Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

So you read none of the previous discussion? Trainer said it was OK. Player said it was OK. She played OK. He's only resting her now bc they're playing Sisters of the Poor and Needy again tomorrow. I know we're not very rational where Geno is concerned but no way he jepordizes the longterm health of his prize recruit, if only for purely selfish reasons.
Hate knows no logic.

So you read none of the previous discussion? Trainer said it was OK. Player said it was OK. She played OK. He's only resting her now bc they're playing Sisters of the Poor and Needy again tomorrow. I know we're not very rational where Geno is concerned but no way he jepordizes the longterm health of his prize recruit, if only for purely selfish reasons.
for some reading and understanding are two different issues.

Reactions: Mr. Doo Wop

Two things here:

(1) He left her out there initially after she rolled her ankle to hobble around in obvious pain. She could barely limp down the floor, wincing all the way. It was apparent that she was injured and needed to be checked out, but he didn't take her out immediately despite the obvious. As for wanting to go back in, Need Orange actually made the argument that "In the last minutes of a game the adrenalin is so high you would go back in with a minor bone break." That's admirable for the competitiveness of the player, but that's why others have to make the call. Sure, both his player and the trainer said she was good to go. But there could have been something more serious going on that could have been aggravated by going back out.

(2) He had made a point of saying that the Tennessee game was "no big deal." If that were truly the case, and if he has recruited as well as his admirers give him credit for doing, then surely he has a backup PG who can play the last minute of the game, especially with his team having the lead and the ball. Does he feel that his bench players are so weak that they can't replace a freshman player who was 2-13 at that point? That's pathetic.

No one here (at least, not the sane ones) wants to see opposing players injured, especially when our ire is directed toward their jerk of a coach (all Tara Vanderveer got from us for breaking Pat's record were hearty congratulations). We don't even want misfortune in the way of bad health to befall the coach. But he continues to find ways to belittle Tennessee...the program that, even by his own admission, gave him the opportunity to gain early exposure when they were becoming contenders. And he complained about Tennessee having a "toxic atmosphere," in part due to his allegations that Tennessee continued to play EW when she was injured.

The sarcastic comments are just a way of giving him a dose of his own medicine. Sauce for the goose.

However, it by some chance the injury did turn out to be more serious than thought, would you still have the same attitude toward putting her back in? That would be a pretty damning look for a coach, especially since she had already played 37 minutes.

Last edited:
Nyara Sabally had an injury scare in the fourth quarter. On defense, she followed her defender into the paint and looked to twist her left ankle. She was helped off the court and seen in noticeable discomfort heading back to the locker room. Sabally then re-entered the game minutes later, but was still limping a bit. She finished the game.

However, it by some chance the injury did turn out to be more serious than thought, would you still have the same attitude toward putting her back in? That would be a pretty damning look for a coach, especially since she had already played 37 minutes.

Remember the Duke-Tennessee game in 2004 when Loree Moore went down with a knee injury, only to go to the bench for a few moments, then come back in and hit a big 3? Went back to the bench shortly afterwards, and it was announced a few days later that she had torn her ACL. No one would ever accuse Pat of not putting Loree's health first, and it was one of those things where Loree was probably running on adrenaline and felt that she was ok to go back in and the coaching staff had no reason not to take her word for it.

People are making way too much out of this. I'm sure it hurt, but she wouldn't be the first (nor the last) player to play with a twisted ankle.

It has started like i said it would Kennady Tucker (5-10 SO point guard, Little Rock, AR) has entered her name into the transfer portal, out of North Carolina WBB; she had originally committed to Mississippi State before choosing UNC
Low-ranked backup PG who probably sees the writing on the wall with Kayla McPherson coming in. Can't say I'm surprised.

Remember the Duke-Tennessee game in 2004 when Loree Moore went down with a knee injury, only to go to the bench for a few moments, then come back in and hit a big 3? Went back to the bench shortly afterwards, and it was announced a few days later that she had torn her ACL. No one would ever accuse Pat of not putting Loree's health first, and it was one of those things where Loree was probably running on adrenaline and felt that she was ok to go back in and the coaching staff had no reason not to take her word for it.

People are making way too much out of this. I'm sure it hurt, but she wouldn't be the first (nor the last) player to play with a twisted ankle.
Same thing I believe with another UConn player right around the same time frame. 2006? Jessica Moore?

Found this on WIKI - "During the championship game (the 3rd Championship) Moore suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injury in the second half of the game. She remained in the game finishing with 14 points, and nine rebounds despite the injury that would require surgery. "

Is this a Moore thing??....lol.

You're missing the point(s).

1. A definitely would hsve accused Pat of not caring if hw was tryong to get a UT transfer elugible. That's the point...he did what he alleges TN did to EW. It's called hypocrisy.

2. Did anyone ever ask Pat if she had any regrets about putting Moore back in?

I can't speak for other posrers, buy I was being sarcastic when pointing out A's hypocrisy and the obvious contradictions about the importance of the game to him despite his snide remarks about TN (which continued after the game, btw). He's a good, maybe great, motivator of alpha types and implementation of bb philosophies. Sadly, he still remains a fairly sorry, thin-skinned, egotistical individual. Even he has acknowledged his own shortcomings, but then he returns to his old nature like a dog returning to its own vomit.

Pat wasn't perfect, either. She made mistakes with players at times and had her own ego (most highly successful coaches do). But she would never have publicly insulted a highly-regarded coach looked upon my many as the leading ambassador and elder stateswonan for women's bb...who had gone out of her way to give his program national exposure...in order to promote herself (and then try to shrug it off as just promoting a rivalry for "good tv" as though this is WWE). The classic game reruns last Thursday was a stark reminder of his in-game antics. He's like the Eddie Haskell of women's basketball.

To be frank. I thought Lane Kiffin was in that same mold even though he was winning before he jumped overboard and let the UT ship run aground. And I know some fams like that brash, needling approach (when it's our coach and not Spurrier taunting us). And there are credible reports of unfounded personal rumors that A whispered to recruits. But the public disrespect is enough to hold A accountable as a jerk who just happens to be good at one thing.

So forgive us if we dish back a little of his own insults. It took a lot to make Pat drop an important series (remember Duke?), and she had enough personal experience with him to decide she'd had enough. Anyone who thinks A has more character than Pat and is just the innocent victim of smear campaigns (how ironic) is either a UConn homer or hasn't been paying attention.

And we felt that way when we still had the upper hand in national championships, too, so there's no "envy" there. As far as I'm concerned, UConn can have him. Regardless of how many titles he ends up with, I'd be ashamed to have him represent our team.

Those for whom winning is everything will disagree.

Lots going on in the SEC today.

This Kentucky game is very important for UT today. We’re in a similar position as last season. If we win we set ourselves up much better for a top 4 finish in the SEC. If we lose we fall into a scrum of six 2 loss teams. Hopefully we can seal a win today and stay in the top 3 in the league.

SC is going to have an interesting game today I believe. LSU has held everyone, or been very close to holding everyone, to their season low in scoring. They matchup pretty well with SC. If Aifuwa and Trasi can stay out of foul trouble they have enough size to slow them down on the interior. LSU played them tough last season and SC only put up 63 pts in that one with a better team IMO. If SC doesn’t come to play today they could be stunned in Baton Rouge.

I think Bama will handle Auburn but it’s a rivalry game so it could be a close one. Auburn appears to have played better Thursday but I haven’t watched that game. They only lost by 5 to UK after an abysmal start to their SEC season.

A&M will beat Missouri. Probably a low scoring affair. Something like 72-54. MIZZOU just doesn’t have the size to contend with both Jones and Johnson. Missouri is also pretty slow in addition to the lack of size.

Florida likely beats Ole Miss. Briggs has been playing well and they don’t matchup great with her. If Austin shows up and has a big game they could come out on top. She’s playing better as of late. They have dropped several close ones and are a much improved team this season. I’ll probably tune into that game some since they are our next opponent. Very much a trap game for us.

There are truly no nights off in the SEC this season. Top to bottom everyone has gotten better. Aside from MSST who appears to have taken the two steps back that Texas has taken forward.

Last edited:
Two things here:
And he complained about Tennessee having a "toxic atmosphere," in part due to his allegations that Tennessee continued to play EW when she was injured.

Creek, didn't they do that? I mean, since leaving Tennessee has had two knee surgeries. And while at Tennessee she played 30+ MPG over two seasons without missing a game.

I don't know...I only play a doctor on TV.

I'm cranky without RU basketball being played. Their last game was January 3rd. The next four games were postponed including today's against Iowa. Next scheduled game is 1/28 against Maryland. That would be 25 games without a game. It could get ugly....if they even play it.

MSST will have had 11 days off before they play SC and then they will have a full week off after that before they play us. Guess it could be viewed as unfair either way, but seems kinda BS that they get to play two of the better teams in the league on well rested legs.

Mainly due to Vandy cancelling their season and MSST didn’t have any games they needed to re-schedule.

Still not a fan of these schools being able to cancel scot free. Clearly what Kara said about their cancellation being player driven was BS. All those transfers obviously want to play which means it wasn’t a unanimous decision. That’s a bad look for a first year head coach IMO. She’s obviously the one who had a problem with playing, some of her players might have agreed, but clearly not all of them. Should have stepped up and owned that herself. Not impressed with her first foray into the coaching world. So far very glad we have CKJH instead.

Did not realize that a triple double is so rare. Boston has had two and is tied all time with two other SEC players. First one we've ever had in SEC competition and against Uga in only her second year. Started off a bit slower than last year but she seems to be hitting her stride. If you haven't heard her interviews you'll be impressed. She's such a modest and likable young lady. Maybe if she breaks the record for triple doubles we can ask Volnation to approve a banner. ;)

Did not realize that a triple double is so rare. Boston has had two and is tied all time with two other SEC players. First one we've ever had in SEC competition and against Uga in only her second year. Started off a bit slower than last year but she seems to be hitting her stride. If you haven't heard her interviews you'll be impressed. She's such a modest and likable young lady. Maybe if she breaks the record for triple doubles we can ask Volnation to approve a banner. ;)
Request denied

About to watch Indiana and Northwestern. Start to a big time stretch for Indiana. Hopefully they’ll pick up the W today. So far they are second in the Big 10. If they can stay there that makes our win over them on the road huge for the Net rankings.

Coming up they’ll face Michigan State, Ohio State and Indiana. All pretty tough teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Oh lord. I just turned in to NC/ND and the FIRST thing I hear Holly say is something to the effect of, “effort is hard to coach.” Nothing has changed. 🤦🏼‍♂️

In my experience that’s one of the easiest things to coach. To me it’s a basic expectation. You either play with effort or you don’t play. That’s the rule from day #1.

The female announcer on the Indiana game is so flippin annoying. She has soapboxed about COVID the ENTIRE game. STFU. We are playing basketball! Shut up, be thankful and call the game.

Sports are supposed to be an escape from day to day stressors. Let them be fun! The news segments can discuss the effects of the virus on the game. When the games are actually on just talk about the basketball being played. Not that hard.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back