Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

You guys can both claim to be on top just as separate conference winners in reg. season and tournaments can hang banners and claim to be champions.

As far as the rest of us are concerned, the "reign" of any team ends within approximately 365 days (give or take a few days). If the tournament or the sport were canceled permanently, the last champion couldn't credibly claim to be "reigning champions." They'd simply be the last champion to be crowned.

It's like boxing. The reigning champions of weight divisions can't retain that status indefinitely. They have to periodically defend their titles within a specific time period or have their title stripped. Baylor will forever be 2019 champion, but their current title status expired in March.

Right now there is no '"reigning champion" because there is no 2020 champion (as NCAA history will show). The title is vacant until we have another championship.
There was no claim of banners or championships...I said we were No. 1 at the end of the season....we will be No. 1 at the beginning of the season...and until someone dislodges us...we rule the roost. Why is that so hard to understand...and to make statements about "games that might have been played" is irrelevant to any of that...lol....this "Cox didn't play...you didn't win the championship because it wasn't played...or Oregon or Baylor would have beaten you" (not a fact by any means...just pure speculation and different people think different on that) is also irrelevant. Facts...we were and are still THE No.1 TEAM IN THE COUNTRY !!!!! ...therefore...WE RULE THE ROOST....are you guys having fun yet...because I am...gule started this whole thing...lol.....curse you gule...lol...

Reactions: SCspur
Until a defending champion is defeated on the court, in a championship tourney, they are still the champions. That's why they are referred to as "The Defending Champions"...

It would have been a hell of a lot of fun watching you guys, Baylor, Oregon, and a few other top teams go at it, but it didn't happen...

Baylor retains the title...
hi-res-8459f89a7e21e9e202ddd5ed67724443_crop_north.jpg

I understand the points, but the official NCAA records will show that there was no champion in 2020. And there was no two-peat for Baylor, and there won't be another trophy in their case for this year.

A team can only be the "defending" champion if they actually have to defend the title. That opportunity expired in March.

I know, I know...this is all semantics and the whole discussion is just for fun. If they want to declare themselves still champions, no harm done to us. I don't think we were going to win it all this year anyway. If the team ranked #1 at the end of the season wants to still be #1, fine. If the preseason #1 wants to claim to be #1 if the season gets cancelled, fine.

We're all winners, and everyone gets a participation trophy!

But muh Sally Mae is still the defending Miss Pure Pork of the Podunk County Fair, dagnabbit!

56264a40693cf.image.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Smallvol#1
I understand the points, but the official NCAA records will show that there was no champion in 2020. And there was no two-peat for Baylor, and there won't be another trophy in their case for this year.

A team can only be the "defending" champion if they actually have to defend the title. That opportunity expired in March.

I know, I know...this is all semantics and the whole discussion is just for fun. If they want to declare themselves still champions, no harm done to us. I don't think we were going to win it all this year anyway.

What about “Reigning” National champion?

Search Results

The reigning champion is the most recent winner of a contest or competition at the time you are talking about

By definition the most recent NCAA tourney was in 2019 so they are still National Champs?

I love this discussion.. it gets my mind off of everything else going on in the world 🙃

Until a defending champion is defeated on the court, in a championship tourney, they are still the champions. That's why they are referred to as "The Defending Champions"...

It would have been a hell of a lot of fun watching you guys, Baylor, Oregon, and a few other top teams go at it, but it didn't happen...

Baylor retains the title...
hi-res-8459f89a7e21e9e202ddd5ed67724443_crop_north.jpg
I never...and I repeat...never said we were any kind of champions. The Baylor team is the champion from 2018-19...period. Their championship ended there. They can say they are the defending champions from the last time one was played but to suggest they are the champions of the 2019-20 is absolutely false. You don not retain titles from year to year by default. Their championship is over...period. There was no 2019-20 champion and that includes Baylor...so stop suggesting they are still champions....They are just the last champions that got to win it on the court.

What about “Reigning” National champion?

Search Results

The reigning champion is the most recent winner of a contest or competition at the time you are talking about

By definition the most recent NCAA tourney was in 2019 so they are still National Champs?

I love this discussion.. it gets my mind off of everything else going on in the world 🙃

Would that still apply if, in a hypothetical situation, the school closed its doors? Could a nonexistent team still be the "reigning national champion?"

What if the sport were dropped by the NCAA? Would the title still apply?

I think of track events that changed from feet to meters. The last winner to compete at the previous distance could claim to be "reigning" (or "defending") champions in that event even though that actual event doesn't even exist any longer. And they'd forever be the "reigning champions" (for what that's worth).

Seems that the playing field has to be somewhat level for any claim to fame to stick. Other teams had to defend their reign within a calendar year. It's no one's fault that this years' tournament got cancelled, but it seems presumptuous to claim a title that one didn't have to do anything to win except exist. It's a fun discussion (I guess), but if it's about bragging rights, then shoot...even I can win a contest that never takes place. And if I win this year and there's no contest next year, I'm sure not going to act as though I'd done anything special or that the title ought to extend for perpetuity.

Especially under the circumstances that caused this year's cancellations. Baylor won the last championship that was held. Good for them, but that's as far as it should go unless other teams have the chance to dethrone them. Otherwise, the title is vacant for the time being. They got to be reigning and defending champs for a year just like everyone else. That ought to be enough for anyone.

The same thing applies to being #1 at the end of a season. Oregon could be #1 and then lose several first-round players to the WNBA. Does that mean that they should continue to be ranked #1 at the beginning of the next season (whenever that occurs)?

Last edited:
Reactions: Smallvol#1
Would that still apply if, in a hypothetical situation, the school closed its doors? Could a nonexistent team still be the "reigning national champion?"

What if the sport were dropped by the NCAA? Would the title still apply?

I think of track events that changed from feet to meters. The last winner to compete at the previous distance could claim to be "reigning" (or "defending") champions in that event even though that actual event doesn't even exist any longer. And they'd forever be the "reigning champions" (for what that's worth).

Seems that the playing field has to be somewhat level for any claim to fame to stick. Other teams had to defend their reign within a calendar year. It's no one's fault that this years' tournament got cancelled, but it seems presumptuous to claim a title that one didn't have to do anything to win except exist. It's a fun discussion (I guess), but if it's about bragging rights, then shoot...even I can win a contest that never takes place. And if I win this year and there's no contest next year, I'm sure not going to act as though I'd done anything special or that the title ought to extend for perpetuity.

Especially under the circumstances that caused this year's cancellations. Baylor won the last championship that was held. Good for them, but that's as far as it should go unless other teams have the chance to dethrone them. Otherwise, the title is vacant for the time being. They got to be reigning and defending champs for a year just like everyone else. That ought to be enough for anyone.

The same thing applies to being #1 at the end of a season. Oregon could be #1 and then lose several first-round players to the WNBA. Does that mean that they should continue to be ranked #1 at the beginning of the next season (whenever that occurs)?

Haha I’m not the poster you have to convince about the #1 arguement😂

I am just going by the letter of the definition fair or not. But again it doesn’t bother me either way.

Reactions: creekdipper
I never...and I repeat...never said we were any kind of champions. The Baylor team is the champion from 2018-19...period. Their championship ended there. They can say they are the defending champions from the last time one was played but to suggest they are the champions of the 2019-20 is absolutely false. You don not retain titles from year to year by default. Their championship is over...period. There was no 2019-20 champion and that includes Baylor...so stop suggesting they are still champions....They are just the last champions that got to win it on the court.

We get it. Gosh triggered much? We got it their championship is over. Done. Finished.

Sorta like the Cockytalk board it’s done, over, finished and we have been blessed with your presence😄

Last edited:
Reactions: volnationnj
We get it. Gosh triggered much? We got it their championship is over. Done. Finished.

Sorta like the Cockytalk board it’s done, over, finished and we have been blessed with your presence😄
I have been here 8 years longer than you...so...this was not a Cockytalk flip by any stretch. I was never a fan of Cockytalk. I started out by screwing with gule...but people just kept hoping on board to my post to him...but it's all good...and was kind of fun.

Reactions: Will83
I have been here 8 years longer than you...so...this was not a Cockytalk flip by any stretch. I was never a fan of Cockytalk. I started out by screwing with gule...but people just kept hoping on board to my post to him...but it's all good...and was kind of fun.

What exactly were people HOPING for?

LOL, anyways I know it was all in fun and I am glad you have been participating in supporting the LVs for that long. For the most part you are respectful and polite visitor and I’m not one of those who is offended by your self proclamation of ruling the roost (I think it was actually a good play on words). I actually think SC rising to the top will make other teams better and have always respected Dawn. She was a VA player before she was even linked to SC so I will always wish her success.

Now I am going to go back over and check out some more postings about our new recruit 😃

Stay safe and be blessed

Last edited:
What exactly were people HOPING for?

LOL, anyways I know it was all in fun and I am glad you have been participating in supporting the LVs for that long. For the most part you are respectful and polite visitor and I’m not one of those who is offended by your self proclamation of ruling the roost (I think it was actually a good play on words). I actually think SC rising to the top will make other teams better and have always respected Dawn. She was a VA player before she was even linked to SC so I will always wish her success.

Now I am going to go back over and check out some more postings about our new recruit 😃

Stay safe and be blessed
You got me....lol...hopping.....I didn't even proof read it because my phone rang...lol....you stay safe also....

Reactions: VA_VOLFAN

That made me laugh!

Superfly may be a little extra, but I give him a pass because he doesn't have a home board. But some of these other butt-inskis who ignore their own very active boards in order to bless us with their input? I can do without them.

Doesn't matter...Boston is better.....we beat them by 17.....Cox would not have made up for that. I would also point out that was early in the season before this team got on a roll. The experts all agreed it would be a South Carolina/Oregon final...never mentioned Baylor.....they were just mentioned as one of the top 3. We were No. 1 at seasons end...are going to be No.1 coming out of the gate...so as of now (as I have already said)...we rule the roost....lol....if that stings...I'm sorry but facts sometimes just trip people up so bad !!!!!
Ah the hallucinogenic effect of parochial fandom that causes some to detach from reality. Boston would be better if she had played against Cox. It would be quite an education for the freshman.

The 17 point spread would have been nonexistent. You have to subtract the points Boston would not have scored, add in the points Cox would have scored. Factor in the offensive rebounds for Boston that would have been defensive rebounds for Cox and vice versa at the other end. Allow for the Baylor guards to challenge the SC guards and force pressure on the offensive sets because they would have Cox behind them. What you end up with is a vastly different game and not a SC shoe in by any means. SC might have won but to declare victory in light of the truth, then you are truly Gamecock4Life and blind to rational exposition of the game;)

Last edited:
Reactions: ChattyVolfan
Ah the hallucinogenic effect of parochial fandom that causes some to detach from reality. Boston would be better if she had played against Cox. It would be quite an education for the freshman.

The 17 point spread would have been nonexistent. You have to subtract the points Boston would not have scored, add in the points Cox would have scored. Factor in the offensive rebounds for Boston that would have been defensive rebounds for Cox and vice versa at the other end. Allow for the Baylor guards to challenge the SC guards and force pressure on the offensive sets because they would have Cox behind them. What you end up with is a vastly different game and not a SC shoe in by any means. SC might have won but to declare victory in light of the truth, then you are truly Gamecock4Life and blind to rational exposition of the game;)
My assertion was as relevant as the notion that Cox would make a difference...something that you failed to pick up on. It's a "point/counter point" and not a declaration of the truth because the truth would be a real game. If someone makes an assertion...then I will offer a counter assertion.....assertions are not the truth and I have pointed that out in my own way....lol...

VN Store

Back