the basket and no one but Myah was looking for them.

Other than TOs, I'm most shocked by their complete inability to prevent their player from driving by then at will. And not just Honesty...it's the whole team. Whenever they want, all game long.

I really can't see a reason why a single player would continue to play for Nikki after this season, besides Charlotte who's not good enough to otherwise play in the SEC. Even the video segment where they were singing her praise...all sounded like Stockholm Syndrome.

They play such sloppy ball. It was like Sidney and Rickea were moping they didn't get touches when MSST hit three quick threes in a minute, so they kept forcing it inside and turned it over repeatedly. Except when they'd break the press and Carter or Morris was alone under the basket and no one but Myah was looking for them.

Other than TOs, I'm most shocked by their complete inability to prevent their player from driving by then at will. And not just Honesty...it's the whole team. Whenever they want, all game long.

I really can't see a reason why a single player would continue to play for Nikki after this season, besides Charlotte who's not good enough to otherwise play in the SEC. Even the video segment where they were singing her praise...all sounded like Stockholm Syndrome.

They have decided to play defense in the second half. They may survive.

Pretty uninspired play to end the season for them. Surprised there has not been more talk about it. That’s one thing that bothers me about the women’s game compared to the men’s.

If there is a big coaching change in the men’s game and it’s not going well. People talk! The shows talk, halftime reports talk, post game reporters ask tough questions. On the women’s side it seems to be taboo for people to openly discuss when a team or coach is struggling. We saw it with Holly for years, everyone danced around the issue. See the same thing a little with MSST. Nobody wants to touch this story with a 10’ pole.

Last edited:
Jackson does not care. She looks confident in her not caring as well. Almost certain she’s headed elsewhere and it seems like she already knows where. Not trying to impress anybody with her defense right now lol

Jackson does not care. She looks confident in her not caring as well. Almost certain she’s headed elsewhere and it seems like she already knows where. Not trying to impress anybody with her defense right now lol
They're playing better in the third quarter. Rickea is so fluid. She's playing hard on both ends right now. But...it is Auburn, and they shouldn't have needed a comeback against such an awful team.

Reactions: VolBall09
MSST takes the 3rd quarter 21-8 and leads 57-50 going into the 4th.

First quarter the team has played in some time where they looked like a cohesive unit. Only 2 tos in the half and they didn't force shots.

Looks like they might break the losing streak. Lucky for them they had a cupcake waiting at home.

Four fouls in 90 seconds into the 4th quarter, and AU in the bonus. They just can't make it easy for themselves 🙄

MSST snaps a 5 game losing streak by beating winless AU at home 81-68. A tale of two halves. They actually played very well in the 2nd half and held AU to only 26 points after giving up 42 in the first half. Clamped it down on defense and played smart offense and quit turning the ball over repeatedly.

Unique Thompson was impressive tonight with 22 and 14. She's really deserving of a first team all SEC nod. Outside of Honesty, AU didn't have any other scoring weapons, but they played hard. Good balance from MSST in the scoring column. Jackson, Carter, Taylor and Matharu stepped up on offense, and Mingo Young and Hayes played solid defense in the half.

Great game by Mississippi State in their 81-68 win over a game but over matched Auburn team. Jackson almost had a double double with 20 points and 9 rebounds. That girl can jump. The players looked engaged and Coach McRay did a nice job keeping their heads in the game despite being down 6 points at the half. I saw good camaraderie among the players, running over when a teammate would be knocked down. And the huddle at the end was really nice. Lots of excitement.

They only lose one player next year to graduation and she doesn't play much. My guess is that they all stay and give Coach McRay get her system going in a second season. They also have a Top 50 point guard coming in next year. Look for a big bounce back season.

VN Store

Back