Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Like I said in another post two other commits for SC probably Johnson and the last either Key of Feagin. SC only had like a 10 offer list and only five left on the list after two are commits. Unless they have some offers we don't know about then has to be of these three. The others are Fudd and McPhaul and if Johnson committed that eliminates McPhaul. So choose the last from Feagin, Key and Fudd and that seems to narrow it to Feagin or Key. So like I stated long before anyone committed Hall, Rivers, Johnson, and Feagin. I am not at all certain that it is not Key instead of Feagin I only go with Feagin because of the situation SC has on the perimeter. They now have Henderson, Littleton, Cooke, Beal, Russell, Rivers, and Hall. Johnson would make it 8 perimeter players and four point guards.

There is also the possibility no Johnson and the final two are Key and Feagin with Key being a versatile player that can play 2,3,4. Of course Fudd may be going to SC.

I'm sticking with Rivers, Hall, Feagin, and Johnson let us see how it turns out.

Coaching all those teams gives one clout (even the national senior team) that others do not have or earned. Not saying this is the difference in her recruiting because I don’t think it is. I also am not blind enough to think there is no advantage given here.

PS welcome to the board

I think there's no question that having USA basketball coaching duties is a boost to one's coaching credentials, which in turn makes you more attractive in the recruiting trails...but in the same way as running a winning program, winning conference championships, making final fours, winning NCs does.

However, the idea that it provides an unfair recruiting advantage because HS recruits think playing for a SC or UConn will boost their chances of making the USA team because of the dual coaching roles is just sour grapes. Their USA coaching tenure will likely be long finished by the time the player is in a position to even be considered for the senior team.

I think there's no question that having USA basketball coaching duties is a boost to one's coaching credentials, which in turn makes you more attractive in the recruiting trails...but in the same way as running a winning program, winning conference championships, making final fours, winning NCs does.

However, the idea that it provides an unfair recruiting advantage because HS recruits think playing for a SC or UConn will boost their chances of making the USA team because of the dual coaching roles is just sour grapes. Their USA coaching tenure will likely be long finished by the time the player is in a position to even be considered for the senior team.

Right, so we said the same thing and I agree

Last edited:
Like I said in another post two other commits for SC probably Johnson and the last either Key of Feagin. SC only had like a 10 offer list and only five left on the list after two are commits. Unless they have some offers we don't know about then has to be of these three. The others are Fudd and McPhaul and if Johnson committed that eliminates McPhaul. So choose the last from Feagin, Key and Fudd and that seems to narrow it to Feagin or Key. So like I stated long before anyone committed Hall, Rivers, Johnson, and Feagin. I am not at all certain that it is not Key instead of Feagin I only go with Feagin because of the situation SC has on the perimeter. They now have Henderson, Littleton, Cooke, Beal, Russell, Rivers, and Hall. Johnson would make it 8 perimeter players and four point guards.

There is also the possibility no Johnson and the final two are Key and Feagin with Key being a versatile player that can play 2,3,4. Of course Fudd may be going to SC.

I'm sticking with Rivers, Hall, Feagin, and Johnson let us see how it turns out.
I agree, it's Johnson and Feagin.
A great class for Dawn.

I'm not so sure that she has. Coaches on staffs are not allowed to name names or specifically talk about prospects by name when they discuss their classes, but they do often tell reporters about what their class needs are in terms of positions. In FB, they'll tell you if they are needing to take 2 QB prospects or 1 or none, or if they need to replenish the OL or DL, etc. Nothing wrong with that.

With BB - men's or women's - they can tell you if they plan on bringing in a small class or a large one. Sometimes the limitation in available scholarships can set that narrative for them. But they can talk about if they need to have a class heavy on interior post depth or if they need perimeter guards. And again, nothing wrong at all with that.

All Staley did with her tweets, is tell us that her staff is taking at least 4 for this cycle. Perhaps one of them may be a "big". I don't see any cats scampering around.....

Dawn tweeted e Georgia peach in the nest.

Reactions: mcannon1
I get the excitement but I am so tired of Dawn's birdie tweets. Maybe the SC fans eat it up though. I am just happy TN plays it straight up until the player makes an announcement.

Reactions: JohnnyPayne
She could...'want' to be here to play with her sister...she could 'want' to be here to make it easier on the family...is there a "want to be here" that you would not accept...lol....
If she comes for the wrong reason she won’t stay. That’s the last thing I want.

Sania Feagan makes 3....it's official...
Sania Feagin, a consensus top-10 player from Ellenwood, Georgia, announced her commitment to Dawn Staley and the Gamecocks on Sunday, making her the second commitment in two days and the third in a week.

Feagin is ranked sixth in her class by ESPN, and the No. 2 forward.

Dawn originally tweeted Georgia peaches in the nest and since Feagan is from Ga. my guess would be Johnson from Atlanta as the fourth birdie.

If that's the case Carolina would end up with #2/3 Rivers, #6 Feagin, #13 Johnson and #26 Hall. Dawn had said earlier portal transfers for the upcoming season were an option but nothing more on that as of late.

Last edited:
Dawn originally tweeted Georgia peaches in the nest and since Feagan is from Ga. my guess would be Johnson from Atlanta as the fourth birdie.

If that's the case Carolina would end up with #2/3 Rivers, #6 Feagin, #13 Johnson and #26 Hall. Dawn had said earlier portal transfers for the upcoming season were an option but nothing more on that as of late.
McPherson and Hollingshead are also from Georgia

McPherson and Hollingshead are also from Georgia
Hollingshead makes sense and would probably be the most likely. McPherson hasn't even put out a list yet supposed to in couple weeks and think she said was in no hurry. Johnson is from Georgia and has been totally involved with SC so I think it could be her of course Hollingshead makes more sense for the roster.

Reactions: superfly
Hollingshead a 6"4" forward could provide an inside presence and shoots well from the key and maybe similar to Kiki's game prior to last year.
But Mad Kiki's outside shooting took off last season and was one reason her draft stock shot up. I'm missing her already.

Hollingshead a 6"4" forward could provide an inside presence and shoots well from the key and maybe similar to Kiki's game prior to last year.
But Mad Kiki's outside shooting took off last season and was one reason her draft stock shot up. I'm missing her already.

They got the Forward they wanted (Feagin) who is considered a stretch 4 and similar to KiKi. The next big they’re recruiting is Ashlyn Watkins to take over the Center position after Boston.

They got the Forward they wanted (Feagin) who is considered a stretch 4 and similar to KiKi. The next big they’re recruiting is Ashlyn Watkins to take over the Center position after Boston.

I think Watkins is a 10th grader but she was dunking as an 8th grader.

Reactions: SCspur
Watkins is a 2022 recruit.

Which would make her a 10th grader for the 19-20 school year. Depending on her school district and when they finish she could still be a sophomore or she could have advanced to be a junior. In VA we have some school districts that finished up and some that won’t finish until next week.

VN Store

Back