Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Jillian is down to GA and UCLA

My gut feeling is she may go to the Dawgs
pity

Really is a pity. I thought UGA was headed the right direction under Taylor her first couple seasons. The wheels seem to have fallen off though. They have had some wonderful, talented players the last few seasons. Particularly at the guard spot. None of them improved much, and a couple have regressed badly. Reminds a bit of our situation a few seasons a ago.

As a forward Caliya Robinson was a wasted talent. She could have been a Natasha Howard type player but she was never given the opportunity to get there. Girl could shoot the ball from deep at 6’3”, great length, good rebounder. When I saw her as a freshman I thought for certain she’d be tearing it up in the W someday with her frame and skill.

Should have averaged about 20 and 10. Instead she ended up pulling in most of her points off broken plays and offensive rebounds her entire career. Never looked consistent and her skill set stayed basically the same. Her averages were 1 point and 1 rebound better as a senior than as a freshman. UGA didn’t seem to have any sort of system to get her the ball in the right spots. I think Jillian would have a better experience and improve more at UCLA.

Hoping for a great Lady Vol season. Really hope to see a different intensity from our ladies when they take the floor. Hoping we can see some of the fruits of the new coaching staff. Last year was a wash for me, a transition year.

Really is a pity. I thought UGA was headed the right direction under Taylor her first couple seasons. The wheels seem to have fallen off though. They have had some wonderful, talented players the last few seasons. Particularly at the guard spot. None of them improved much, and a couple have regressed badly. Reminds a bit of our situation a few seasons a ago.

As a forward Caliya Robinson was a wasted talent. She could have been a Natasha Howard type player but she was never given the opportunity to get there. Girl could shoot the ball from deep at 6’3”, great length, good rebounder. When I saw her as a freshman I thought for certain she’d be tearing it up in the W someday with her frame and skill.

Should have averaged about 20 and 10. Instead she ended up pulling in most of her points off broken plays and offensive rebounds her entire career. Never looked consistent and her skill set stayed basically the same. Her averages were 1 point and 1 rebound better as a senior than as a freshman. UGA didn’t seem to have any sort of system to get her the ball in the right spots. I think Jillian would have a better experience and improve more at UCLA.

Hoping for a great Lady Vol season. Really hope to see a different intensity from our ladies when they take the floor. Hoping we can see some of the fruits of the new coaching staff. Last year was a wash for me, a transition year.

Maybe she can be talked out of it....UCLA is still a consideration for her also and if Azzi was to shock the world and go there, Jillian might follow her.

But as for me, I am holding onto the 10% chance she can be persuaded to go to TN

Former Lady Vol recruit Kyndall Hunter has committed to TX. Great job by Vic Schaefer and his coaching staff in reeling in a tremendous 2021 recruiting class in just 7 months on the job, and not even having coached his first game at Texas yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1reVOLver
Las Vegas should be ashamed of themselves. They completely gave up in the 3rd quarter of the game tonight. Seattle wound up winning by 33 points. A total team collapse by Las Vegas.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
that big center missing easy shots at the start of the second half took the heart right out of the team. stewart kicked their arses and made em like it too. that was the only game i watched in the whole wnba season and that was just the second half. was bored...

Reactions: GameTime
that big center missing easy shots at the start of the second half took the heart right out of the team. stewart kicked their arses and made em like it too. that was the only game i watched in the whole wnba season and that was just the second half. was bored...
wow thats sad there was a hell of alot more entertaining games this season.....to be fair Las Vegas overachieved the didnt have Kelsey Plum and Liz Cambage there was just no way they were gonna compete with the depth of Seattle...not to mention Las Vegas had to resort to a post player that retired in 2019 but unretired becuz of the absence of Liz Cambage....A'ja put this team on her back but with a team like Seattle who has Stewie, Jewell Llyod,Sue Bird,Jordin Canada....has a deep post depth in Natasha Howard and Mercedes who can come in and contribute !!!

anyways Congrats to the Storm hope they get broken up this offszn their depth is a problem!!!

Reactions: gule
wow thats sad there was a hell of alot more entertaining games this season.....to be fair Las Vegas overachieved the didnt have Kelsey Plum and Liz Cambage there was just no way they were gonna compete with the depth of Seattle...not to mention Las Vegas had to resort to a post player that retired in 2019 but unretired becuz of the absence of Liz Cambage....A'ja put this team on her back but with a team like Seattle who has Stewie, Jewell Llyod,Sue Bird,Jordin Canada....has a deep post depth in Natasha Howard and Mercedes who can come in and contribute !!!

anyways Congrats to the Storm hope they get broken up this offszn their depth is a problem!!!

Losing Dearica Hamby pretty much ended any shot that LV had at winning the title. Hamby's energy and defense would have made this a more competitive series.

The Aces were missing Derica Hamby. She was their 2nd leading scorer & rebounder. And a great defender. With her the Aces beat the Storm twice in the regular season.

The Aces were missing Derica Hamby. She was their 2nd leading scorer & rebounder. And a great defender. With her the Aces beat the Storm twice in the regular season.
The first loss was without Bird and the second loss the coach held out Bird and Stewie.

The first loss was without Bird and the second loss the coach held out Bird and Stewie.

Seattle was good a really well built team who was healthy. they were the best team in the Wubble this year. We saw a dominant team who played to their potential.

HOWEVER, while they will be the favorite Las Vegas has a more talented team to me coming back. Liz Cambage (attitude and all), Dearica Hamby, and Kelsey Plum all coming back will make a difference.

BUT also the Mystics will get back Elena Delle Donne (last year’s MVP), their starting PG who is one of the best perimeter defensive players in the league, Latoya Sanders who their coach said is their best defensive player, oh and since you like Uconn they will have Tina Charles on their roster. They will have a great starting 5 but then their bench with Emma Messeman, Ariel Powers, Myeshia Hines-Allen (who was named All- Wnba second team), and other. They will be ready to rock with the best of them.

BUT also the Mystics will get back Elena Delle Donne (last year’s MVP), their starting PG who is one of the best perimeter defensive players in the league, Latoya Sanders who their coach said is their best defensive player, oh and since you like Uconn they will have Tina Charles on their roster. They will have a great starting 5 but then their bench with Emma Messeman, Ariel Powers, Myeshia Hines-Allen (who was named All- Wnba second team), and other. They will be ready to rock with the best of them.

I have no idea what they do about the Charles, EDD, Meeseman, Saunders, Hines-Allen logjam. Good problem to have, though.

Seattle was good a really well built team who was healthy. they were the best team in the Wubble this year. We saw a dominant team who played to their potential.

HOWEVER, while they will be the favorite Las Vegas has a more talented team to me coming back. Liz Cambage (attitude and all), Dearica Hamby, and Kelsey Plum all coming back will make a difference.

Also I'd like to see Maya come back and team with the ROY and the other ROY.

she would make things interesting but i don’t she puts them above the other three teams i mentioned. but hey who knows. She is enjoying married life i wonder if she will even go back to MN.

Has Maya been playing at all the last 2 years? I'd think she'd have a hard time coming back after being out of the sport for a few years. Collier is basically her replacement in the lineup, Dantas is playing very well, and Fowles is Fowles...so I'm not sure Maya coming back would be good for team chemistry.

Still think Seattle, LV and Washington will be head and shoulders above the rest of the league.

I have no idea what they do about the Charles, EDD, Meeseman, Saunders, Hines-Allen logjam. Good problem to have, though.
It definitely is, I don't see all of them returning. Think moves will definitely be made to add to what is currently a loaded roster. Emma being one that I could see sitting out due to her National team requirements

Has Maya been playing at all the last 2 years? I'd think she'd have a hard time coming back after being out of the sport for a few years. Collier is basically her replacement in the lineup, Dantas is playing very well, and Fowles is Fowles...so I'm not sure Maya coming back would be good for team chemistry.

Still think Seattle, LV and Washington will be head and shoulders above the rest of the league.
I think you're right and now more than ever and I think Maya (if she was to return to the W) would decide to play elsewhere

Yeah, I agree those teams are loaded. I am sure rust would be an issue if it Maya were to return. My post was just wishful thinking because I would like to see her play again.. Maya moore would always be good for team chemistry. She is a very high character individual who achieves what she pursues.

she would make things interesting but i don’t she puts them above the other three teams i mentioned. but hey who knows. She is enjoying married life i wonder if she will even go back to MN.
Two years is a long time and people change. I am sure she has her plate full with her social justice work which is more important than hoops. I'd just like to see an elegant player return.

Dara Mabrey (5-7 JR guard, Belmar, NJ) gets a waiver for immediate eligibility at Notre Dame, following her transfer from Virginia Tech

Speaking of ND they postponed their game against uconn to the following season. Last week Geno said he expected to play all his marquee non conference games such as Baylor, SC, TN, and ND. ND officials told Uconn they would not be one of the 4-5 non-conference games because of they wanted teams in closer proximity to the campus.

While this is a NonLV thread this could clearly impact TN if ND deems traveling to Knox is too far.

Speaking of ND they postponed their game against uconn to the following season. Last week Geno said he expected to play all his marquee non conference games such as Baylor, SC, TN, and ND. ND officials told Uconn they would not be one of the 4-5 non-conference games because of they wanted teams in closer proximity to the campus.

While this is a NonLV thread this could clearly impact TN if ND deems traveling to Knox is too far.

Likely not going to fly this year, makes sense.

VN Store

Back