Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

You are saying that as a fact...you have no clue what would happen if or when Dawn left. The fan base and her pay at 2M makes it a dream job for any coach. I would not even suggest that either that would happen, or that Miss St will not be as good....you make a lot of assumptions.
Old Dominion and La Tech were once dream jobs too. I’m not stating anything as fact, I’m simply saying the odds of all of them staying aren’t that great. You’re seeing things through maroon colored glasses.

But the recruits want to play for a winner. The winner is Dawn, not SC.

This is so true.....As long as a coach is winning titles, their roster is usually loaded with more talent than they can play....

It does look like Geno and Dawn are the hottest show in town....Just the way I see it for now folks....

But the recruits want to play for a winner. The winner is Dawn, not SC.

Using MSST as an example, if Nikki puts together a similar season for them as this past year, then she will have no problem picking right up where Vic left off with recruiting. The identity of who the "winner" is will have moved from the coach to the program. Holly had no problems with recruiting her first few years where she was able to keep Tennessee in the top 16 and somewhat relevant. It wasn't until after she drove the bus off the cliff that Tennessee has dropped to "also ran" status on the recruiting trails, and Kellie is the one paying the price because the Tennessee brand name is not as strong as it used to be.

Using MSST as an example, if Nikki puts together a similar season for them as this past year, then she will have no problem picking right up where Vic left off with recruiting. The identity of who the "winner" is will have moved from the coach to the program. Holly had no problems with recruiting her first few years where she was able to keep Tennessee in the top 16 and somewhat relevant. It wasn't until after she drove the bus off the cliff that Tennessee has dropped to "also ran" status on the recruiting trails, and Kellie is the one paying the price because the Tennessee brand name is not as strong as it used to be.

So true Amb....I've never seen a head coach care so little about offense as Holly did....Her idea of offense was throw the ball to the big girl....That was about it.

Whenever the opponents played a zone against us, it was like trying to unscramble a Rubik's Cube....So painful to watch.

The top coaches of today (Dawn, Geno, Vic, and some others) know the value of the 3 ball and use it to their advantage, not just throw it to the big girl offense...
190910_wn_osunsami_645_hpMain_16x9_992.jpg

So true Amb....I've never seen a head coach care so little about offense as Holly did....Her idea of offense was throw the ball to the big girl....That was about it.

Whenever the opponents played a zone against us, it was like trying to unscramble a Rubik's Cube....So painful to watch.

The top coaches of today (Dawn, Geno, Vic, and some others) know the value of the 3 ball and use it to their advantage, not just throw it to the big girl offense...
190910_wn_osunsami_645_hpMain_16x9_992.jpg

And that's where I hope Kellie shows that she understands her personnel and doesn't just trot out the same, tired offense regardless of who she has on the team like Holly did. It was infuriating watching Holly try to use Cheridene Green last year like she was Mercedes Russell. Good coaches adapt their offensive playbook based on the makeup of the team. All the coaches you mentioned have teams that play very differently on offense based on who their go to player is and what the overall strengths of the team are. It was encouraging to see Kellie not just force the ball into Key every possession since she recognizes that Tamari isn't skilled enough to build your offense around, but the flip side is that there was still too much 1-on-5 hero ball resulting in turnovers, stagnant ball movement, and a lot of standing around...

So true again Amb....Our girls on offense stood around way too much....It did appear there was a conditioning problem with a few of them....No names, but most of us know who needed a breather every few trips down the court....As young as they are, they should be able to run and run again....A tired body is an ineffective player on the court....

This will be a new season, with new hopes....I'm looking forward to seeing Darby pop the demon ball and the Suarez girl show us her zeal for the basket too.....Sure hope this damn virus let's us have a season.....Damn virus!!!!!

Geno had better players. He even said that at the end of the game when UCONN lost this season. He said.."We always had the better players and this year they had the better players." He admitted that and you want to spin it as "he had her number"...that is you being disingenuous!

Give a rest lol the only reason they’re going so hard is because they know they’ll be looking up to SC at the top of the SEC. I didn’t even bother to reply to the thought of anyone thinking otherwise :rolleyes:

So...we beat the team that beat UCONN and you say that's why we won....lol....that would not be what you would have said if Tennessee had won the same way. I never get that someone could actually say UCONN would have won had we met them instead....but Miss St. beat them. It makes no sense....That team had already changed with Coates out into a very different team. I think they were faster and more problematic without Coates. It was a better team period.

had msu not knocked off uconn they would have almost certainly been the 2017 national champions.

Jasmine Shavers to MSST.

They are loading up on guards. I predict at least 1-2 will be hitting the transfer market...

Could be the case on the transfer ?, But i can say this Nikki McCray recruiting the players that will give her the best chance to win the SEC and beat SC.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Jayla Hemingway has already transferred! Just saying...
Hemingway could see the writing on the wall. The other freshmen established themselves as rotation players this season, and Jayla did not. Then you have Hayes coming in next year, and she knew it was an uphill climb.

They will have 5 PGs in 2021. One of the freshmen would probably benefit from a redshirt year.

The hate is unnecessary lmao I honestly care less about your concern or your opinion 🥴😂
I think you’re overly sensitive. I’ve actually said great things about Dawn and staff and I think they’re going to be a hell of a team. Hey take it however you want to.🤷🏾‍♀️

Hemingway could see the writing on the wall. The other freshmen established themselves as rotation players this season, and Jayla did not. Then you have Hayes coming in next year, and she knew it was an uphill climb.

They will have 5 PGs in 2021. One of the freshmen would probably benefit from a redshirt year.
5 PG's on ONE Roster and we have trouble getting ONE ELITE PG. the rich get richer it seems:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Could be the case on the transfer ?, But i can say this Nikki McCray recruiting the players that will give her the best chance to win the SEC and beat SC.

She has a ways to go. Really good recruiting class for her first year...considering she just started 3 months ago and had to do a lot of work from Zoom or Facetime...but not on the level of SC's haul. Still a few players on the board though. I'd be shocked if Nikki isn't going hard after Hollingshead.

She has a ways to go. Really good recruiting class for her first year...considering she just started 3 months ago and had to do a lot of work from Zoom or Facetime...but not on the level of SC's haul. Still a few players on the board though. I'd be shocked if Nikki isn't going hard after Hollingshead.
without transfer how many total players does Nikki have?? is she close to hitting the max

without transfer how many total players does Nikki have?? is she close to hitting the max

Not sure exactly, but 3 players will graduate after this coming season and they had 2 transfers and 1 reopened commitment. She could probably take at least another 3 players if she wanted to. I'd imagine though that if she can't get an elite post this class, she wouldn't recruit any more guards and would hit the Class of 22 hard for interior players. Having said that, McPherson has them in her top 5...

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
had msu not knocked off uconn they would have almost certainly been the 2017 national champions.
You are implying something that you can not back up. It's your opinion. We are the 2017 national champions and that is the only "fact"...the only "fact". So...facts are what matter not your opinion. It's much like a "proxy" wins or loses...That's not how it works. We were the last team standing in 2017 and UCONN wasn't even there period. Do you dismiss any of Tennessee's championships because a so called better team lost early on...no....you do not. It's just sour grapes at this point.

Last edited:
You are implying something that you can not back up. It's your opinion. We are the 2017 national champions and that is the only "fact"...the only "fact". So...facts are what matter not your opinion. It's much like a "proxy" wins or loses...That's not how it works. We were the last team standing in 2017 and UCONN wasn't even there period. Do you dismiss any of Tennessee's championships because a so called better team lost early on...no....you do not. It's just sour grapes at this point.

VN Store

Back