Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

the discussion on the name change for Rupp Arena, remember that the gym that Ky baskeball administrators would not let the women team play in for 20+ years. the attached paragraph voiced by a current Ky men's basketball forward is going to become heard and reheard from college athletes. "I think people have a difficult time separating the athlete from the sport that they play," Brooks said. "Just because I go and play basketball ... that does not mean I don't have morals and values and opinions and views on certain things. We have strong views on topics just like the fans do. ... They just want us to go out there, entertain them for an hour or two and shut up. But that's not going to work. That's not how this is."

I would hope this board can maintain civility in the ongoing discussions that will continue - as the morals and values and opinions and views of women basketball athletes are vocalized as has happened in all professional sports.

even recruiting could change (smile)

the attached paragraph voiced by a current Ky men's basketball forward is going to become heard and reheard from college athletes. "I think people have a difficult time separating the athlete from the sport that they play," Brooks said. "Just because I go and play basketball ... that does not mean I don't have morals and values and opinions and views on certain things. We have strong views on topics just like the fans do. ... They just want us to go out there, entertain them for an hour or two and shut up. But that's not going to work. That's not how this is."

all Americans have the right to have an opinion and to express it -- no one has the right to force me to hear their opinion, though -- I attend athletic events to watch athletics -- if you want to use the venue to force me to hear your opinion, I will just stop attending -- end of that story

all Americans have the right to have an opinion and to express it -- no one has the right to force me to hear their opinion, though -- I attend athletic events to watch athletics -- if you want to use the venue to force me to hear your opinion, I will just stop attending -- end of that story

Great. Stop attending.

You’re absolutely right. Stop attending.

"to watch athletics" to requote the Ky student - "people have difficulty separating the person from the sport they play"

One of the reason I was a supporter of the Lady Vols the many years I lived in Knoxville was I met and talked with many of the young women. And we discussed many things other than basketball. How many personal references our boarders share about the team, coaches, players and family.

with a smile The end of the story? no expect many additional epilogues

Okay, great! More tickets for true fans.

Right!

PS... I LOVE Sugs aggressive nature. i really think she can make the team next year as a back up pg because she can find the open player and she could be on the back court dogging opponents with atkins, cloud, powers, or whomever else. A back court with options like Cloud, powers, atkins, sug, Leslie, and if Mitchell could stick would be versatile and productive. You have Elena who can play the 3 but the forwards and posts would have EDD, Messeman (depending on her overseas commitments), Saunders, Charles, and Hynes- Allen, and Hawkins.

versatile group who could be good defensively and REALLY good offensively.

why does being a True fan entail going along with every hair-brained "social justice" scheme those professional victims can peddle to the media?

is this going to be of your rhetorical questions that you post to stir the pot but have no intent in answering if a conversation starts?

Last edited:
Right!

PS... I LOVE Sugs aggressive nature. i really think she can make the team next year as a back up pg because she can find the open player and she could be on the back court dogging opponents with atkins, cloud, powers, or whomever else. A back court with options like Cloud, powers, atkins, sug, Leslie, and if Mitchell could stick would be versatile and productive. You have Elena who can play the 3 but the forwards and posts would have EDD, Messeman (depending on her overseas commitments), Saunders, Charles, and Hynes- Allen, and Hawkins.

versatile group who could be good defensively and REALLY good offensively.
So true! I’m so proud of her. She definitely has the skill level to play in the WNBA. I’m so glad she has had the opportunity to show it.

ah, you're gonna play the "true fan" card -- now, let's see, who gets to decide who is a "true fan"? Why it's YOU, of course --- LMAO

why is this an issue at all? you said you weren’t attending for one reason or another. So why is this a thing? Why are you bothered why they think you aren’t a “true” fan if you aren’t attending or worried about their games?

if they are the self- appointed “true fan” appointer why does it matter when you, yourself said you were disengaged? LOL i know i wouldn’t care about what goes on with a team i am not a fan of...

why is this an issue at all? you said you weren’t attending for one reason or another. So why is this a thing? Why are you bothered why they think you aren’t a “true” fan if you aren’t attending or worried about their games?

if they are the self- appointed “true fan” appointer why does it matter when you, yourself said you were disengaged? LOL i know i wouldn’t care about what goes on with a team i am not a fan of...

Is's all in a name
Hoosier-(phonetically) "Whoseyour" fan

Reactions: stlvolsfan
my original introduction of the topic included : I would hope this board can maintain civility in the ongoing discussions that will continue -

Let's step up. No more being quiet, no more being afraid to talk the topics, no more 'I'm a little bit uncomfortable, I might lose my job over this because I've taken a stand here or there.' Screw it. We can't do that anymore.
Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll, who called on his fellow white coaches to fight for social justice and open themselves up to Black perspectives.

Hoosier, I understand why you and others would like your enjoyment of human athletes to be similar to watching horseraces or grayhounds compete. Right or wrong, good or bad, for or against, the intersection of athletics and the opinions, values and morals of the players is with us - worldwide.

My concern is always raised when someone speaks or writes with a tone - I am right - end of story!

Is's all in a name
Hoosier-(phonetically) "Whoseyour" fan
my, how clever -- so let me see, this is sort of like those folks who go around harassing people in restaurants insisting that they raise their arms in the mob's special salute, and if they refuse to comply, they get the mob yelling in their face and threatening them, sort of like that -- thanks for your concern

Reactions: Darth_Vol
So everyone, how's your team looking. Any insider info on what's going on in practice? Are you starting to line up 2022 recruiting yet? You know one of the reason's I like this forum is because its a basketball forum and I don't have to wade through everybody's opinion of the right wine to serve or your favorite move or any other non-basketball topics. there's plenty of other forums to vent on other stuff.

VN Store

Back