Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Kellie has a great 2021 class which may or may not be done depending on what Hollingshead does come spring semester. There is going to be a HUGE BOOM (as coach Sully would say) for 2022, but I’ll digress on that . Wouldn’t want to excite Darth anymore . Go Lady Vols !

Hollingshead is making her decision in the spring? Not disputing your claim but this is the first I have heard of this.

Hollingshead is making her decision in the spring? Not disputing your claim but this is the first I have heard of this.
Teens always change their mind in terms of when their decision will be made, but:
Consensus top-30 Jillian Hollingshead taking her time

While most prospects will sign in the early signing period in the winter, don’t count Hollingshead among that group.

“I am going to sign at the end of my senior year,” said said. ”I am taking my time. I was going to take a lot of visits this year but Covid happened. And that pushed me back in the recruiting process. You want to look at everything and not make a mistake, so I am going to take my time.”

Thanks!! Yeah this will allow a lot of teams to make up some growing for her. UCLA looks to be coming on strong. Looks like Mississippi State is fading and Georgia still looks strong for Hollingshead. A long way to go here!

Reactions: stlvolsfan
Thanks!! Yeah this will allow a lot of teams to make up some growing for her. UCLA looks to be coming on strong. Looks like Mississippi State is fading and Georgia still looks strong for Hollingshead. A long way to go here!

I thought you didn’t hear she was waiting until spring? So how are you in the know ... i think you’re either pulling our leg or letting on WAY more than you know 🤔

i am just messing wit ya 😂

Reactions: Tyree02
I watched a WBB game today between Duke and North Carolina from 2004 and one announcer said Alana Beard wanted badly to attend Tennessee but the recruitment fell through. Does anyone know why? She was one of the best players during her years in college.

I watched a WBB game today between Duke and North Carolina from 2004 and one announcer said Alana Beard wanted badly to attend Tennessee but the recruitment fell through. Does anyone know why? She was one of the best players during her years in college.

Beard wasn't highly ranked coming out of HS. Neither Tennessee nor UConn gave her the time of day. I remember a story during one of the NCAAT when Alana' recruitment came up, and Geno Auriemma said to both Mickie DeMoss and Chris Dailey that they should be fired for missing out on her. She sure could have made a huge difference for Tennessee those four years, and maybe UConn doesn't win 3 titles if she was in orange.

Recruiting "out of sight" was a lot harder in that era; coaches relied on their networks, their relationships, and their own in-person observation to make decisions on scholarship offers. For women's sports, that usually produced good results -- there weren't many game changers in high school, and the standout players were spotted and communicated to their respective networks. BUT. That system didn't catch everyone. Beard literally fell through the cracks. Now, granted, Beard had tapes sent to both schools, but Tennessee and UConn received taped recruiting pitches from players and their coaches all the time -- lots of them. Every week. Had anyone seen her play in person, they would have made sure to offer her, but it just didn't work out that way.

Beard wasn't highly ranked coming out of HS. Neither Tennessee nor UConn gave her the time of day. I remember a story during one of the NCAAT when Alana' recruitment came up, and Geno Auriemma said to both Mickie DeMoss and Chris Dailey that they should be fired for missing out on her. She sure could have made a huge difference for Tennessee those four years, and maybe UConn doesn't win 3 titles if she was in orange.
What was she ranked? Can’t seem to find it. 1999, right?

Recruiting "out of sight" was a lot harder in that era; coaches relied on their networks, their relationships, and their own in-person observation to make decisions on scholarship offers. For women's sports, that usually produced good results -- there weren't many game changers in high school, and the standout players were spotted and communicated to their respective networks. BUT. That system didn't catch everyone. Beard literally fell through the cracks. Now, granted, Beard had tapes sent to both schools, but Tennessee and UConn received taped recruiting pitches from players and their coaches all the time -- lots of them. Every week. Had anyone seen her play in person, they would have made sure to offer her, but it just didn't work out that way.

We had Kara coming in that year, hard to get many recruits to look when you've signed one of the best

There is going to be a HUGE BOOM (as coach Sully would say) for 2022, but I’ll digress on that . Wouldn’t want to excite Darth anymore . Go Lady Vols !

I'm so excited I can hardly stand it...
b1c6a6aed61e41319558902d3b96886e.jpeg

isn’t the story that her recruitment “tape” got misplaced or lost ?

What was she ranked? Can’t seem to find it. 1999, right?
Alana was 2000. Back then, I think Bluestar was the main ranking resource, and she wasn't top 50. But she was a HS AA, so I guess her stock rose her senior year after she already committed to Duke.

isn’t the story that her recruitment “tape” got misplaced or lost ?
So it's been said.

"Early in high school Beard had longed to go to Tennessee. Sometime during the spring of '99 Heat coach John Rennie sent av videotapeto Knoxville that showed Beard scoring 24 points
against a team of All-Stars two years her senior. It was, alas,one of about 15 unsolicited tapes the Lady Vols receive everyw week DeMoss, a Louisianian, says that Beard's tape, regrettably,
was mislaid in the film room. (For her part, Connecticut's Dailey did see Beard play but had heard she didn't want to leave Louisiana. "My mistake was not to at least make a phone call,"
Dailey says.)"

Alana was 2000. Back then, I think Bluestar was the main ranking resource, and she wasn't top 50. But she was a HS AA, so I guess her stock rose her senior year after she already committed to Duke.
She had some pretty good HS accolades but like you said, it was in her senior year.

“As a senior, named Gatorade’s Louisiana Player of the Year, USA Today Louisiana Player of the Year, Miss Basketball in Louisiana and USA Today second team All-America ... Parade Magazine second team All-America, WBCA All-America, L’adidas All-America, Nike All-America, Orlando Sentinel All-Southern team, Student Sports All-America, Street & Smith’s All-America honorable mention, 5A All-State and All-District ... guided her Southwood High School team to four straight Louisiana state titles ... won 53 straight games to conclude her high school career ... did not lose a home or district game in four years ... as a senior, averaged 24.7 points, 7.9 rebounds, 4.1 assists, 4.2 steals, and 1.2 blocks, as she led Southwood to an undefeated 36-0 mark, the Louisiana state title, and a final national ranking of No. 21 by USA Today ... posted double-figure scoring in 35 of 36 games played as a senior, including one with 48 points ... had 12 games with 30 or more points and 25 games with 20 or more points ... notched six double-doubles (points/rebounds) as a senior ... tallied 15 points and seven rebounds for the White Team in the Phoenix/WBCA All-America game ... poured in 48 points and 20 rebounds in her final high school game in the state championship”.

VN Store

Back