Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Id prefer any of the top recruits go anywhere but UConn even if its South Carolina. Dawn is not in the same ballpark as Gino when it comes to maximizing an elite players potential and player development, in general. Fudd could go to South Car and never win a title, which isnt the case if she goes to uconn. It just wouldnt make an iota of sense for Fudd to be one of the 4 recent commits.

Agreed. Geno is far scarier than Staley with elite talent. If Fudd joins Bueckers at UConn, we could be looking at a Bird/Taurasi level of domination all over again. Seriously...

Agreed. Geno is far scarier than Staley with elite talent. If Fudd joins Bueckers at UConn, we could be looking at a Bird/Taurasi level of domination all over again. Seriously...

Geno has been getting elite talent for years so of course he would have the edge but Dawn has just started getting elite recruits and now can field teams that can not only play against UConn but beat them as well. They will be very good but to say they will dominate is crazy. Other teams are loaded with talent as well and I think it will come down to about 4 to 5 teams these next couple season. I just know for SC a backcourt of Cooke, Rivers, and Beal would be a terror defensively to go against.

Reactions: stlvolsfan
Geno has been getting elite talent for years so of course he would have the edge but Dawn has just started getting elite recruits and now can field teams that can not only play against UConn but beat them as well. They will be very good but to say they will dominate is crazy. Other teams are loaded with talent as well and I think it will come down to about 4 to 5 teams these next couple season. I just know for SC a backcourt of Cooke, Rivers, and Beal would be a terror defensively to go against.
Once.

Before that UConn 8 wins, South Carolina 0.

I don’t like UConn, but I can’t stand the new arrogant South Carolina.

I don't agree.. If she gets Rivers and any 3 of Key Johnson Hall Feagin they will be loaded . REMEMBER they have Russell a talented player coming in tis year but you can add Amihere to that 20' class the #10 ranked player last year since it will be her first season due to redshirt.. Fudd (this is if she goes to UConn) is the real deal but she will be a freshman when Dawn's #1 class will have 2 years of college experience playing alongside a freshman class that will rival or be better than Uconn. We know how good SC freshman are and how they perform at the next level. Boston is an AA and the real deal and Cooke is going to be AA and Henderson is no slouch Brea Beal avg 20 minutes a game...) Let's wait until we see Bueckers and Geno's class play this year. UConn def won't dominate SC or Baylor.

Once.

How is that arrogant? If anything that’s confidence in the fact that Dawn can now compete against Geno and UCONN. No one can sit here and say SC always had the talent to matchup with them like they had this past year when that was never the case. Now we can see if Dawn can continue it with the playing field leveled. This is my last post pertaining to this because I don’t want to hijack this thread.

How is that arrogant? If anything that’s confidence in the fact that Dawn can now compete against Geno and UCONN. No one can’t sit here and say SC always had the talent to matchup with them like they had this past year when that was never the case. Now we can see if Dawn can continue it with the playing field leveled. This is my last post pertaining to this because I don’t want to hijack this thread.

Fans can be biased and/or blind when they "dislike" a team...I agree I think Dawn not only is getting better talent but her teams are getting deeper. She has gotten better as a coach handling elite players. It's not easy in the past she's has typical one dominant player maybe 2. Plus it was great move on her part to bring in consultants to work with players on winning , roles etc...

It does look like UConn and SC will be the dominant teams for the next 3-5 years....I really hate the thought of that, but that is how I see it...

I'm much more concerned with SC than I am with Uconn....SC is in our conference and is a constant headache, while UConn is just an occasional headache...
EnormousSnappyAmericanwigeon-size_restricted.gif

Fans can be biased and/or blind when they "dislike" a team...I agree I think Dawn not only is getting better talent but her teams are getting deeper. She has gotten better as a coach handling elite players. It's not easy in the past she's has typical one dominant player maybe 2. Plus it was great move on her part to bring in consultants to work with players on winning , roles etc...

Exactly! And if I’m not mistaken UConn does a work out with the Marines and also have team bonding instructors. The next couple seasons will be fun and intriguing.

I don't agree.. If she gets Rivers and any 3 of Key Johnson Hall Feagin they will be loaded . REMEMBER they have Russell a talented player coming in tis year but you can add Amihere to that 20' class the #10 ranked player last year since it will be her first season due to redshirt.. Fudd (this is if she goes to UConn) is the real deal but she will be a freshman when Dawn's #1 class will have 2 years of college experience playing alongside a freshman class that will rival or be better than Uconn. We know how good SC freshman are and how they perform at the next level. Boston is an AA and the real deal and Cooke is going to be AA and Henderson is no slouch Brea Beal avg 20 minutes a game...) Let's wait until we see Bueckers and Geno's class play this year. UConn def won't dominate SC or Baylor.
They are already loaded.

How is that arrogant? If anything that’s confidence in the fact that Dawn can now compete against Geno and UCONN. No one can sit here and say SC always had the talent to matchup with them like they had this past year when that was never the case. Now we can see if Dawn can continue it with the playing field leveled. This is my last post pertaining to this because I don’t want to hijack this thread.

Uh...Wilson, Coates, Herbert Harrington, Harris, Cooper, Davis, Gray. Everyone a first round draft pick.

They did have more talent last year When they finally won. A down year for UConn.

I don’t think that will be true this year.

Now I have to go wash out my mouth with soap after defending UConn.

Uh...Wilson, Coates, Herbert Harrington, Harris, Cooper, Davis, Gray. Everyone a first round draft pick.

They did have more talent last year When they finally won. A down year for UConn.

UConn had back to back #1 players, #3, and #4...and the only first team AA between the two teams. They had a down year by their standards, but not because of a lack of talent.

UConn had back to back #1 players, #3, and #4...and the only first team AA between the two teams. They had a down year by their standards, but not because of a lack of talent.
HS rankings vs WNBA draft position? I’ll take the draft for the talent level.

UConn might have the advantage there too, however to say South Carolina didn’t have the talent to compete is silly.

I will say that Dawn is a better coach now than she was a few years ago. That certainly helped last year. Not easy getting all those talented freshmen on the same page.

HS rankings vs WNBA draft position? I’ll take the draft for the talent level.

UConn might have the advantage there too, however to say South Carolina didn’t have the talent to compete is silly.

I will say that Dawn is a better coach now than she was a few years ago. That certainly helped last year. Not easy getting all those talented freshmen on the same page.
Ty Harris and Herbert Herrigan weren't that good as underclassmen. Ty couldn't shoot and MHH was a hot mess. Dawn developed both of them into top 10 draft picks. So it's not a convincing argument to use two lightly recruited players that developed into very solid players as Exhibit A for Dawn winning because she had a more talented team.

If my memory is right she had Davis, Gray and Cooper for only 1 year. No way can you evaluate their impact at SC due to their draft position. Regardless of talent she also had to find a way for each to have an impact over one season..Most of Uconn's impact players have stayed all 4.

Reactions: SCspur

Mitchell (#46 HG 4*, #15 G), Coates (#28 HG 4*, #4 P), Herbert-Harrigan (#72 HG 4*, #12 F). All 1st RD WNBA picks. Pretty decent testament to Staley's player development. Kelsey Bone was the first 5*-caliber talent Staley brought to USC in the 2009 class, and she transferred out after 1 year. A'ja Wilson was the next in the 2014 cycle. The program was still in a building process.

I have no idea who these 4 commits are - whether they are all from the 2021 cycle, or from the '22 cycle, or are any transfers. Seems like if it was a transfer from another program, then they would have announced it by now. The 4 5*'s of 2019 all announced within 17 days of each other - perhaps this class will do the same.

If all of these 4 are 5* prospects and from the '21 class, and no one transfers out of USC's program, that means for the 2021-22 season the Gamecocks will have at least twelve (12) former 5* players on the roster together. I know the "star" rating system hasn't been around for BB as long as it has for FB, but has Tennessee or any other WCBB program for that matter had (12) 5* caliber players on any one team before?

I'm still thinking that one of those 4 commits are going to be someone that no one has even mentioned yet...

Reactions: SCspur
Once.

This is not a "new" arrogant SC. It's a push back on the "now" vs the "past". To insinuate that South Carolina has not caught up to UCONN is false. It remains to be seen if they can sustain it but it's a real fact. You can argue that South Carolina has passed UCONN for now. The 8 wins...well that's true but Geno had better talent across the board each of those years. It wasn't so in 2020 and Dawn finally had more talent. That is absolutely the bottom line. It's not arrogance....it's the truth.

VN Store

Back